By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia Shield mini review: 10 reasons why Nvidia Shield is the best gaming handheld you can buy

soulfly666 said:

Wait, so can you play the PC games outside of your house, or does it only stream them over your wifi in your house? If you can play the PC games in a hotel room on the device installed, without having anything else, that is really cool.  Or do you have to have WIFI and a computer with you?  If that is the case why wouldn't you just play the games on the computer?

You can't play "your" PC games outside your house on the Shield. You can play PC games on the road using WiFi with OnLive or Gaikai when it finally launches... Nvidia is talking about having a feature in the future where their "Nvidia Grid" cloud service will process the games and let you play them anywhere there is wifi. But so far, no go...

BTW all those games I listed are Android native games. It has a full version of Max payne, GTAIII and Vice City, Conduit HD, Minecraft...and many more portable console worthy games.

As far as why you wouldn't play games on your computer when in your house...because computers are usually on desks with chairs, they are not on the couch, in the bedroom, in the garage...etc. Someone like me that sits at a computer desk 8 hours a day for work finds the idea of playing a PC game anywhere but a computer desk once I get home quite appealing. 

Around the Network
Scisca said:
I kinda think I'm gonna stick to my 300, add another 100 to it and just get a PS4... Seems more sensible. I'd even rather get a Wii U for that money. When it comes to handhelds, it's not even close to Vita, let alone 3DS. The price will look even more ridiculous when Vita gets a price cut (next week?).

Yeah ok... It has a better controller layout, better screen, more comfortable grip, better speakers and makes Vita its bitch in terms of processing specs. It also drops stupid gimmicks like back touch pannel and offers emulator, OnLive PC and Android gaming on the go...and true PC gaming from home.

That's so not close to Vita and being spoon fed by Sony with select few titles each month. 

I am not telling people to skip on Vita or 3DS. Get all consoles...its good for the economy. But all I know is that within 2 hours of owning the Shield, I had PC game streaming set up, many free or dirt cheap android games set up that are on par with 3DS and PS Vita games and a single emulator installed that plays PS1, n64, snes, nes, genesis, neo geo, all classic arcade games and many more... You wanna talk about value for your dollar?

Quoting doesn't work for me :/

disolitude wrote:

Yeah ok... It has a better controller layout, better screen, more comfortable grip, better speakers and makes Vita its bitch in terms of processing specs. It also drops stupid gimmicks like back touch pannel and offers emulator, OnLive PC and Android gaming on the go...and true PC gaming from home.

That's so not close to Vita and being spoon fed by Sony with select few titles each month.

I am not telling people to skip on Vita or 3DS. Get all consoles...its good for the economy. But all I know is that within 2 hours of owning the Shield, I had PC game streaming set up, many free or dirt cheap android games set up that are on par with 3DS and PS Vita games and a single emulator installed that plays PS1, n64, snes, nes, genesis, neo geo, all classic arcade games and many more... You wanna talk about value for your dollar?

I write:

The specs really don't matter. Vita is so much more powerful than 3DS and which one dominates? I couldn't care less about OnLive (does it even exist in Europe?) and Android games, really. Can't even remember the last time I've thought about playing an Android game. If they are so awesome, then why is Ouya such a bust? Streaming PC games vs. Streaming PS4 games? I haven't got a gaming PC and won't have one, but I will have a PS4, so it's an easy win for Vita in my case. And, you know, it has those exclusive games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Killzone, etc. that are actually worth playing. The only advantage would be the emulator, but if I wanted a portable emulator I'd just get a PSP for next to nothing.

The thing that makes Shield ridiculous is the price. If Sony cuts the price of Vita soon, you will probably be able to get a Vita and a 3DS for the price of Shield if you search around a bit. So yeah, the value of Shield really isn't that high and it doesn't come close to what you can get from competition.

It's actually a mobile Ouya for a ridiculous price. And it will fail just like Ouya did.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

disolitude said:
soulfly666 said:

Wait, so can you play the PC games outside of your house, or does it only stream them over your wifi in your house? If you can play the PC games in a hotel room on the device installed, without having anything else, that is really cool.  Or do you have to have WIFI and a computer with you?  If that is the case why wouldn't you just play the games on the computer?

You can't play "your" PC games outside your house on the Shield. You can play PC games on the road using WiFi with OnLive or Gaikai when it finally launches... Nvidia is talking about having a feature in the future where their "Nvidia Grid" cloud service will process the games and let you play them anywhere there is wifi. But so far, no go...

BTW all those games I listed are Android native games. It has a full version of Max payne, GTAIII and Vice City, Conduit HD, Minecraft...and many more portable console worthy games.

As far as why you wouldn't play games on your computer when in your house...because computers are usually on desks with chairs, they are not on the couch, in the bedroom, in the garage...etc. Someone like me that sits at a computer desk 8 hours a day for work finds the idea of playing a PC game anywhere but a computer desk once I get home quite appealing. 

Ok sounds cool, I get what you are saying about after work also.  That's one of the major reasons I don't PC game all that much anymore.  If you could stream PC games on travel with no other things with you that would be the s***!

