By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will a game use two Wii U Gamepads?

Tagged games:

Which game will be the first to have 2 Gamepads functionality?

Mario Kart 8 35 20.59%

Super Smash Bros. 7 4.12%

Super Mario 3D World 3 1.76%

Some other unreleased or unnanounced game 70 41.18%

Some already released game 2 1.18%

Never 48 28.24%

See results 5 2.94%

Total:170
morenoingrato said:
outlawauron said:
morenoingrato said:
outlawauron said:

That price is. No way they could sell that for anything less than $150, and they'd be taking a huge loss if they did.

Huge loss? Really? I don't see the Gamepad costing more than 50% of the console.

We know that Nintendo charges $150 for replacement gamepads already. The cost of that + game would would be huge.

Oh. I didn't know that.

But meh, I think they are trying to profit somehow with that replacement unit.

I imagine there is some margin, but it can't be too high or otherwise they would have brought it to market.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
Yu-Gi-Oh

each "hand" on your own gamepad

WIN

Fckin brilliant!  I love Yugioh and currently have no way of playing it against a friend on a home console together but this would definitely work!

Sadly, I feel that Yugioh is dying and has been going downhill since GX

oniyide said:
archbrix said:
oniyide said:

Forget Reggie's last name. I messed up, but my point stands. i never trusted anything his says unless it comes from the mouth of someone who has actually involved the making of the system...and even then. 

Again, that's your prerogative. I guess time will tell if he was lying or not.

No what i meant by the time they get to that point if they even do, it will not be new and it wont have much of an impact. Cause people might have gotten tired of waiting.

Only a vast minority of people (at the moment anyway) are basing their WiiU purchase on the promise of two-gamepad play, so they're not really waiting to begin with.

SO its too expensive to sell on its own, fair enough. Thats no excuse to not have the system itself utilize two ESPECIALLY if someone who owns a WIi U can just take the tablet to a friend's house and use it their. Its not a luxury its common sense, I can take my PS3 controller and Wiimote and use it on my friends PS3 or Wii why cant I do that with the gamepad? makes no sense, not even use the functions just use it as an actually controller, IMHO this sends the wrong message.

The problem is that Nintendo would be designing features in the game with the assumption that either the buyer has a friend that also has a WiiU or doesn't mind spending an additional $150 for these features just to support two players.

To put it into perspective, the way Nintendoland launched you can spend the same amount of money for four Wii Remotes and have a total of five players as opposed to one additional Gamepad for only two players for the same price.

i think you are really underestimating the value of a local multiplayer experience. Imagine if teh original Wii could only use ONE wiimote, i dont think the Wii would have done nearly as well. BUt then again you cant be to sure its NOT having an effect on sales, but neither can I.

Yes you can just get four wiimotes, then whats the point? Why not just stick to Wii? Im sure that is question that alot of people are asking and id bet alot of them are doing just that.

Nintendo realizes the value of local multiplayer more than probably any other company and a prime example of this is that Nintendoland supports up to five players via Wii remotes. The only restriction is that the WiiU's Gamepad functionality is limited to only one at the moment, but as I already stated, it's prohibitively expensive to do presently, so I've already addressed that.

As for your last paragraph, that's not a valid point at all because you could ask that same question for any new game system. Why not just stick to PS3 instead of buying a PS4? The answer is the same: It's a whole new console with new software... and WiiU is just as big of a jump over the Wii in power and features as PS4 is over PS3.

archbrix said:

and WiiU is just as big of a jump over the Wii in power and features as PS4 is over PS3.

Actually I'd say Wii to Wii U is a considerably larger power upgrade than PS3 to PS4.

curl-6 said:
archbrix said:

and WiiU is just as big of a jump over the Wii in power and features as PS4 is over PS3.

Actually I'd say Wii to Wii U is a considerably larger power upgrade than PS3 to PS4.

Yeah, I think it's a bigger jump as well (or at the very least a bigger perceivable jump) but to avoid argument on the topic I kept the comparison modest.

Around the Network

i think that was better if wii U was 2 or 3 times stronger to suport 4 gamepads.
Also, with the extra power it could get more ps4/One games when played with only 1 gamepad.

archbrix said:
oniyide said:
archbrix said:
oniyide said:

Forget Reggie's last name. I messed up, but my point stands. i never trusted anything his says unless it comes from the mouth of someone who has actually involved the making of the system...and even then. 

Again, that's your prerogative. I guess time will tell if he was lying or not.

No what i meant by the time they get to that point if they even do, it will not be new and it wont have much of an impact. Cause people might have gotten tired of waiting.

Only a vast minority of people (at the moment anyway) are basing their WiiU purchase on the promise of two-gamepad play, so they're not really waiting to begin with.

