By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will a game use two Wii U Gamepads?

Tagged games:

Which game will be the first to have 2 Gamepads functionality?

Mario Kart 8 35 20.59%

Super Smash Bros. 7 4.12%

Super Mario 3D World 3 1.76%

Some other unreleased or unnanounced game 70 41.18%

Some already released game 2 1.18%

Never 48 28.24%

See results 5 2.94%

Total:170

i dont expect to see 2 gamepads until mid gen, or 2015.

Around the Network

I remember hearing somewhere that the only way two gamepads could be used at once is if they're only showing 2D images. If that's true then Smash Bros. and 6 player Mario Kart are no goes. Should still work well for stuff like Pikmin, where the second screen is used as a map in stuff.

spemanig said:
If Nintendo can sell 40m video game balance boards, they can sell a gaming tablet.

well they havent really been doing that, now have they?

OT its not going to be any of those games. I always thought it was a hardware and price issue and thsoe problems just dont go away. Should have had two gamepad support from the beginning the fact that they didnt and still dont tells me its a little harder to implement than some think

PigPen said:
I emailed Nintendo about the second gamepad. Nintendo emailed me back basically saying when there are games to support it. Developers will support a second gamepad into their games when it is available. So looking at it they way I say never.

this, the system itself doesnt support two gamepads, no reason so believe one game will magically do. They are going to have to do a massive firmware update to have it do that. 

If you're going to reply tell me something I don't know. You don't think I know the Wii U comes with one gamepad. Nintendo can sell a separate gamepad in stores.

Around the Network

Nintendo stated it would come in 2013, however none of their 1st party have this capability. So in reality this may just be a hollow promise and really never materialize.

I'd think Wii U needs to take off better in install base so the cost of materials come down and thus make a stand-alone gamepad marketable at a reasonable price for an accessory.

The two gamepads things don't really seem that important to me at this stage. I'd rather Nintendo focused on filling out their game line-up with the dozens of games that are due a sequel. e.g. F-Zero.

For whatever reason at the moment I'm getting a "ok we announced it but let's just never talk about it again" vibe from this feature a la the vitality sensor. Could easily end up incorrect obviously, but that's my current theory.

oniyide said:
PigPen said:
I emailed Nintendo about the second gamepad. Nintendo emailed me back basically saying when there are games to support it. Developers will support a second gamepad into their games when it is available. So looking at it they way I say never.

this, the system itself doesnt support two gamepads, no reason so believe one game will magically do. They are going to have to do a massive firmware update to have it do that. 

Nintendo can sell the gamepad separately you know.

oniyide said:
spemanig said:
If Nintendo can sell 40m video game balance boards, they can sell a gaming tablet.

well they havent really been doing that, now have they?

OT its not going to be any of those games. I always thought it was a hardware and price issue and thsoe problems just dont go away. Should have had two gamepad support from the beginning the fact that they didnt and still dont tells me its a little harder to implement than some think

That's different. They are having trouble selling consoles, not gamepads. When the sell another gamepad, it will be as a periferal, which is completely different marketing.