By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AMD: PS4 performance advantage over XB1 bigger than many expect thanks to hUMA

Somini said:
nightsurge said:

More ignorance I see...

You are making more assumptions out of nothing. And to be honest, I don't need to do research because my career already involves the kind of knowledge you are asking for.

Respawn isn't talking about MS cloud powered games, just the dedicated server aspect of it.

If you don't stop spreading fud and misinformation I will report you. It is against the rules.

Stop calling him names in every post you make, if you felt your argument was sound enough you wouldn't have urge to do that.

As for having access first hand, AMD does and they said this themselves. That they retracted their comment does not mean it's true, it means their partner didn't like it being in the open. You can't be THAT unknowning of how corporations do this kinda thing!

I did not call him any names. You must be misreading things.

And AMD did not say this, one manager at AMD said it. They retracted it because it was inaccurate and didn't specify in what ways. Im sure they do have an NDA that prevents them from talking about either chip. I believe other people also pointed out that it was a poor translation and that the original statement never said anything about MS's chip not having huma. I could be wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere in this mess of a thread and elsewhere.

Around the Network

The Xbox One APU is based on the Jaguar APU. This was confirmed by Microsoft back in May. The Jaguar APU provides full hardware coherency through heterogeneous system architecture, which includes hUMA.

The Xbox One APU, however is not as near to the Jaguar as the PS4 APU is. The Xbox One APU is highly customized by Microsoft.

AMD cannot comment on what features are a part of the Xbox One APU because there is a Non-Disclosure Agreement between the two companies, and Microsoft did their own customization at their own facility in Silicon Valley. That's why the statement was retracted. Yes, the PS4 APU includes hUMA. AMD can say that. They cannot say, due to their NDA what the Xbox One APU does or does not include, especially since they weren't the designers of the final silicon, Microsoft was.

But again, they are both Jaguar APUs Jaguar APUs include hUMA. If nothing else, at the very least, the DDR memory (the 8GB) would utilize hUMA and the ESRAM does not.

nightsurge said:
Somini said:
nightsurge said:

More ignorance I see...

You are making more assumptions out of nothing. And to be honest, I don't need to do research because my career already involves the kind of knowledge you are asking for.

Respawn isn't talking about MS cloud powered games, just the dedicated server aspect of it.

If you don't stop spreading fud and misinformation I will report you. It is against the rules.

Stop calling him names in every post you make, if you felt your argument was sound enough you wouldn't have urge to do that.

As for having access first hand, AMD does and they said this themselves. That they retracted their comment does not mean it's true, it means their partner didn't like it being in the open. You can't be THAT unknowning of how corporations do this kinda thing!

I did not call him any names. You must be misreading things.

And AMD did not say this, one manager at AMD said it. They retracted it because it was inaccurate and didn't specify in what ways. Im sure they do have an NDA that prevents them from talking about either chip. I believe other people also pointed out that it was a poor translation and that the original statement never said anything about MS's chip not having huma. I could be wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere in this mess of a thread and elsewhere.

First, no you did not call him any names, but this guy is trying to taunt you so he can report you and sleep well this weekend :).
And the other one talking about the cloud does not understand anything about it... Don't waste your time, just ignore them and stay on track with the thread.

As for the AMD statement; it is actually very funny. Everytime a company is saying ANYTHING positive about Microsoft, it is either bullshit, payed for, not true even if they are using the dev. kits, etc...

Now that a "manager" at AMD did that kind of statement and after AMD retract it (for unknown reason); it cannot be anything but the absolute truth... This is just hilarious how they are always turning everything their way :)

ShinmenTakezo said:
nightsurge said:

More ignorance I see...

You're calling respawn ignorant?

Why do you keep insisting you have knowledge in this field and yet show absolutely know proof of technical knowledge? All you do is repeat MS talking point word for word. You exibit no personal knowledge of how dedicated servers work or PC hardware.

@bolded If your career at all involved these things we are discussing, doing research on them would be vital to your job. Something smells fishy here.

Me spreading fud and misinfo.........LOL. That's a good one. I haven't cried in years, thanks. Oh the irony! Please report me, it will amount to absolutely nothing.

Oh my goodness... this is pointless. You can't seem to coprehend anything I say.

