By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Kid Plays Violent Video Game, Kills his Caretaker.

An 8-year-old boy who police say intentionally shot and killed his elderly caregiver on Thursday will not be charged with a crime, despite the heinous act he committed.

Investigators believe the boy, who police have not named because of his age, shot his elderly caregiver, Marie Smothers, in the back of the head while she sat and watched television,according to WAFB-TV.

The boy had just finished playing the violent, realistic video game “Grand Theft Auto IV.”

However, authorities say they are unable to charge the boy with a crime because of a Louisiana law that protects children from criminal responsibility.

The state law states that “those who have not reached the age of 10 years are exempt from criminal responsibility.”

Watch a local news report, courtesy of KPLC-TV:

KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Police said the boy initially claimed he accidentally shot Smothers while playing with a firearm, but investigators later determined the act was intentional.

Some news reports have described Smothers as 90-years-old, while others have portrayed her as 87-years-old.

The 8-year-old boy was released to his family Thursday night. The Washington Post reportsSmothers was a relative of the family.

(H/T: KTRK-TV)

My opinion: wow i have many confilicted feelings on this story. Im not one to blame video games for people going out and killing people. But an 8 year old playing GTAIV, i definitely think the game was a major contributing factor to why he shot and killed his babysitter. He's feakin 8 years old, wayyy to young to be playing games like GTA! at that age i dont really think he can fully differentiate between fiction virtual violence and killing and the real worl consequences to killing someone in real life. To an extent I do feel video games desencitizes us to things like violence (yes Pat robertson was largely right about that) which is why the rating system is inplace, it works. Violent video games are apropriate for the age groups in the rating. if kids have irresponsible parents and caretakers. video games can potentially lead to these kinds of things. 

Speaking of irresponsible parents, how the hell did this kid get a firearm. what kind of stupid parent and or caretaker leaves a firearm within reach of the child. I understand not locking up your firearm, incase you need it in an emergancy. but you still place it stratigically so its accessible to you but out of reach of your children. And you always teach your kids proper gun safety, like at that age, never touch or handle a gun without an adult present and if you see a firearm dont touch it, and immediately tell an adult. common sense stuff.

A weird case. because i dont normally blame video games or guns for crimes, but in this case it seems both seemed to contribute to his irresponsible caretakers death, well ultimately it was poor and negligant parenting that led this kid to murder(as he should have had neither access to GTA or a gun). .. also the kid seems to have some mental disorder, normal people dont kill other violent video game and guns or not.

A real shame.

Around the Network

Why the hell is an 8 year old playing GTA -.-

And where did he even get a gun?! Why would you leave a gun in arms reach of an 8 year old.

riderz13371 said:

Why the hell is an 8 year old playing GTA -.-

And where did he even get a gun?! Why would you leave a gun in arms reach of an 8 year old.

thats what im saying.

So ummmm .... why is an 8 year old playing a game rated M in the first place? Shouldn't he be playing games like Mario? No matter ... the finger will be pointed squarely at videogames, again.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

I could see letting a 2-4 year old off the hook. An 8 year old? Third grade?!?! When I was in third grade, I knew damn well what pointing a loaded gun at someones head, pulling the trigger would do. He should be locked away like little Michael Myers imo.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

Kid or not, someone who does that is fucked up in the head. Get rid of him now before he grows older and does worse.

like in city of god

ugh yet another case of "how the hell did that kid get a gun"

Who evers irresponsibility it was that lead to the boy having a gun in his hands should be charged with murder.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

fuck I hate headlines like this. It should be something like mentally ill kid kills caretaker. I was playing gta and what not at 8-10 years old and i dont have a streak of violence in me.

prayformojo said:
I could see letting a 2-4 year old off the hook. An 8 year old? Third grade?!?! When I was in third grade, I knew damn well what pointing a loaded gun at someones head, pulling the trigger would do. He should be locked away like little Michael Myers imo.

it's even worse here in germany where you can do shit till your 14th birthday. i have absolutely no clue how anyone can think a 13 years old doesn't know what he is doing.

A child should not play GTA, nor should he have access to weapons. Someone made a huge mistake.