Scisca said:
Quoting doesn't work for me :/

disolitude wrote:

Yeah ok... It has a better controller layout, better screen, more comfortable grip, better speakers and makes Vita its bitch in terms of processing specs. It also drops stupid gimmicks like back touch pannel and offers emulator, OnLive PC and Android gaming on the go...and true PC gaming from home.

I am not telling people to skip on Vita or 3DS. Get all consoles...its good for the economy. But all I know is that within 2 hours of owning the Shield, I had PC game streaming set up, many free or dirt cheap android games set up that are on par with 3DS and PS Vita games and a single emulator installed that plays PS1, n64, snes, nes, genesis, neo geo, all classic arcade games and many more... You wanna talk about value for your dollar?

I write:

The specs really don't matter. Vita is so much more powerful than 3DS and which one dominates? I couldn't care less about OnLive (does it even exist in Europe?) and Android games, really. Can't even remember the last time I've thought about playing an Android game. If they are so awesome, then why is Ouya such a bust? Streaming PC games vs. Streaming PS4 games? I haven't got a gaming PC and won't have one, but I will have a PS4, so it's an easy win for Vita in my case. And, you know, it has those exclusive games like Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Killzone, etc. that are actually worth playing. The only advantage would be the emulator, but if I wanted a portable emulator I'd just get a PSP for next to nothing.

The thing that makes Shield ridiculous is the price. If Sony cuts the price of Vita soon, you will probably be able to get a Vita and a 3DS for the price of Shield if you search around a bit. So yeah, the value of Shield really isn't that high and it doesn't come close to what you can get from competition.

It's actually a mobile Ouya for a ridiculous price. And it will fail just like Ouya did.

Let's recap, your arguments here are:

- I don't care about Onlive

- I don't think about Android gaming so it must not be good

- Emulators are cool but I can do them for cheap by hacking a different portable console

- Price price price!

- This will fail FUD

Nothing about other features that come with Nvidia Shield, like a full blown file system/OS, wireless streaming to TV and access 800,000 apps 

Nothing about the sublime screen, controller, speakers and hardware.

Nothing about local PC streaming.

Lots of cherrypicking but that is fine.  
The hillarous part is the "this will fail" FUD. How is it going to fail? It has Android and amazing specs. Nvidia doesn't have to support this device with games, only with features. Do you actually think Android and iOS are going to fail as a gaming platform and won't be a viable gaming alternative to home consoles in 3-4 years time? Wake up and smell the roses... Android already offers compelling games for home or on the go, some of which are listed above and its only going to grow 10 fold. 
Here are the latest smartphone worldwide sales trends btw:

Around the Network

Why should I care about OnLive? It's not offered in Europe except for Belgium. All the other features you talk about don't really matter - not a single one is a selling point. 3DS' hardware, screens and speakers are crap in comparison to Vita and yet we all know which console is doing what. I refered to local PC streaming, maybe you should read my post again. Also don't forget that PC streaming is actually less important than PS4 streaming, because PC usually has its own monitor, while a console is usually connected to the TV in the living room, which can sometimes be occupied by other people. This means that remote play is more important for a console gamer than for a PC gamer.
Also - I'm not saying it's a bad device. All I'm saying is that it will fail, because its price is ridiculous and there is no market for such a device. People who buy it will probably be happy with it, but not many people will care about it. It's a mobile Ouya and nobody cares about Ouya.

The hilarious thing is you believing that putting Android on a device magically makes it successful out of the box no matter what. Are you really trying to convince me that Shield will succeed just because Android is a success? So every single Android device has to be a hit and sell well? You should wake up and realise that it won't be a success just because it has Android on it. Who cares how successful Android devices are? Again - heard of the Ouya? It also has Android, had so much hype around it, but isn't even near to being successful and never will be.

Smartphones sell and will sell even more, but what does it mean for Shield? Nothing, cause it's not a smartphone. On the other hand the market for handhelds is shrinking and this actually matters for Shield. The market is shrinking, it will soon probably be too small for both Nintendo and Sony, let alone nVidia. How many people will be willing to pay $300 for a handheld that plays the games their smartphone already plays and pretty much nothing more (nothing - no new games that they can't play on a device they already own)? And how many will actually decide to buy a 3DS/Vita which are much cheaper and allow you to play different new games?

The odds are highly against Shield, but we'll see how it does. I will be really shocked if it even comes close to Vita, especially since it's targeted on Western gamers, who aren't that much into handhelds anyway.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Why should I care about OnLive? It's not offered in Europe except for Belgium. All the other features you talk about don't really matter - not a single one is a selling point. 3DS' hardware, screens and speakers are crap in comparison to Vita and yet we all know which console is doing what. I refered to local PC streaming, maybe you should read my post again. Also don't forget that PC streaming is actually less important than PS4 streaming, because PC usually has its own monitor, while a console is usually connected to the TV in the living room, which can sometimes be occupied by other people. This means that remote play is more important for a console gamer than for a PC gamer.
Also - I'm not saying it's a bad device. All I'm saying is that it will fail, because its price is ridiculous and there is no market for such a device. People who buy it will probably be happy with it, but not many people will care about it. It's a mobile Ouya and nobody cares about Ouya.