I wasn't calling Respawn ignorant. I was calling your flawed assumptions and interpretations of their statements ignorant.

Second, we have presented you with evidence beyond just MS, but you still ignored it.

Third, you have exhibited zero knowledge or proof of any of your supposed research in this thread. When we provide you some, you ignore it and keep saying its wrong.

Fourth, you keep taking this off topic, which is against the rules as well.

Fifth, MS has not been lying about anything. Sony fanboys keep saying that and it is ridiculous and without evidence. Just because they changed their policies does not mean they lied. Their original statements were based on their original policies and so were the truth.

Sixth, my work does involve a lot of research on  these things. That's how I know your made up research is wrong and why I do not need to do research on this topic myself, because it is already aquired knowledge!

Seventh, @Adinnieken, we should just give up. He will never stop this nonsense nor ever learn. Not worth our time.

nightsurge said:

Oh my goodness... this is pointless. You can't seem to coprehend anything I say.

I wasn't calling Respawn ignorant. I was calling your flawed assumptions and interpretations of their statements ignorant.

Second, we have presented you with evidence beyond just MS, but you still ignored it.

Third, you have exhibited zero knowledge or proof of any of your supposed research in this thread. When we provide you some, you ignore it and keep saying its wrong.

Fifth, MS has not been lying about anything. Sony fanboys keep saying that and it is ridiculous and without evidence. Just because they changed their policies does not mean they lied. Their original statements were based on their original policies and so were the truth.

Sixth, my work does involve a lot of research on  these things. That's how I know your made up research is wrong and why I do not need to do research on this topic myself, because it is already aquired knowledge!

Seventh, @Adinnieken, we should just give up. He will never stop this nonsense nor ever learn. Not worth our time.

@bolded A blatant lie

Where is your tech prowess? Isn't this stuff part of your career? You make my argument so easy.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Then report me.

nightsurge said:

What exactly are these things? Where do you work and what do you do there?

Moderated (and quote tree shortened) - Kresnik

I agree with those saying AMD is praising the features of the APU model used in PS4 also because it is closer to standard APUs, while MS version instead are more deeply customised and it will most probably remain a product sold exclusively to MS, unless MS itself, that owns many of the customisations, agrees to sell them to other buyers too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ShinmenTakezo said:
nightsurge said:
ShinmenTakezo said:
nightsurge said:

Called what?

Your posts are all over the place and very confusing...

Either that or maybe you didn't bother to read everything to understand the context. Yeah, I think that might be it.

I'll save you some time though.

When some one posted AMD's "retraction" I commented that people were going to run with that as proof that they were right

Oh the retraction was just one piece of the pie. The fact that there is tons of other evidence supporting that Xbox One had the same/similar technology is overwhelming.

I find it hilarious that you kept calling people out for "listening to the talking heads" or whatnot, yet you jump on ONE tiny, poorly translated statement by someone from AMD.

What exactly do YOU have to try and prove you are right (that PS4 has this unified memory tech and Xbox One doesn't)?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

This article is from April. Me, and many others on here it seems listened to Mark Cerny when he spoke. He addresses using edram would have been a complication and a UNIFIED MEMORY SYSTEM is better. That statement he makes tells you that you cannot have hUMA with an edram chip on die. Then there is the fact that AMD confirms this. Then you do a little research on what hUMA is and what it means. Finally you mix in a little logic, and wa-la.

Your tons of evidence comes soley from MS and one "retracted" statement from AMD. Do some research and stop repeating things MS talking heads have been saying. These guys have been lying through their teeth since the reveal, yet you take their word like it's the gospel.

Good catch!  I never thought about that, but it is true and thus completely proves hUMA isn't on the Xbox One.

This may put this argument to rest, but i doubt it will, but read this :

According to them, Kaveri will utilize GDDR5 memory solution in addition to using DDR3, allocated to the iGP chip. AMD plans to use a 128-bit memory interface with the Kaveri APU platform, it however remains to be seen whether the GDDR5 memory chips would be permanently soldered on the FM2/FM3 motherboard itself or would use some other configuration layout.

http://gamingio.com/2013/04/amd-to-bring-gddr5-unified-memory-architecture-for-cpuapus-as-cost-lowers/

Kaveri will be the first SOC APU with hUMA  for PC's in 2014

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.