By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia Shield mini review: 10 reasons why Nvidia Shield is the best gaming handheld you can buy

thranx said:
Liked the video. Looks like a cool device. I dont like android as an OS though. If they made a windows 8 version, i'd be all over it(and if it had a bigger screen, 7-9 inch would be preferable. Does it do HDMI out? I didn't watch the whole video. That would be good for travel gaming as you could just hook it up to a tv in your hotel, or if your car has a tv into that. My biggest complaint about mobile gaming is the size of the screens and the controls.

Around the Network
IHateLife said:
thranx said:
Liked the video. Looks like a cool device. I dont like android as an OS though. If they made a windows 8 version, i'd be all over it(and if it had a bigger screen, 7-9 inch would be preferable. Does it do HDMI out? I didn't watch the whole video. That would be good for travel gaming as you could just hook it up to a tv in your hotel, or if your car has a tv into that. My biggest complaint about mobile gaming is the size of the screens and the controls.

I have tried apple and dont like the completly locked down system they use. I have tried android and there system is too open, and too scattered for my tastes. Windows does what I need on mobile and home devices, and is easy for me to use. It also has better integration within its device lines (cell phones, pc, xbox 360/one). Not to mention its the only one that has a usefull office apps on mobile and home devices. Their devices cover my business/work needs, multimedia needs, and gaming needs better. I also dont feel like being part of three ecosystems so no point in me splitting from windows now. So i prefer it over the other 2. I also honestly think when things are all said and done windows will be on top again in the mobile space. But maybe not. Lastly I trust MS to always be watched by all the people that hate it, so when they mis step I will know right away. Where as with apple and android many of their msideeds dont get blasted by every news outlet so you may never know what bad stuff they are up to. So I trust MS more becuase they are watched more.

When I have some extra cash to burn I will get one, just because the Wii U made me SUCH a huge fan of offscreen gameplay. I really like being able to walk around the house when I'm playing something, and I like being able to play from my bed or while laying down on my coach.

thranx said:
IHateLife said:
thranx said:

I have tried apple and dont like the completly locked down system they use. I have tried android and there system is too open, and too scattered for my tastes. Windows does what I need on mobile and home devices, and is easy for me to use. It also has better integration within its device lines (cell phones, pc, xbox 360/one). Not to mention its the only one that has a usefull office apps on mobile and home devices. Their devices cover my business/work needs, multimedia needs, and gaming needs better. I also dont feel like being part of three ecosystems so no point in me splitting from windows now. So i prefer it over the other 2. I also honestly think when things are all said and done windows will be on top again in the mobile space. But maybe not. Lastly I trust MS to always be watched by all the people that hate it, so when they mis step I will know right away. Where as with apple and android many of their msideeds dont get blasted by every news outlet so you may never know what bad stuff they are up to. So I trust MS more becuase they are watched more.

Not until they make changes to their upper management.

My problem with it is that I would need to by an Nvidia graphics card for my PC to take use the streaming feature which is the only feature I care about. Since I don't want to down grade from what I have now, I'd need a GTX670 or better. So this thing isn't 300$ for me.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
thranx said:

Yeah it has HDMI out...but you essentially don't need it as it has miracast. You can get a miracast dongle for your TV and wirelessly transmit to it.

thranx said:
IHateLife said:
thranx said:

I too would have liked to see a proper Windows 8 handheld like this insted of android however it just isn't technically possible. You just can't put a Haswell processor in to a device that small (yet) and expect cool, quiet performance, good battery life...

We could get an Windows RT handheld, however I think for gaming purposes, Android is a better choice at the moment.

To be honest, the best mobile platform for gaming on the go is iOS but apple isn't going to be making a device like this any time ever. 

disolitude said:
thranx said:

Yeah it has HDMI out...but you essentially don't need it as it has miracast. You can get a miracast dongle for your TV and wirelessly transmit to it.

thats sweet. never heard of mira cast. do they have that for other devices too? i hate all the wires going to my tv sometimes. I have really been wanting to get a gaming type tablet but haven't had the money nor found just the right one yet. thanks for posting about this

Dgc1808 said:
My problem with it is that I would need to by an Nvidia graphics card for my PC to take use the streaming feature which is the only feature I care about. Since I don't want to down grade from what I have now, I'd need a GTX670 or better. So this thing isn't 300$ for me.

This is a valid point and it definetly could end up being expensive for someone that isn't a Nvidia user. But I think that's kind of the point of this device...to make you think about buying a Nvidia GPUs when you're upgrading.

Also you could possible sell your... 7950 is it?...and get some money towards a Nvidia GPU.

thranx said:
disolitude said:
thranx said:

thats sweet. never heard of mira cast. do they have that for other devices too? i hate all the wires going to my tv sometimes. I have really been wanting to get a gaming type tablet but haven't had the money nor found just the right one yet. thanks for posting about this

Miracast is pretty much going to be a wireless standard that most devices will support. Every official Windows 8.1 device will come with it built in. It's based on Intel's WiDi technology and should start being widely implemented in to TV's this and next year. 

A lot of devices support it already but for now you have to buy a dongle for the TV to use it...

To be different and special, Google released that Chromecast dongle which does the exact same thing but is locked to google products and services and isn't compatible with miracast devices. We will see how that turns out.