SO its too expensive to sell on its own, fair enough. Thats no excuse to not have the system itself utilize two ESPECIALLY if someone who owns a WIi U can just take the tablet to a friend's house and use it their. Its not a luxury its common sense, I can take my PS3 controller and Wiimote and use it on my friends PS3 or Wii why cant I do that with the gamepad? makes no sense, not even use the functions just use it as an actually controller, IMHO this sends the wrong message.

The problem is that Nintendo would be designing features in the game with the assumption that either the buyer has a friend that also has a WiiU or doesn't mind spending an additional $150 for these features just to support two players.

To put it into perspective, the way Nintendoland launched you can spend the same amount of money for four Wii Remotes and have a total of five players as opposed to one additional Gamepad for only two players for the same price.

i think you are really underestimating the value of a local multiplayer experience. Imagine if teh original Wii could only use ONE wiimote, i dont think the Wii would have done nearly as well. BUt then again you cant be to sure its NOT having an effect on sales, but neither can I.

Yes you can just get four wiimotes, then whats the point? Why not just stick to Wii? Im sure that is question that alot of people are asking and id bet alot of them are doing just that.

Nintendo realizes the value of local multiplayer more than probably any other company and a prime example of this is that Nintendoland supports up to five players via Wii remotes. The only restriction is that the WiiU's Gamepad functionality is limited to only one at the moment, but as I already stated, it's prohibitively expensive to do presently, so I've already addressed that.

As for your last paragraph, that's not a valid point at all because you could ask that same question for any new game system. Why not just stick to PS3 instead of buying a PS4? The answer is the same: It's a whole new console with new software... and WiiU is just as big of a jump over the Wii in power and features as PS4 is over PS3.

So because they added ONE more player they value it more than others? PS3 supports up to 6 controllers at a time so by that logic they actually value local MP the most. (Only game i know that supports six players is Xmen) and that game has NO compromise between players. Yes its expensive so now they have what is essentially a halfassed attempt to fix it, if you're fine with that thats cool but I imagine alot of people arent.

No its not the same. Wii U is a big jump on Wii, so what? its not a big jump on PS3 or 360 systems that been on the market for years. Unless you believe that each exists in a vacuum and only Wii owners will buy Wii U. PS4  and x1 are also a big jump over Wii U

oniyide said:

So because they added ONE more player they value it more than others? PS3 supports up to 6 controllers at a time so by that logic they actually value local MP the most. (Only game i know that supports six players is Xmen) and that game has NO compromise between players. Yes its expensive so now they have what is essentially a halfassed attempt to fix it, if you're fine with that thats cool but I imagine alot of people arent.

No its not the same. Wii U is a big jump on Wii, so what? its not a big jump on PS3 or 360 systems that been on the market for years. Unless you believe that each exists in a vacuum and only Wii owners will buy Wii U. PS4  and x1 are also a big jump over Wii U

Are you serious? Where on the box does WiiU promote the two-gamepad functionaliy? It's not like they're deceiving customers. I could just as easily say that Sony half-assed the PS4 because it doesn't have backwards compatibility. Makes about as much sense.

And your second point is complete folly. Don't try and change your argument now: You asked, "why upgrade from Wii to WiiU? Why not just stick with Wii?", and I explained why. Simple.

archbrix said:
oniyide said:

Are you serious? Where on the box does WiiU promote the two-gamepad functionaliy? It's not like they're deceiving customers. I could just as easily say that Sony half-assed the PS4 because it doesn't have backwards compatibility. Makes about as much sense.

And your second point is complete folly. Don't try and change your argument now: You asked, "why upgrade from Wii to WiiU? Why not just stick with Wii?", and I explained why. Simple.

Sony did kinda half assed it cause they dont have backward compatibility...so yeah.

What did you explain? Wii U doesnt offer that much difference over systems that have been on shelves for years. If they wanted an upgrade they could have easily bought a PS360, which is what they have been doing, looking at the sales of those systems versus those of Wii U. So either people dont care about upgrading or they dont actually see it as an upgrade. pick one

oniyide said:
archbrix said:
oniyide said:

Sony did kinda half assed it cause they dont have backward compatibility...so yeah.

What did you explain? Wii U doesnt offer that much difference over systems that have been on shelves for years. If they wanted an upgrade they could have easily bought a PS360, which is what they have been doing, looking at the sales of those systems versus those of Wii U. So either people dont care about upgrading or they dont actually see it as an upgrade. pick one

Are you seriously still going on about this?

*sigh*

For the last time, this was what you asked, "Why upgrade from Wii to WiiU? Why not just stick with Wii?" That's a question even a child could answer - the same reason anyone would upgrade, because it's a whole new console with a whole new library and far more capabilities than its predecessor. Whether or not you think it's worth upgrading is subjective (same as upgrading from PS3 to PS4), but the fact is that the upgrade is significant. End of story.

You then proceeded to raise the completely different point of WiiU not being a big leap over the existing HD consoles - something I never contested in the first place. So instead of accepting the answer to the question you asked, you shifted your argument away from it to an entirely different point.