By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS4 preorders trending about 4:1 ahead of One in NA" - famousmortimer (rumour)

RolStoppable said:
DietSoap said:
RolStoppable said:
The United Kingdom is a strange place. Often mentioned separately from Europe, now they are Western Europe.

Not even trying to be snarky when I say I don't understand what you're getting at.

It is and has always been a western European country, albeit one more culturally in line with the other Anglo countries, none of which are European and two of which are North American.

Sorry, I could have been clearer. Should have said "the entirity of Western Europe".

When it comes to release dates, games are commonly said "to launch in the UK and Europe". In this thread it's said that Microsoft dominated Western Europe when they really only had a strong presence in the UK.

Oh, I see now.  Obviously anyone who says that is a bit of a nutter, even only including the west most bit of western Europe that still includes England/Scotland would still also include Spain and France, the former of which apparently being the strongest PS3 supporter in all of Europe from what I understand.

Around the Network
Gamecube said:

You're missing the point of my post.  I'm asking for supporting evidence of this 4 to 1 ratio. Even if it were just one store. I've heard X1 is ahead 5 to 1, since we don't need evidence to back our claims. I read the artical, I can't complain about that. The artical even says it's just a rumor, yet people seem to take it as gosphil.

Oh so you don't trust insiders which have continuously been proven right in the past and are letting us know Sony's internal projection? Also every single gamestop I've read about has had similar ratios. So many people call their local stores and post the numbers online. You haven't seen any of those posts?

Its not that hard to believe. Companies dont just completely abandon their whole business plan for nothing. They were definitly getting killed in preorders.

People saying ps2 was "considerably lower" first of all .6 isnt considerably lower. Secondly 4 is probably rounded. Thats just really reaching and grasping at anything. Lastly, thats launch units? Im think you are looking at final numbers and that was almost a decade ago

Max King of the Wild said:
first of all .6 isnt considerably lower

Sorry, gonna have to disagree when we're applying the ratio across millions (or likely will be in the case of the PS4 and One). Applying 4 to 1 for the NA PS2 using NA Xbox numbers would bump the PS2 up nearly 10 million, up to 63 million for NA.

tuscaniman99 said:
PS2 was 3.4:1 over Xbox. Now I know 4:1 is impossible unless Microsoft really is that far behind in production. In my inner circle it is 3:1 Xbox (3 friends preordered X1 vs 1 ps4). I know that doesn't mean anything but whatever amount of Xbox Ones MS has available for purchase they will sell. Same as Sony and PS4. I just don't see Sony producing 4 times as many PS4s as Xbox Ones in America. Maybe twice as many at most.

Again, look at your avatar.  Of course you hang with Xboners. That'd be as biased as if someone with a Mario icon was going around saying, "But more of my friends buy the WiiU and 3DS than other consoles!"  I'm sure it's true, but I know people who loved the Nokia N-Gage, and we all see how that worked out.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
DietSoap said:

Sorry, gonna have to disagree when we're applying the ratio across millions (or likely will be in the case of the PS4 and One). Applying 4 to 1 for the NA PS2 using NA Xbox numbers would bump the PS2 up nearly 10 million, up to 63 million for NA.

Thats were your wrong. No one is saying this will be applied to the entire generation. Right now its probably in t he tens of thousands. Maybe just thousands depending where the information is from. Posiibly hundreds

If the rumour is true, Sony will get a significant head start, but it should avoid at all costs to become arrogant or excessively self-confident for this, as similar ratios in North America cannot be just due to bad PR, but they must also mean that MS will be initially supply constrained, so, as soon as production will catch up, MS will set up a huge marketing campaign, most probably bigger than the $500M one it did for Kinect, and surely big enough to strongly reduce the effects of the bad PR XBOne got during the botched announcements and the 180 dance.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

DietSoap said:

Thats were your wrong. No one is saying this will be applied to the entire generation. Right now its probably in t he tens of thousands. Maybe just thousands depending where the information is from. Posiibly hundreds

Launch sales are actually far, FAR tighter than lifetime sales, making the 4:1 idea even more ridiculous, not less. PS2 to Xbox NA launch week sales were nearly the exact same.

And yes, I'm aware preorders are not a 1:1 guarantee on day one/launch sales.

Hahahahaha never.

I'd accept 1.5 : 1 and that's stretching it.

I believe I called it. People who are too young to remember or have short attention spans, Playstation DOMINATED the US for more then a decade (1995-2006). I know it's a very small sample size, but in MY personal life and working in retail for the last few years, I have seen a sea shift towards the Playstation 3. It's really weird because from 2006-2009ish, just SAYING "PS3" was difficult without it being met with disdain. Now, it seems like every where I look, kids are playing Playstation again lol.

This generation is going to be to Sony what the PS1 generation was. They're going to win the US and win by a large margin. Whether it's due to their competitors failures, their genius, or both, that's the way I see it going this gen.

Playstation is back.