By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gotta love the revisionist history BS about the Wii

Tagged games:

I have no desire to discount the Wii but it probably will go down as an aberration, both for Nintendo home consoles and home consoles in general. If the Wii U ends up selling much less, which looks likely, then I think that will confirm that hypothesis. I know people want to get riled up about that but the simple fact is that the competition is now more fierce and dangerous than at any other time during the modern era of gaming. No one is backing down at all so it's a three-way pie.

The other part of the Wii spike, in my opinion, has to do with something I've been saying since before the Wii U released, which is that we would not see back-to-back consoles go viral with casual gamers. I really believe that, which is why I absolutely agree with Nintendo not counting on that segment this time around. Many, perhaps even most, of the true casuals are content with owning a Wii and are far less likely to invest in a new console when "next gen" hits.

For that reason, yeah, I think the Wii will go down as an anomaly and that the Nintendo average going forward will be closer to the GameCube than the Wii. And, no, that's not an insult, as I think that will be a perfectly respectable place to be given Nintendo's normally shorter console life-cycles.

Around the Network

Some just simply wants to dismiss it. Casual, for babies, shovelware, etc. They need and excuse to feel better, but honestly I don't understand in the first place what make them feel sick.

In the end, Wii was the best selling homeconsole the last generation and no matter how hard or loud they try to find excuses to not recognize it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

MohammadBadir said:
In the end, profit is what matters. And the GBA+GC made more money than the PS2 did, so Nintendo's fine. Sony's the one who you could argue is declining, IIRC Sony's gaming division hasn't posted a profit since the PS2 days

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5530534

While they certainly aren't the even close to in the black for the PS3 era you are not recalling correctly when you say they haven't posted a profit since the PS2.  

^You are out of your mind to think WiiU will sell closer to gamecube than Wii. I find it hilarious that you guys really believe this. Gamecube was 199.99 when it launched, up against a juggernaut, and didn't have 2D Mario or Wii series games lol. WiiU will not sell as much as Wii but neither will One or PS4 lol. Japan is needed more than you'd guys think to reach that 100 million. Japans days of buying alot of home consoles are over.

Above post not at you Torillian but for Pokoko.

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
In the end, profit is what matters. And the GBA+GC made more money than the PS2 did, so Nintendo's fine. Sony's the one who you could argue is declining, IIRC Sony's gaming division hasn't posted a profit since the PS2 days

Umm why bring Sony into a topic about Nintendo and the statement of GBA/GBC made more cash then PS2 is a random insert pulled out of nowhere from you as well. Your post seems to be here just to start trouble IMO....

Anyways on topic the Nintendo TV consoles have been in a decline since the NES days which is weird to look at when they they have done so much right by some of them. SNES was better then the NES in everyway and sold less,the Gamecube tried its best to do everything right that the N64 did wrong yet still sold less. Its a very odd cycle if you look at each console and it could very well be argued that the Wii just capitalised off casuals with its motion controls which is considered right place at the right time by most people because in terms of gaming the Wii is near the bottom of the list of the best Nintendo consoles yet is there highest selling? I guess we will have to wait to see how the Wii U does, a healthy 60+ million would be wonderful thing for the console

The Wii was a massive success, and it wasn't "short-lived" either as it's life span was very similar to the similar selling PS1. It's only short lived compared to the over-engineered and abnormally long-lived PS360.

I wouldn't say that Nintendo systems have been in decline since the NES with the exception of Wii; I would say each system has been a unique situation with varying outside factors. Nintendo products have been loved by many throughout the years, as systems like Gameboy and DS show. Declining market share for several systems is each for a different reason: SNES (launched very late after Sega) N64 (no Disc drive, again launched late), Gamecube ( a total disaster in concept). Wii, for the first time ever, launched the same time as Sony's product and was a mature looking system without an obvious flaw, and the market responded accordingly.

The jury's out with Wii U, but I see its situation to be nothing like the challenges that faced N64 or Gamecube. it may struggle if 3rd party support is weak, but it may have great success even in spite of that if the 1st party software is strong because of it having launched first and with the lowest price.

well lets not forget headhelds, thats where alot of the money is for Nintendo.

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Torillian said:
MohammadBadir said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5530534

While they certainly aren't the even close to in the black for the PS3 era you are not recalling correctly when you say they haven't posted a profit since the PS2.  

Yeah sorry, I meant that they lost more money than they gained, hence the "-3.75"

painmaster212 said:
MohammadBadir said:

Umm why bring Sony into a topic about Nintendo and the statement of GBA/GBC made more cash then PS2 is a random insert pulled out of nowhere from you as well. Your post seems to be here just to start trouble IMO....

Sorry, I just wanted to put things in perspective...