By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Reveals the Newest Addition to the 3DS Family: Nintendo 2DS

Its ugly...but I think it'll sell quite well, the price is low and it can play all the 3DS games. A good option to buy for a kid, plus its design might be harder to break due to no hinge so i can definatey see parents choosing this over the original 3DS for younger kids.

Bradford City Fan for life

Recent favourite games: Ni No Kuni, Fifa 13, Batman Arkham City

Best games of all time: Pokemon Red, Dragon Warrior 3, The last of us, Uncharted 2 and 3

3ds friend code add me: 1950-8131-6814

PSN ID: Mr_Vezzo_Khanny - add to start a clan in the last of us mutiplayer

Around the Network

Seems like some game sites have already tried it out.

From Kotaku:

HANDS-ON IMPRESSIONS

Nintendo let me try two working units of the 2DS at their offices in New York City earlier this week. Both appeared to function just fine, though the screens seemed small to my eyes, given that I've become comfortable playing with the 3DS XL and its nearly double-sized screens.

The most notable difference between units isn't really the lack of 3D graphics but the form factor. While it may appear ungainly and certainly doesn't fit in a pants pocket, it felt good in my hands. The circle pad, d-pad and face buttons were all easily accessible. Their placement on both sides of the upper screen directs one's focus more squarely on the upper screen, creating a little bit of the feeling of playing a game on a Wii U GamePad or original Game Boy Advance.

I was not able to test the comfort of playing a game that makes heavy use of the touch screen, the lower screen. But the fact that a 3DS XL-sized stylus ships with the system should help hand comfort. It also helps that the system is fairly light—lighter than the 3DS XL—and easier to hold with one hand.

The shoulder buttons on the 2DS are thicker than those on the 3DS and have a concave depression. That curvature makes the system easier to cradle and also helps with any one-hand play, presumably comfortably freeing the player's other hand to wield a stylus for touch-based games.

The overall build of the machine feels solid, but the design does look lower-budget. There's a lot of plastic to this thing with relatively little surface of the unit devoted to screens. Compare that to the 3DS XL, Sony's Vita or any popular smart phone and tablet, and it feels less than cutting edge. It does feel sturdy, though, so despite its sliced-bread shape, it doesn't feel like it will snap.

It's probably best to consider the 2DS in the same league as other experimental off-shoots of Nintendo's handheld line. This isn't the obvious improvement that the DS Lite was over the DSi or the 3DS XL over the 3DS. This is more akin to the oddities like the Game Boy Micro or the DSi XL... hardware that'll work just fine and is targeted at a different group of gamers that may prove to be a small niche or an underserved crowd waiting for a system they'd otherwise have missed.

Source

does it have similar ergonomics to the WiiU Gamepad. that wouldn't be so bad, although it still looks ugly and unnecessary

Low price, Nintendo wins.

Lowered price and scrapped 3D.

Will be buying this.

Around the Network

for 7 and under is my guess

3D has really failed to catch on, hasn't it. Well this could be a good thing, right? I mean the system is even cheaper now, for those who never cared about the 3D feature.

What the fuck is happening to this day?
1. Wonderful 101 flop
2. Ace Attorney 5 25 euro announcement
3. This thing
4. Wii U price drop
My brain isn't functioning right anymore :(
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

bananaking21 said:
_crazy_man_ said:
bananaking21 said:
price?!

$130

really interesting. i been interested in animal crossing lately so this might make me jump the gun. though there arent any other games on the system that really interest me

Out of over 2000 games to choose from, the only game on the thing that interests you is... Animal Crossing?

Price is great, looks are eeeuuuuu....