By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - At what level does the Vita become a success?

Tagged games:

If it´s life time sales are higher than the GameCube´s...

I love you so much, my purple little lunchbox  T.T

jokes aside: I would say that the profits are the important factor to determine if a system qualifies as being a success or not, and to a lesser degree marketshare.

...the Vita is a "success" like the GameCube was

Around the Network
Salnax said:

Now that there has been another round of news for the Vita, including a $50 price cut and more indie game announcements, people are arguing whether the Vita can become a success.

My question is: "What exactly is success for the Vita?"

For 6 years, from 2005 to 2010, the PSP sold from about 9 to 14 million units a year. Not a bad sum, and the PSP was largely a success.

Does the Vita have to reach the same high standard? Bear in mind it only sold 3.6 million last year, and is under 1.4 million in 2013 so far.

Could a lower bar like, say, 7 to 10 million a year for a few years be enough to make it a sucessful platform? Should it aim lower?

Does the very fact that the Vita is still on the market make it a success?

Does it have to beat the 3DS?

Is it enough to be sucessful in only one or a couple of markets?

Does being profitable make it a success?

I'm asking this because, from where I'm standing, I don't understand some of the optimism around the platform. I suppose that the Vita can succeed, but I'd like to know what that means before arguing the point.

That's the only one that matters.

DucksUnlimited said:
Salnax said:

Now that there has been another round of news for the Vita, including a $50 price cut and more indie game announcements, people are arguing whether the Vita can become a success.

For 6 years, from 2005 to 2010, the PSP sold from about 9 to 14 million units a year. Not a bad sum, and the PSP was largely a success.

Does the Vita have to reach the same high standard? Bear in mind it only sold 3.6 million last year, and is under 1.4 million in 2013 so far.

Could a lower bar like, say, 7 to 10 million a year for a few years be enough to make it a sucessful platform? Should it aim lower?

I'm asking this because, from where I'm standing, I don't understand some of the optimism around the platform. I suppose that the Vita can succeed, but I'd like to know what that means before arguing the point.

Not really.  I mean, yes profit is the point, but it's also a question of how much profit it makes.  If the Vita makes a profit of a million dollars over a life of five years, that's not a success.  I mean, sure they made a million dollars, but they could have made far more money investing in other activities.  Simply being profitable isn't enough.  

well i will be watching the numbers to see how the pricecut helps. sony listened to the complaints about the pricing and at least addressed it for the most part. for some it will never be cheap enough.

to me its successful seeing how it doesnt collect dust for the most part. i go back and forth some weeks i barley play it, other weeks im more on the go and use it much more.

JWeinCom said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Salnax said:

Not really.  I mean, yes profit is the point, but it's also a question of how much profit it makes.  If the Vita makes a profit of a million dollars over a life of five years, that's not a success.  I mean, sure they made a million dollars, but they could have made far more money investing in other activities.  Simply being profitable isn't enough.  

By that thinking nothing is a success, because there's always the possibility that a company could have invested in something different and made more profit.

Around the Network
DucksUnlimited said:
JWeinCom said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Salnax said:

By that thinking nothing is a success, because there's always the possibility that a company could have invested in something different and made more profit.

You can't know that something was absolutely 100% the best investment, but you can take a reasonable guess.  To make things simpler, lets use games as an example.  Let's say that Sony earns an average of 20 million dollars for a game they spend 50 million dollars creating.  So, if they make a game for 50 million dollars, and only make 5 million dollars on the investment, then they know they made a poor choice.  It's not an exact science, but companies know how much of a return they should be getting for whatever amount of money they spend.  

To give an extreme example, lets say the Vita ends up profiting $1 dollar over its life.  While Sony may not know exaclty how much they could have made on that investment, they know for sure they could have made more than a dollar.

Vita is already a success, check the tie ratio and include the digital sales. It's really high for a handeld, so it won't be loss for Sony.

Plus Vita users seem satisfied with the handeld, and so am I.

I don't see a reason for it to be called a failure because of low hardware sales.

JWeinCom said:
DucksUnlimited said:
JWeinCom said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Salnax said:

You can't know that something was absolutely 100% the best investment, but you can take a reasonable guess.  To make things simpler, lets use games as an example.  Let's say that Sony earns an average of 20 million dollars for a game they spend 50 million dollars creating.  So, if they make a game for 50 million dollars, and only make 5 million dollars on the investment, then they know they made a poor choice.  It's not an exact science, but companies know how much of a return they should be getting for whatever amount of money they spend.  

To give an extreme example, lets say the Vita ends up profiting $1 dollar over its life.  While Sony may not know exaclty how much they could have made on that investment, they know for sure they could have made more than a dollar.

Even if it only made a dollar, it would still be a success (albeit an extremely minor one). You're arguing that something isn't a success because something more succesful could have been made. That doesn't make the initial investment a failure, just less of a success.

attaboy said:
I guess when it becomes a viable platform for developers and they can profit from their games. It doesn't have to beat the 3DS or anything like that.

I wouldn't rely so much on developers in an era where a game can sell 5 million copies and still not be considered successful by its publisher.

First and foremost, the console has to be profitable for Sony -- not necessarily in strictly financial terms.

I suppose that's about it. Of course, there's more to the situation than simply "success" or "failure." Selling 50 million consoles might be a success, but selling 100 million would be more successful. And if the Vita only manages to scrape by with the bare minimum of what is necessary to be called a success, it's not very much of a success.

Being profitable is the key thing. But for us? I think over 100k a week on average, so 5.2mil a year, will be deemed acceptable.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.