By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Many Copies Did The Last of Us Have To Sell To Become Profitable?

How many copies to make the game profitable?

Less than 1m 26 6.03%

1m 51 11.83%

1.5m 64 14.85%

2m 81 18.79%

2.5m 33 7.66%

3m 31 7.19%

3.5m 19 4.41%

4m 34 7.89%

See results 92 21.35%

Total:431

how much of 60$ go back to sony?
20$?
30$?

Around the Network

You cant count each copy as going 100% to the developer. It doesn't work that way. I'd say with 3million it is by now but not to the extent some are suggesting. they may only make 20.00 for every copy sold. More if digital so its safe to say its profitable at this point though sales for such a great game on a console with 90 million sold is really kind of low. Game should be at 10 million or more at this point.

ListerOfSmeg said:
You cant count each copy as going 100% to the developer. It doesn't work that way. I'd say with 3million it is by now but not to the extent some are suggesting. they may only make 20.00 for every copy sold. More if digital so its safe to say its profitable at this point though sales for such a great game on a console with 90 million sold is really kind of low. Game should be at 10 million or more at this point.

LMAO!!!! and how many new IP's this generation have managed that. 

These new users man.....They really need to study the sales before making such comments.

Heck he doesnt even know how much the console has sold xD xD xD 

Guys,your numbers on VgChartz are way off.It was announced in early July that it sold 3.4 million copies.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/09/the-last-of-us-sells-34-million-copies-in-three-weeks

So I would say it is nearing 5 million now if it hasn't already reached it.This game might reach Gran Turismo numbers this time next year.

And God,did it deserve it.

Ok this game doesnt have a huge budget like GTA 4....

This has only been developed for one platform making the development cost significantly lower than other 3rd party AAA games .

Sony makes about 30-35 dollars on every game where as 3rd party publisher makes around $25 ( at full price)

This game would have been profitable around the 1.5 million mark, once you factor in advertising at what not.

Around the Network
ListerOfSmeg said:

Really? Really? 10m? Given that the active install base is probably much less than the 80m consoles sold, you expect like 1 in 6 gamers to have bought it. I know it is very good and all, but there is no way you can expect GTA or CoD like numbers from something that is simply more hardcore and intimidating

Anyway, Uncharted 1 and 2 had development budgets of $20m. It is fairly safe to assume that the Last of Us had a similar budget. It was basically in development from when they finished Uncharted 2, which would be 3 1/2 years, but presumably the first year or so, it was just pre-production. They also had to hire tons of employees to basically double the size of the studio (Linked In suggests it has "201-500" which doesn't seem right. If I recall correctly, it had about 80 at the start of the gen). So maybe scale that to $25m and then $50 when you take into account the marketing?

So, assuming $30 per copy sold (conservative given that it is made by the platform holder), it needed to sell about 1.6m copies, which it has done easily. Also bare in mind that when they sell it through the PS store, they get ALL the money! So yeah, this game was really profitable for Sony.

the-pi-guy said:
Eternal said:

Guys,your numbers on VgChartz are way off.It was announced in early July that it sold 3.4 million copies.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/09/the-last-of-us-sells-34-million-copies-in-three-weeks

So I would say it is nearing 5 million now if it hasn't already reached it.This game might reach Gran Turismo numbers this time next year.

And God,did it deserve it.

That's shipped, not sold.  VgChatz might be way off, but that's not what the thread is abou

They clearly stated sold so I don't know what you don't understand about that.

But even if you are correct,difference between shipped and sold is so small,especially for this kind of title,can't imagine much of them standing on shelves.

So yeah,I bet near 5 million by now.You guys are also pretty ignorant about digital sales which are huge these days.

So with 5 million by now times 35$ = 175 million $.

Nice.

Munkeh111 said:
ListerOfSmeg said:

Really? Really? 10m? Given that the active install base is probably much less than the 80m consoles sold, you expect like 1 in 6 gamers to have bought it. I know it is very good and all, but there is no way you can expect GTA or CoD like numbers from something that is simply more hardcore and intimidating

Anyway, Uncharted 1 and 2 had development budgets of $20m. It is fairly safe to assume that the Last of Us had a similar budget. It was basically in development from when they finished Uncharted 2, which would be 3 1/2 years, but presumably the first year or so, it was just pre-production. They also had to hire tons of employees to basically double the size of the studio (Linked In suggests it has "201-500" which doesn't seem right. If I recall correctly, it had about 80 at the start of the gen). So maybe scale that to $25m and then $50 when you take into account the marketing?

So, assuming $30 per copy sold (conservative given that it is made by the platform holder), it needed to sell about 1.6m copies, which it has done easily. Also bare in mind that when they sell it through the PS store, they get ALL the money! So yeah, this game was really profitable for Sony.

He has no idea, dont bother....Plus the ps3 hasnt even sold 90 million lol heck not even 80 million!

ArmGunar said:
I read an article that said that the first week of The Last of Us made more money than the first US weekend of Man of Steel at Box Office !

Man of Steel made $116 millions the first weekend US ... so The Last of Us is profitable for a long long time, as long as its release :)

UK only revenue: http://www.digitalspy.ie/gaming/news/a490590/the-last-of-us-grosses-more-than-man-of-steel-in-opening-weekend.html

paulrage2 said:
1.5 million copies at U$60 = 90 million

That $90 million is total revenue, though.  It's not all going to Sony or to Naughty Dog.  Retail margins, manufacturing, shipping, etc.  Sony itself probably isn't making much more than $30 or so from each copy, if that.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.