By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will a game use two Wii U Gamepads?

Tagged games:

Which game will be the first to have 2 Gamepads functionality?

Mario Kart 8 35 20.59%

Super Smash Bros. 7 4.12%

Super Mario 3D World 3 1.76%

Some other unreleased or unnanounced game 70 41.18%

Some already released game 2 1.18%

Never 48 28.24%

See results 5 2.94%

Total:170
zorg1000 said:
tbone51 said:
zorg1000 said:
Wii Sports U, they will have it bundled with a Gamepad for $99

are you for real ????? O.o

Is that too crazy a prediction?

That price is. No way they could sell that for anything less than $150, and they'd be taking a huge loss if they did.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I want Four Swords Adventures or Crystal Chronicles. Some of my favorite GameCube/GBA games.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

PigPen said:

If you're going to reply tell me something I don't know. You don't think I know the Wii U comes with one gamepad. Nintendo can sell a separate gamepad in stores.

never said you didnt know that. Ninty can sell what they want, but it dont mean nothing if the system itself cant support two gamepads. The fact that they dont sell it separately tells me it must be expensive on its own, would love to see how they market a controller that cost close to 100 bucks

I think only when they release a wii U slim with little bit updated hardware will you be able to use 2 pads

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

i have a question. why would you want a game with 2 gamepads? seriously, i'd really like to know. i guess 3 player split screen could be cool.

Around the Network
PigPen said:
oniyide said:
PigPen said:
I emailed Nintendo about the second gamepad. Nintendo emailed me back basically saying when there are games to support it. Developers will support a second gamepad into their games when it is available. So looking at it they way I say never.

this, the system itself doesnt support two gamepads, no reason so believe one game will magically do. They are going to have to do a massive firmware update to have it do that. 

Nintendo can sell the gamepad separately you know.

And it is far telling that they don't do such.

Nintendo knows that people would have bought a second game pad regardless of cost to try to use it for multiplayer even if the system didn't have games that would recognize it. But rather then confuse people due to the similarity with the Wii (no doubt more then a few illterate of gaming beyond the Wii would have assumed it would worked with the device) or that would complain about it not working at all with any software they chose not to sell it. Nintendo honestly never had this issue with the hardware they packed in their devices before which makes you have to think some one really didn't think about multiple GamePads being used on one system until LATE in its development if at all.

After all why not gain extra cash selling the Gamepads and allow two Gamepads to work even if the touch screen function on the second one does nothing while playing a game like NSMB U at first if they REALLY considered 2 GamePad games a option at some point soon.

oniyide said:
PigPen said:

If you're going to reply tell me something I don't know. You don't think I know the Wii U comes with one gamepad. Nintendo can sell a separate gamepad in stores.

never said you didnt know that. Ninty can sell what they want, but it dont mean nothing if the system itself cant support two gamepads. The fact that they dont sell it separately tells me it must be expensive on its own, would love to see how they market a controller that cost close to 100 bucks

No that tells you that nintendo don't want consumers to think they can use it with wii.. Think of them casuals, who thought it was.. After this cristmas it will no longer be a problem, people will know.. :)

Ont.. i think mariokart will support it.. but not like a tablet controller (or also).. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will make a headversion of the upad..

Meaning.. Mariokart bundlet with a headversion of the upad (cheapper becurse it will not need buttons or touch) giving us true VR.

If they did.. it will make perfect sense to support 2 players (headversion of upad)  and others can watch.. or even join the game on tv..

(i think that why the new zelda also supports playing in first person.. and i think Bawl will support it to..  :)

FromDK said:
oniyide said:
PigPen said:

No that tells you that nintendo don't want consumers to think they can use it with wii.. Think of them casuals, who thought it was.. After this cristmas it will no longer be a problem, people will know.. :)

Ont.. i think mariokart will support it.. but not like a tablet controller (or also).. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will make a headversion of the upad..

Meaning.. Mariokart bundlet with a headversion of the upad (cheapper becurse it will not need buttons or touch) giving us true VR.

If they did.. it will make perfect sense to support 2 players (headversion of upad)  and others can watch.. or even join the game on tv..

(i think that why the new zelda also supports playing in first person.. and i think Bawl will support it to..  :)

nope, what NoirSon said makes a lot more sense, their not selling two pads because of confusion and basically the SYSTEM itself cannot support two. If it could they would have had games supporting it already. Mario Kart8 is not gonna support nothing, its coming out too soon for Ninty to have to do anything about it. I dont even think a firmware update could deal with this, it would have to massive.

I think it will never. Nintendo seemed to already have gave up on the gamepad and make only game that can basicaly work w/o it. They are slowly stopping supporting it so forget using 2, it won't happen.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

oniyide said:
[...]

their not selling two pads because of confusion and basically the SYSTEM itself cannot support two.

Wrong:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/06/14/fils-aime-wii-u-can-support-two-controllers

If it could they would have had games supporting it already.

The current BOM of the Gamepad would probably make the cost of buying the console and an extra controller close to $500 for the consumer. It would make sense to wait until the cost comes down on the Gamepad (not to mention the console) before introducing games that take advantage of this setup.

Mario Kart8 is not gonna support nothing, its coming out too soon for Ninty to have to do anything about it.

Agreed.

I dont even think a firmware update could deal with this, it would have to massive.

You're not thinking outside the box. Streaming a full, graphic-intensive game to two Gamepads while simultaneously displaying on the TV is almost certainly not in the cards. But consider simpler tasks instead, like two users play calling in Madden or a WiiU Party sequel with something simple being displayed on the Gamepads independent of the full game which is displayed only on the TV. It's not about trying to display a full game multiple times, but using the screen and its functionality in unique, simpler ways - something that would most often be akin to "casual games"; and at the moment the entry price of this functionality is prohibitively expensive for that market.