By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So PS4 Is Basically Going To Win This Gen, Right?

Well that is quite a premature announcement isn't it? Saying that there is a winner before the battle has even begun, is what this is. I'm not saying PlayStation 4 won't win, but it is definitely in the best position to sell the most software and hardware this Eighth Generation. Microsoft's Xbox One can still and most likely will be a successful console, but with the attitude towards Xbox gone negative, it could be tough.
Exclusives help sell Hardware and that will get people buying Xbox. Who has the best exclusives? Nintendo.
They may of had a rough first year with the Nintendo Wii U, but with exclusives like Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Metroid, and a Smash Bros, they can sell a lot of Wii U's. (A price drop may also help too.) So I think Sony are in the best position; followed by Nintendo then Microsoft, but it's too early to absolutely tell yet...

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I mean is there any way for Sony to screw this up?

They have the best chipset of the three and the most reasonably priced one since both Nintendo and MS got hung up on including expensive control devices in their boxes.

They are a full $100 cheaper than MS. Their system is easy to develop for. Third parties reportedly love it, so it will get a ton of devleoper support and perhaps have the best multi-plats.

Sony's embraced indie gaming as well and is even scooping up some of the more promising ones as exclusive. Their 1st/2nd party studios have gotten stronger over the years.

Nintendo doesn't have a Wiimote type craze to disrupt this console cycle either, and Sony isn't anchored to a $599.99 price point this time around either. Stripped of casuals, it looks like Nintendo is headed back to GameCube (worst case) or N64 (better case) levels. Which leaves MS.

Their launch lineup is a tad weak I think, but will be offset quickly by having so much developer support. Is there any way the PS4 doesn't win this gen worldwide? I mean sure, MS will probably give them all they can handle in the US, but globally ... looks like they have this gen on cruise control.

There is always room to screw things up. There are many things going in Sonys favor, yes. But after I misjuudged some stuff (and gaming companies too), I'm not too sure about the things I think and forum-goers think. We will have to see, how well PS4 and X1 launch and how well they sell into the new year. That will be interesting. so far I'm not convinced, I will lose my bet against Ninjablade (first 5 weeks of PS4 vs. WiiU, I lose if PS4 sells more). So lets wait and see, before we declare a winner.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I think PS3 will sell  better than the bone and both will be much greater than the Wii U. Remember when 2D Mario was the in thing to win a gen from Nintendo fanatics? I do. The Wii U has it now and is selling like a turtle. I do not think Mario Kart, nor Smash Bros will do much for it. 

Depends on the true Zelda being made. It will decide this gen.

chocoloco said:

I think PS3 will sell  better than the bone and both will be much greater than the Wii U. Remember when 2D Mario was the in thing to win a gen from Nintendo fanatics? I do. The Wii U has it now and is selling like a turtle. I do not think Mario Kart, nor Smash Bros will do much for it. 

Mario never sold a console by itself

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
chocoloco said:

Mario never sold a console by itself

I would never think such folly. It was a popular belief put forth mostly by a certain Nintendo fan that has almost a cult following on here. The idea was that having 2D Marios on a console would gurentee a Nintendo Sales victory. It was a very popular belief by some.
 So am saying that the games I mentioned will not create a huge sales rush for the Wii U. As those are often examples of what will cause the Wii U to sell like a market leader. 

Yeah, just like every other gen that they've participated in.

PS4 will win, but it won't dominate

(pats on head - no not going to challenging your points cause I don't feel like it.)

Now, now dear, things will be fine.

How do you define winning?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:
Sony pretty much cannot lose at this point, Nintendo and MS shot themselves in the foot too badly to race.

I tend to agree, but I think Kinect 2 might be the wildcard ... it really is impressive tech, and I don't even like the first Kinect. I just don't know if you can make a compelling game out of air gestures once the mini-game novelty of it wears off.

I think the everyday mother and father are going to go for the cheaper option for their children, the wii and its motion control "gimmick" worked well because it was so cheap and fun.....xbone might be "fun" but its not cheap