By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you still believe the 3DS will not make it to 20 million units sold this year?

Sales?

17 million 32 22.54%

18 million 21 14.79%

19 million 7 4.93%

20-22 million 31 21.83%

22 million or more 39 27.46%

Other ( post below) 11 7.75%

Total:141
tbone51 said:
PeterSilenced said:
bananaking21 said:
PeterSilenced said:
22 million + Pokemon will burn the charts .

want to make a bet on that?

Ok,be warned this is my first bet,explain the concept

bro, dont bet that high! its very unlikely it'll get 20mil! Im warning ya, BananaMan wont be easy on you!

First he will tell me the concept then i will give him a yes or a no 

Around the Network

I can't see it happening tbh. Pokemon releases too late.

If the 3DS is ever going to break 20 million in a year, it pretty much has to be this year, because after that the Pokemon/MH4 cards are basically played and they've pretty much thrown every type of Mario game at the platform they can. It's amazing the DS was crushing 30 mill/year like it was no problem.

My guess for 3DS is 18.5 million shipped for the year.

spurgeonryan said:
Soundwave said:

If the 3DS is ever going to break 20 million in a year, it pretty much has to be this year, because after that the Pokemon/MH4 cards are basically played and they've pretty much thrown every type of Mario game at the platform they can. It's amazing the DS was crushing 30 mill/year like it was no problem.

Super SMash on a handheld will be huge!

I dunno, I think the home console version will be the one that most people who can only buy one version will get.

It'll do well, but I don't think it's selling a ton of systems late in the lifecycle either because if you're a Nintendo fan, you should already have a 3DS by then.

It's got MH4, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing (NA/EU), and Zelda this fiscal year. If they can't top 20 million this year, it's never happening. It's now or never. Internally too I think the bulk of Nintendo's dev resources will shift from here on out to Wii U development, as 3DS has really monopolized a lot of their devs teams for the last few years.

spurgeonryan said:
During the DS's 2010 holiday late november to end of December it pushed out about 9.5 million from what I can see.
The 3DS does not even need that extra to get to 20 million and this is going to be a huge year. I do not know what the DS had that year, but maybe it was bigger than what the 3DS is getting?

When a system gets past its 3rd/4th year "software library" for any immediate sales quarter has less and less of an impact. The library is already mature and people are buying the system at that point because of its established reputation.

2010 the DSi XL had launched too IIRC, but the system was basically on cruise control by then, selling a lot on evergreen software like NSMB and Mario Kart DS and so on.

The impact of things like the iOS shop (Angry Birds had just launched in Dec 2009) and the iPad (not released until 2010) was still not impacting the traditional handheld market as much either.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
bananaking21 said:
20 million? this year? no way in hell

Quoting you for the record.

I never give up my sig. Have not in years. I will bet you a year of sig control that it will get with at least with in 50,000 units or pass it completely.

Nothing bannable ofcourse.

Or are you too nervous for that?

DEAL!! so if it reaches 19.95 million this year you win, any less i win

Yes, I still believe that. It is tracking behind the 3DS's numbers from last year.

PeterSilenced said:
bananaking21 said:
PeterSilenced said:
22 million + Pokemon will burn the charts .

want to make a bet on that?

Ok,be warned this is my first bet,explain the concept

lol you are a betting virgin i see?  

its a normal bet, we set the stakes, usually sig/avatar control who even wins makes the other post what he tells them to on their sig avatar

Edit : we are talking fron jan 2013- to dec 2013 right? and are we talking shipped or VGC sold?

spurgeonryan said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
I can't see it happening tbh. Pokemon releases too late.

Early October is too late?

MH4 is even earlier according to Gamefaqs and then it has the rest of the holidays to beast. Which are big already.

Yeah, as it'll only be boosting sales for 3 months during a time where sales were already gonna be boosted. Had the game released in January, 20m this year woulda been guaranteed. MH4 will be huge in Japan, but I don't believe the rest of the world is as big on the series.

Selling more than 20 million in a fiscal year is pretty hard to be honest. Even the Wii as insanely popular as it was only managed to top 20 million in shipments twice and the 3DS hasn't even hit 15 million for a year, let alone 20.