By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Zero Punctuation Thread!!

Hey All! LoadedStatement here. I have gathered a nice little set of links for all the Zero Punctuation reviews. I noticed I had not seem a bunch of them and I was subsequently missing out on some comedy gold! Anyway, if you do not know what Zero Punctuation is, watch it! It is basically a series of funny reviews of video games in video format by a fast talking British guy named Yahtzee. What are your favorite episodes? Do you dislike any? Do you disagree or agree? Comment away!

Check back every week for another review!!

Webcomics - 2 July 2008 *NEW*

Metal Gear Solid 4 - 25 June 2008

Haze - 18 June 2008

Console Rundown - 11 June 2008

Oblivion - 04 June 2008

The World Ends With You - 28 May 2008

Painkiller - 21 May 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV - 14 May 2008

Mailbag Showdown - 7 May 2008

God of War: Chains of Olympus - 30 April 2008

Super Smash Bros: Brawl - 23 April 2008

Condemned 2: Bloodshot - 16 April 2008

No More Heroes - 9 April 2008

Army of Two - 2 April 2008

Zack and Wiki - 26 March 2008

Turok - 19 March 2008

Burnout: Paradise - 12 March 2008

Devil May Cry 4 - 5 March 2008

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 27 Feb 2008

Yahtzee Goes to GDC! (Special Edition) - 20 Feb 2008

Sim City Societies - 13 Feb 2008

Call of Duty 4 - 6 Feb 2008

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - 30 Jan 2008

The Witcher - 23 Jan 2008

Crysis - 16 Jan 2008

Silent Hill Origins - 9 Jan 2008

Super Mario Galaxy - 2 Jan 2008

Mass Effect - 19 Dec 2007

Guitar Hero III - 12 Dec 2007

Assassin's Creed - 5 Dec 2007

F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate - 28 Nov 2007

Clive Barker's Jericho - 14 Nov 2007

Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 7 Nov 2007

Medal of Honor: Airborne - 31 Oct 2007

Super Paper Mario - 24 Oct 2007

The Orange Box - 17 Oct 2007

Tabula Rasa - 10 Oct 2007

Halo 3 - 3 Oct 2007

Peggle - 26 Sep 2007

Manhunt 2 - 19 Sep 2007

Tomb Raider Anniversary - 12 Sep 2007

BioShock - 5 Sep 2007

Console Rundown - 29 Aug 2007

Psychonauts - 22 Aug 2007

Heavenly Sword and Other Stuff - 15 Aug 2007

Fable - Unknown date

The Darkness (demo) - Unknown date

[mod edit - Added June 18th through July 2nd - (Sqrl)]

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

A Nice Little Q&A with Zero Punctuation's Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is the bent brain behind "Zero Punctuation," the hilariously cutting weekly videogame review program that has been the first legitimate breakout hit from the gaming community in recent memory. If you haven't seen "Zero Punctuation," well, it's best watched and not explained. (The latest episode is below.) You might want to turn down your speakers if the boss isn't a fan of wonderfully vivid vulgarity.

BBG: What's the typical creative process you follow when making these videos? Are you taking notes as you play the game or do you wait until the very end?

Yahtzee: I usually take a few days to play through the game and I'll usually finish it, or get as far as I can before I feel I can formulate an opinion. After that I'll devote a day to writing the script. I don't take notes, but I'll usually latch onto maybe 4 or 5 points and get a paragraph or two out of each. I generally compare the text to older reviews then to make sure I've written enough. Then comes making the images, which usually takes me 2 or 3 days. I used to record the speech first, but I found that I'd sometimes want to make changes to the script while making the images, especially if I wanted to reword a phrase that I found too hard to visualise. Once the images are done, recording the narration and stringing it all together in Windows Movie Maker is the easy part.

BBG: What was the inspiration behind using the animation instead of, say, your yapping head?

Yahtzee: The inspiration for the animation was me not possessing a video camera or any similar means of recording and wondering if I could make a video out of still images and narration.

BBG: How'd you end up with The Escapist? Have you been surprised by your success?

Yahtzee: I put my first two videos on Youtube and of the many offers of work that would come my way over the next few months, The Escapist were the first. They're good people and I am treated well with a big sack of money at the start of every month. The success has been pretty surprising, and I'm also doing my best to exploit it as best I can; I've gotten two free trips abroad so far and been making decent headway on my main ambition to be a professional game designer.

BBG: What's your favorite gag so far? Have you felt like you've slipped any in that people have missed?

Yahtzee: I think my favourite one is still the illustration of the developers of Heavenly Sword, 'Ninja Theory', as a ninja teaching another ninja with a blackboard and pointer. I don't know why, it just stays with me. And yes, I'm pretty sure a lot of them get missed, most people tell me they usually watch the videos over and over again to catch all the stuff they didn't see properly. One of my favourite techniques is to flash up more text than can reasonably by read in the time given. It's like a subliminal challenge or something.

BBG: Do you think it's easier to pull off all the vulgarity by not being on camera?

Yahtzee: I certainly don't feel as self-conscious as I would do if I were on camera. I have terrible presenting discipline. I never look in the right way while I'm recording, I usually stare at the ceiling and rock back and forth in my chair. If you listen very hard you can sometimes hear my chair squeaking while I talk. It probably needs some screws tightening.

BBG: What's your most beloved game?

Yahtzee: I have a well-documented love of Silent Hill 2 for its excellent atmosphere and storytelling, but as for games that balance good gameplay and story I'd say Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, and probably Portal, too. I like games that mesh gameplay and story well, not too much one way or the other.

BBG: So what's next for you?

Yahtzee: I am working on a couple of things. I'm part of an indie game dev team here in Brisbane and we've got a couple of projects going, including a rather nice corporate contract I'm not supposed to talk about but which could be the big break we need. I'm also lending assistance to a professional studio here which I probably also shouldn't be  talking about. As for personal projects, not much at present. There's a couple of ideas I have on the go, it's just a matter of seeing which one holds my attention for longest.

Source: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/01/25/a-nice-little-qa-wit.html 

Digg VGChartz!

The review for Portal at the end of the Orange Box video is great!

Now all we need are embeds of the videos themselves, for people like me whom The Escapist's site hates.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

this is a great idea LoadedStatement
I hope youre willing to update this thread every week ^^

The Witcher is still my favorite.
especially because ive actually seen the real pain killer scene

the only review i didnt find funny is COD4.
dont ask, I dont know why either...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
Now all we need are embeds of the videos themselves, for people like me whom The Escapist's site hates.
 I was halfway through with embedding them until I realized people may not like scrolling through 20+ embedded videos.  At any rate, the site should get better.  Right now the CoD4 review is the top story on Digg.  So give it until tomorrow hehe.  The videos load quickly, the sit does not. 

Digg VGChartz!

Wait... That's him? huh. For some reason I assumed he was black.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:

Based on his voice? 0_o

stof said:

he isnt black, but he is awesome and he might be a pimp... na.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I think I have only seen the Super Paper Mario, Zelda: PH, and Super Mario Galaxy ones. Pretty funny.