By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - At what level does the Vita become a success?

Tagged games:

DucksUnlimited said:

Even if it only made a dollar, it would still be a success (albeit an extremely minor one). You're arguing that something isn't a success because something more succesful could have been made. That doesn't make the initial investment a failure, just less of a success.

Not at all, you need to include "oportunity cost" into that meassure.

Sony decided that creating a second handheld was more profitable, or better for them, than make a more impressive PS4, creating or buying some sturios, or I don't know, anything that could bring them profit.

PSV exists because it was more profitable than other ventures. It could be very well that one thing that Sony wants is something intangible like Brand Building, which could not really be meassured. But saying that making just $1 is a succes, well, you are delusional.

Around the Network
benao87 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Even if it only made a dollar, it would still be a success (albeit an extremely minor one). You're arguing that something isn't a success because something more succesful could have been made. That doesn't make the initial investment a failure, just less of a success.

Sony decided that creating a second handheld was more profitable, or better for them, than make a more impressive PS4, creating or buying some sturios, or I don't know, anything that could bring them profit.

PSV exists because it was more profitable than other ventures. It could be very well that one thing that Sony wants is something intangible like Brand Building, which could not really be meassured. But saying that making just $1 is a succes, well, you are delusional.

Thank you for saving me the effort.

Profitability is a success. Everyone saying it still being on the market is a success, no...thats just an inevitability of what is to come.

benao87 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Those things aren't mutually exclusive though. They could have created the Vita AND been involved in other ventures if they so wished. The entire point of oppertunity cost is that you only have a set amount of resources, which is not the case in this scenario. 

The childish insults are uneccessary and aren't doing your argument any favors.

JWeinCom said:
benao87 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

I'd suggest you read my response.

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:

Those things aren't mutually exclusive though. They could have created the Vita AND been involved in other ventures if they so wished. The entire point of oppertunity cost is that you only have a set amount of resources, which is not the case in this scenario. 

The childish insults are uneccessary and aren't doing your argument any favors.

I'm afraid that you do not understand the concept of opportunity cost. They are surely getting indirect benefits from the PSV venture, however that's not the point.

I apologize if you found the last part as an insult, it was merely to illustrate that you are ignoring a lot of important stuff. Look, I'm not here to prove you wrong, as this is supposed to be a subjective matter. For all that I care, Sony themselves have known that PSV won't turn profit, and they are just trying to pump some studios to make better relationships for the PS4, I don't know, and frankly I don't care. But if you are taking profit as a measure for success you will need to take a lot of stuff into consideration, and $1 is not a success.

DucksUnlimited said:
JWeinCom said:
benao87 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

I'd suggest you read my response.

I did.  You post the idea that Sony has unlimited resources which is absolutely not true.  Sony has a finite amount of resources particularly in regards to cash.  The company is in debt and needs to make money to offset that. Investing wisely is key.   If you hold to the idea that making one dollar over the course of 5 years would be a success, than there is no point in continuing this.

One original game every 3 months that cannot be found in any other platform with a review score of at least 7.5 would be a success in my book... My vita is as useless as a brick right now and the upcoming games doesn't seem to make it anyless useless so far

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Stick a fork in this one. Vita is a fish out of water, flip flopping all over the place. The only thing it seems to be content with doing is provding the hardcore Sony fan the kind of content only they could enjoy. Mainstream success is completely out of the question. Financial success..not sure that will happen either.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

It doesn't have to beat the 3DS at all. I think if it sells 6 or 7 million a year that is enough to be successful.

But, personally i consider it successful now as it gets a decent amount of support, especially from indies.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018