By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gotta love the revisionist history BS about the Wii

Tagged games:

"Nintendo systems have always been declining, since the start!"

"Wii is their best selling system."

"B-b-b-but the Wii doesn't count! It was a fluke! It never happened! It doesn't count because *insert ridiculous arbitrary reason here*!"

Can't count the number of times I've come across these excuses to try to discount the Wii and rewrite history as if it didn't exist. The revisionist historians  are hard at work trying to have it disqualified so they can maintain their fantasy narrative about "Nintendo consoles have declined since the NES."

Around the Network

Some people just want to see Nintendo burn!

Nintendo and PC gamer

They don't want to remember the Wii U guess. The truth is, the declining statement is now incorrect due to the Wii.

In sales one could argue that nintendo home consoles "declined" after the NES.

But it also can't be argued that the Wii was a success

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

pezus said:
Wii is the exception that proves the rule

And the DS is the other exception that proves the rule.

The more exceptions the rule has, the more sure you can be that it's a rule!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Before the Wii, claiming their home consoles were on the decline was a legitimate statment :P NES (64 million) > SNES (49 million) > N64 (33 million) > Game Cube (22 million).

If the WiiU's sales don't pick up, and considering the Wii's popularity was "short lives", calling it a fluke would be a justifiable statement. I don't agree with it, but you'd certainly be hard pressed to argue the logic.

The Wii was just like the iPhone.

It dominated hardware wise, but is being crushed by android by the day. It's a single platform (iOS) against an horde of countless others (android). It was the same motion control and less power vs standard old school experience with better power. Guess which camp has more supporters.

its just a matter of mass market appeal...i as a gamer only care for good games so i will buy Nintendo always...those figures only show that real gamers are 22m or less

FrancisNobleman said:
The Wii was just like the iPhone.

It dominated hardware wise, but is being crushed by android by the day. It's a single platform (iOS) against an horde of countless others (android). It was the same motion control and less power vs standard old school experience with better power. Guess which camp has more supporters.

That's a very odd comparison, since iPhone has never had dominant marketshare except in very localized markets and generally has had the best GPU in its device class.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

In the end, profit is what matters. And the GBA+GC made more money than the PS2 did, so Nintendo's fine. Sony's the one who you could argue is declining, IIRC Sony's gaming division hasn't posted a profit since the PS2 days