By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario FPS

RolStoppable said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Hmm...I thought you would've said that about Microsoft. Sonys IP's have been quite memorable even though they are for large audiences. Sonys games fit a niche for every gen and the core know the games. You don't have to appreciate them. Every company has the flops as well as the good ones. None take more risk that Sony though, but Sony has said they will cut back on the risk and focus on making more hit games this gen.

Why would I talk about Microsoft in a comparison between Nintendo and Sony?

Time for serious questions: What do you think is Sony's motivation to make new IPs? Where is the risk in making games that are similar to what someone else is already doing?

What games that someone else is doing? Sony banked on the idea that games could be experiences and not just games. They also aligned themselves with like minds such as Naughty Dog who could create a adventurous Pixar-like title. That was their aim and their goal. They wanted to make a different type of game to what Nintendo was making and reach a broader demographic. They've even taken a lot of risk with the indy titles they've funded, including co-partnering projects such as Unfinished Swan, Flower and Journey. Shadow of the Colossus? ICO? All Sony. Legend of Dragoon? Sony first party had their hand in all of it just like Nintendo used to in the early 90's. It seems like Sony is continuing the risk to continue to search the depths for new styles and to breach new markets, but I think they will take a step back this gen and focus on profitability instead of just pumping out large amounts of games. 

We don't have to talk about MS...but their amount of successful IP's counted from two gens are just...wow.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What games that someone else is doing. Sony banked on the idea that games could be experiences and not just games. They also aligned themselves with like minds such as Naughty Dog who could create a adventurous Pixar-like title. That was their aim and their goal. They wanted to make a different type of game to what Nintendo was making and reach a broader demographic. They've even taken a lot of risk with the indy titles they've funded, including co-partnering projects such as Unfinished Swan, Flower and Journey. Shadow of the Colossus? ICO? All Sony. Legend of Dragoon? Sony first party had their hand in all of it just like Nintendo used to in the early 90's. It seems like Sony is continuing the risk to continue to search the depths for new styles and to breach new markets, but I think they will take a step back this gen and focus on profitability instead of just pumping out large amounts of games. 

We don't have to talk about MS...but their amount of successful IP's counted from two gens are just...wow.

Really? Is that really the case, S.T.A.G.E.?

Yeah they did and they deserve credit just like Nintendo do when they take risks. Its not a one way street.

zippy said:
ChrolloLucilfer said:
Funnily enough I have been thinking about how Nintendo could do Mario Fps recently. I think for it to work they need to take a similar direction that they took with Mario Kart against the more violent weapon based Racing gaming genre. Make a more children friendly FPS in terms of the level of acceptable violence. Which is actually quite simply to do, as all you need to do would be to replace the standard guns setup with the existing Mario power system. So instead of machine guns, etc you can get the Fire Flower, Ice Flower, Hammer Suit & Boomerang Flower as your projectile weapons. You could also mix it up by making jumping ever presence in the game. So you need to jump to navigate around the level and you could also defeat a competitor by jumping on their head in the old Mario Fashion as another option.

Thats exactly what i meant in my OP.. it could work. I mean who would have thought a Mario soccer game could work, or even Mario and Sonic in an olympic game. Nintendo would have enough ideas to make it innovative and fun to play, whilst the Mario brand would drive sales.

Just to add I would give it more of a third person view point instead of the full first person view. Fur Fighters is probably the closet games in terms of basic design that I would want a Mario shooter to built upon. Just more emphasis acrobatic skills of Mario and using the series wide range of power ups instead of guns would the biggest changes.