By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Many Copies Did The Last of Us Have To Sell To Become Profitable?

How many copies to make the game profitable?

Less than 1m 26 6.03%

1m 51 11.83%

1.5m 64 14.85%

2m 81 18.79%

2.5m 33 7.66%

3m 31 7.19%

3.5m 19 4.41%

4m 34 7.89%

See results 92 21.35%

Total:431
riderz13371 said:
iceboy151 said:
2.5M-3M at full retail price.

You think the games budget was $180M? That's GTA V numbers right there lol.

Now that I look at it, it's more like 2M-2.5M. But that $180M is revenue. 25% of that goes to retailers, 45% to the publisher, and to the rest, I don't know. 

Around the Network
paulrage2 said:
1.5 million copies at U$60 = 90 million

thats revenue, not profit. on a single copy of 60$ Sony would make around 34$. so 1 million sales would make them around 34 million dollars. 

the-pi-guy said:
riderz13371 said:
iceboy151 said:
2.5M-3M at full retail price.

You think the games budget was $180M? That's GTA V numbers right there lol.

Companies don't actually make all 60$.  

There was some sort of chart that showed that 3rd party gets about 27$ out of that 60$ and 7$ of that 60$ goes to the platform holder.  Seeing as Sony is the platform holder, they won't need to pay themselves for license fees, so Sony probaby gets 34$ for every copy sold.  So rather than GTA V, he is thinking GTA IV numbers.  Much smaller.

still, reaching 3 million sales at full price to be profitable would mean that they had a budget of 102 million which is simply insane

Guys not the whole 60$ goes to Sony :/

It's probably closer to 35$-40$.

Edit: ^Yeah that.

1 - 1.5 million including Marketing* costs. The tech was in place and developer had more experience with the engine and ps3's architecture by now. I don't get how some people are voting 3-4 million sales to just break even. It's your opinion so i can respect it somewhat.

*Marketing costs are hard to figure. Game had good buzz, reviews and word of mouth though. Best marketing. 

Around the Network
VXIII said:

2.5M copies sold = 150 million in revenue. It is very unlikely the project cost that much, considering that Uncharted 2 budget was around 20 million + marketing costs . ND is known for making every dollar counts .

I'd say less than 1.5M copies sold.

You have to minus the cut the retailer takes, the cost of the case and disc, the cut that Sony takes, and the shipping costs from the $60.  ND makes around $30 from each copy sold I think.

No more than 20 mil budget. It was profitable within its first mil. Don't know why the pull goes up to 4 mil. Should have just had intervals of 500k starting at 0

Max King of the Wild said:
No more than 20 mil budget. It was profitable within its first mil. Don't know why the pull goes up to 4 mil. Should have just had intervals of 500k starting at 0

The funny thing is more people picked 4m than less than 1m.

Is there an article saying what the budget was?

iceboy151 said:

Is there an article saying what the budget was?

None of the Uncharteds had a budget over 20mil and Im pretty sure its using the same graphics engine which is one of the most expensive parts to the budget