By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia Shield mini review: 10 reasons why Nvidia Shield is the best gaming handheld you can buy

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:
sorry but the shield as promising as it was at E3 offers very little in terms of future proofing, let me explain, every year people like to upgrade their hardware and try to pick what offers them the best bang for their buck, currently (but only for the past 5 months) Nvidia have had faster graphics cards than their competitor AMD, at the end of september 2013 they are going to release the successor to the 7970 in the 9000 series of GPU's, would you restrict your gaming pleasure by having a slower GPU just so you could carry on playing on the shield?.

there are plenty of Android tablets that have nvidia tegra in them and no doubt the google nexus 3 will have Nvidia tegra 4 technology but a lot cheaper than the slate and you can already buy a wireless bluetooth controller called the MOGA pro which is 100% compatible with all android devices, there are also free streaming apps which can be installed on a PC to sync with an android device which pretty much does exactly what the shield does but works with both Nvidia and AMD GPU's (shield only works with GTX 600/700 series GPU's, it will not work with GTX 500/400/300/200 etc), shield is more of a novelty item rather than an all out solution, what's wrong with having a 30 foot HDMI cord linking your PC to your big screen TV and getting a wireless controller which works over 30 feet away for the source.

You bring up some good points and I am biased as it is my job to promote this product... :p 

So a few counter points... (semi-drunk and did not read your entire post [yet] .. ) :p

1. Android account saves your purchases for re-download... so it is a form of future proof... I would like to see future versions with a fully foldable screen to be used as a tablet fully and held any which way, but any future versions would be backwards compatible and able to play and re-install games you previously purchased. While the controller could possibly be improved. I think its fine as it is for adults, but could be better for kids.

2. other options currently on the market aren't nearly as good for the price at all. 300 USD is competive for a tablet device especially by NVIDIA with rugged exterior and arguably the best hardware on the market for a handheld (mobile) device. Getting a Nexus tablet with a controller, while a viable option is a bit closer to the cost than most other options... Current nexus at GS stores (NEW) is 200 USD with not nearly comprable hardware to the Shield device, but has bigger screen. Bundling the tablet with a controller in one build helps protect the tablet screen itself and make the device more durable (at least the shield is as the screen is mostly protected while closed) Lastly the shield device comes with a shield button that is your quick access button for all things shield related including installed games, and Google Play filter "Shield Store" which shows games that work natively with the Shield. 

3. More to come later... but if you are person looking for a mobile gaming product I do think that the Shield is far above the rest, because it has android OS which means you can do a lot more than gaming easily, game cost is a lot cheaper along with the capability of emulators, and because just as a tablet device it the cream of the crop on the market right now.

(too tired to post more)

I think this device is great for kids, and secondly for more mature gamers via pc streaming. Casual mobile gamers would enjoy this device as well. Lastly, mobile gaming is the future... I don't think consoles or desktop PC gaming will ever dissapear for top end gaming, but the gamers of the future will put more money into mobile games and devices..

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Around the Network
disolitude said:
spemanig said:
The thing's gonna bomb. The Vita tried to be a "hardcore" handheld. Look how that turned out. Nvidia having more selling power than Sony or Nintendo just because it's more powerful and is an open system? Power has anything to do with sales? Lol, that's like saying PC will dominate the industry because- Oh, wait. Nvm.

Your post is so out of touch its commical.

It will bomb how exactly? This isn't some market changing, ground breaking device that needs to move 30 million units to break even... its a cool little portable gaming system that does a few neat tricks never done before. Nvidia is making most of the hardware and are selling it for $299 hence I am sure they are profiting on every device sold.

By making this device they get to sell their Tegra 4 chips at retail themselves, they sell more graphics cards to people who may be interested in this, plus they offer a cool product. They can probably sell a couple of million units lifetime and make a profit plus push their other products or services.

So what is your problem? How is this going to bomb? It plays Android and PC games, 2 of the largest and most supported platforms on the market. It will have game support for the next decade.

Lol, it's selling to a very small niche market and costs as much as the Vita, yet is stronger than the Vita, which is selling at a loss. Of course this is selling at a loss too. An even BIGGER loss. And Nvidia doesn't have nearly the selling power that the Sony brand has, yet that is failing. Is that a joke, lol? God. I hope you're joking. Delusional.

spemanig said:
disolitude said:
spemanig said:
The thing's gonna bomb. The Vita tried to be a "hardcore" handheld. Look how that turned out. Nvidia having more selling power than Sony or Nintendo just because it's more powerful and is an open system? Power has anything to do with sales? Lol, that's like saying PC will dominate the industry because- Oh, wait. Nvm.

Your post is so out of touch its commical.

It will bomb how exactly? This isn't some market changing, ground breaking device that needs to move 30 million units to break even... its a cool little portable gaming system that does a few neat tricks never done before. Nvidia is making most of the hardware and are selling it for $299 hence I am sure they are profiting on every device sold.

By making this device they get to sell their Tegra 4 chips at retail themselves, they sell more graphics cards to people who may be interested in this, plus they offer a cool product. They can probably sell a couple of million units lifetime and make a profit plus push their other products or services.

So what is your problem? How is this going to bomb? It plays Android and PC games, 2 of the largest and most supported platforms on the market. It will have game support for the next decade.

Lol, it's selling to a very small niche market and costs as much as the Vita, yet is stronger than the Vita, which is selling at a loss. Of course this is selling at a loss too. An even BIGGER loss. And Nvidia doesn't have nearly the selling power that the Sony brand has, yet that is failing. Is that a joke, lol? God. I hope you're joking. Delusional.

I'm pretty sure that you pulled the whole Sony losing money on PSVita out of your ass...as companies can build a phone with much better specs tahn PSVita for under 200 bucks and pull a profit.

But lets say that is treu...even so the final joke is on you because Sony may be able to sell PSVita at a loss since they make money from software and licenses. Its a sound business model.

Nvidia on the other hand don't make software and games, nor do they have a licensing fee to collect royalties from games sold since its an open source device... so if they are selling Nvidia Shield hardware at a loss, they are completely retarded and like to just throw money away.

I suggest you check out Nvidia's financials for the last few years. Their business model doesn't include selling shit at a loss, ever.