The hilarious thing is you believing that putting Android on a device magically makes it successful out of the box no matter what. Are you really trying to convince me that Shield will succeed just because Android is a success? So every single Android device has to be a hit and sell well? You should wake up and realise that it won't be a success just because it has Android on it. Who cares how successful Android devices are? Again - heard of the Ouya? It also has Android, had so much hype around it, but isn't even near to being successful and never will be.

Smartphones sell and will sell even more, but what does it mean for Shield? Nothing, cause it's not a smartphone. On the other hand the market for handhelds is shrinking and this actually matters for Shield. The market is shrinking, it will soon probably be too small for both Nintendo and Sony, let alone nVidia. How many people will be willing to pay $300 for a handheld that plays the games their smartphone already plays and pretty much nothing more (nothing - no new games that they can't play on a device they already own)? And how many will actually decide to buy a 3DS/Vita which are much cheaper and allow you to play different new games?

The odds are highly against Shield, but we'll see how it does. I will be really shocked if it even comes close to Vita, especially since it's targeted on Western gamers, who aren't that much into handhelds anyway.

Nvidia doesn't have to sell even 100 units to make it a great portable for gamers. Like I said, they don't have to support it with software. Due to marketshare and adoption, android platform will be getting quality games, even more than it currently does. There are iOS "console like" games like Xcom, Deus Ex, Limbo...that will be on Android as well with plenty more to come. This is a given... And since Android has a controller API that 100s of games already utilize, Nvidia game support will be booming even if it doesn't sell much.

I don't know what you have against Android gaming but so far I got Max Payne and Conduit HD for the Shield and both are pretty balln. As is Sonic Episode 2 which came with the device and is in 720p HD (on Nvidia Shield exclusively) and looks as good as it does on X360/PS3. And you can buy all 3 games for less than 9 bucks. I don't think 3DS or PSVita can play any of these games.

I'm not much of a graphics fanatic but Riptide 2, Shadowgun, Dead Trigger all have PS Vita/early x360 like graphics...And these games aren't anywhere close to pushing the capabilities of Nvidia Shield. 

As far as Nvidia is concerned, they really can't lose with this device. Let's say this thing bombs and sells 100K units(like my discussion with Selnor)...which is extremely unlikely considering their niche 3D vision product sold over 1 million units at 200 bucks a pop + cost of 3D monitor. 

This is 100K Nvidia Tegra 4 chips they sold and at $299 they are bound to make a profit on each device.

Out of those 100K sales, lets say 10-20,000 people buy the new Geforce cards to make this work who wouldn't have done this otherwise. Another win.

Finally, android game devs will see that there are 100K gaming handheld + many more tablets and smartphones running Nvidia tegra 4 and optimize games for that platform. 

Nvidia Shield is a play that is meant to fight a war with Qualcom and Samsung and their Android ARM SoC chipsets much more than a battle with PS Vita and 3DS for gaming handhelds. 

disolitude said:
Cheebee said:
This will die a quiet, lonely death.

No it wont. It uses Android silly and plays PC games... You know, the 2 largest supported platforms on the planet.

So? Doesn't mean people will buy it. I'm pretty sure PC gamers would rather play their games on their actual PCs, and there are many, many, many, many, many other and cheaper Android devices. We'll see though, but I predict utter failure.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
disolitude said:
Cheebee said:
This will die a quiet, lonely death.

No it wont. It uses Android silly and plays PC games... You know, the 2 largest supported platforms on the planet.

So? Doesn't mean people will buy it. I'm pretty sure PC gamers would rather play their games on their actual PCs, and there are many, many, many, many, many other and cheaper Android devices. We'll see though, but I predict utter failure.

I repeat again, this doesn't need to sell 10 units to be a great handheld and to have an amazing gaming library... This plays Android games. Android is activating 1 milliond devices per day, has a controller API...3 years from now PSVita and 3DS will probably be on the end of their life but this will still play new Android games and PC games locally, even if Nvidia stpos making them. 

Like I don't get your "failure" point at all. Are you an Nvidia stock holder?  Is this one of those "People didn't buy it so it sucks" arguments? People don't buy BMW's as much as they buy Hondas, I guess Honda is better car?

I think it's great that you're loving the Shiled so much, but it's kinda ridiculous seeing you trying to convince EVERYONE that it's the best handheld ever, and firmly believing it will sell well just because it has Android and streams PC, "two of the most supported platforms on the market". It doesn't work like this man.

You talk about "I have great Android games and emulators on the Shield", when I can get the same exact things if I buy a good smartphone and a PSP. Sure, the smartphone won't have buttons, but from my experience, adding buttons to Android games is not worth $300. The only thing it has going for it is PC streaming. And you'll only be able to use that if you have a gaming PC.