By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much weight do reviews have on your purchasing decision?

So?

Alot, reviews come first 29 22.66%

Somewhat, reviews and faith 59 46.09%

None, blind faith! 27 21.09%

hmmmm 12 9.38%

Total:127

So, saw the wonderful 101 threads/metacritics and noticed some people complaining about the 7/10. My question is, how much do reviews effect your purchasing decision?

I use them when judging a new ip/developer/game that I'm unsure off. I read a couple and then decide to take the plunge or not. Some games I do preorder beforehand if I believe they are good or a from good developers that interest me. Some developers on that list are Naughty Dog and Rockstar to name a few. Some games that I took the plunge before reviews were Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and The last of Us recently.

Around the Network

a lot honestly. i was interested in fuse for example, but then when it got its shit reviews i lost all interest. when a game gets a 90+ meta, im bound to check it out

bananaking21 said:
a lot honestly. i was interested in fuse for example, but then when it got its shit reviews i lost all interest. when a game gets a 90+ meta, im bound to check it out

Ya, they really help since you don't want to spend $60 on some useless game when you could've bought something else.

Not much, they don't make or break a game for me unless it's like universally bad. I'd rather watch gameplay or try a demo and come to my own conclusion.

BloodyRain said:
bananaking21 said:

Ya, they really help since you don't want to spend $60 on some useless game when you could've bought something else.

true, like a hooker for example

Around the Network

They definitely have some influence. I can't afford to buy a lot of games so I'm rather careful. If I'm interested in a game then I'll read several reviews. The scores, on the other hand, are pretty much meaningless. I don't understand why people care so much about the highly subjective number tacked on at the end when the actual words are much more informative.

Direct sequels are about the only games I'll pre-order without reading a lot of reviews. Borderlands, Fallout, Dragon Age and a few others can have my money Day One but that's about it.

Very little.
I learned my lesson when reviews steered towards games I despised, (Smash Bros, GTA, MGS4, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2) and made me avoid games that I ended up loving when I finally tried them. (Epic Mickey)
Reviews are just glorified opinions. I can form my own.

For games without a demo, about 90% of my decision is based on reviews and preview footage. In the end, games are usually low-rated for a reason.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Pretty much none, Some of my favorite games are things which reviewed quite poorly but I didn't see that until much later and didn't give a toss then what others thought about it too. Think Too Human is one of my most played 360 games and critics just hated that.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

curl-6 said:
Very little.
I learned my lesson when reviews steered towards games I despised, (Smash Bros, GTA, MGS4, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2) and made me avoid games that I ended up loving when I finally tried them. (Epic Mickey)
Reviews are just glorified opinions. I can form my own.

not just glorified opinions, but as it has been seen a few times on places like IGN they're Bought out opinions by the game makers/publishers so it's even worse than just a random persons opinion.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive