By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

Metallicube said:
Lucas man, I admire your passion, and your optimism, but come on.. All you're really achieving at this point is making us Nintendo fans look bad :P

I've accepted that the Wii U will remain a niche console. Hell I embrace it. It will just never hit the big time like the Wii, and for the most part I blame Nintendo's own incompetence for this, so I can't really feel TOO bad for them. The way I see it, it only benefits me MORE that they fail anyways. Cheaper console/games, more incentive to change for the better, etc.

I find that the masses tend to have shitty taste anyway, in nearly ALL facets of life. Shit, just look at the chart toppers in music, TV, and movies these days..

Even with the Wii, I tended to enjoy a lot of the more niche stuff on the console that didn't do so well in sales. I take pride in using something that few others use, it's like a prestigious thing. I did it during the N64 and Gamecube days and I'm more than prepared to do it again. I think I thrive in the underdog roll. I embrace it.

Though I will say, it is a breath of fresh air to see some positivity amidst all the Nintendo is doomed bs, especially from someone with some very intelligent arguments.

Exactly, i think people just need to get over it, let Nintendo do what they have to do and just enjoy all these great games that are coming on 2014, not to mention all these great games that we already have.

In the end its all about havin fun no matter what console OR game you are playing.

Around the Network

Mostly I look forward to John Lucas' reaction to Malmström's negative view of the Nintendo Wii U.

nin10do suddenly made an appearance after I noted his absence. Convenient!

WiiU adjusted down, surely it'll crack 250k this year at some point???!

man i haven't visited this thread in a while.
the last hundred pages are filled with Seece and Mummelman beating a dead horse. it's obvious that that 12 million consoles sold thing was something that even a miracle couldn't achieve :P

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
the last hundred pages are filled with Seece and Mummelman beating a dead horse. it's obvious that that 12 million consoles sold thing was something that even a miracle couldn't achieve :P

Whilst JL admits it might do 10m, he still sneakily admitted he still thinks 12m is possible :P

XB1 and PS4 2m+ in under 3 weeks, not really playing into his hands is it.

Seece said:
MohammadBadir said:

Whilst JL admits it might do 10m, he still sneakily admitted he still thinks 12m is possible :P

XB1 and PS4 2m+ in under 3 weeks, not really playing into his hands is it.

If VGChartz or Pachters numbers for black friday is correct it wont even reach what i thought would be a plausible forecasts of 7 mill selltrough by dec 31.

Back in august when i made the prediction i couldn't even imagine WiiU would fail reaching that number looking at historical holiday trends for Nintendo hardware. When Nintendo seriously ramped up advertising (hell, even the latest Elkjøp (Norways largest electronics chain by far) catalogue had tons of Nintendo stuff in it, meaning Nintendo used "commerce" initiatives to have significant space there combined with premium retail space) gave me some hope. 

Note: Nintendo almost never advertises in Norway, which meant the ads would be everywhere in more populated countries thus making the 7 million mark resonable. 

It is possible JL knew of Nintendo's usual "commerce" initiatives in combination with traditional system selling games, bundles, and traditional holiday TV advertising would take full effect by the week of black friday. He probably thought that people only had to know that a brand new Nintendo system would be available for purchase for the holiday season (the family market used to be huge).

In the case of XBO and PS4, he prolly banked on how hardware launches usually pan out ie; maybe a couple of million available for purchase over the holidays for each hardware maker at the very best scenario. However, this clearly is not the case this time. The asking price of these consoles and the weak exclusives could most likely cause the sales of these consoles to be mediocre in combination with percieved economical realities. Clearly, people will buy something if they really want something, and to hell with the bad economy.

Edit: Of cource you also have the Nintendo fans who bought the 3DS. Surely they would buy the WiiU next? Wrong! They instead bought an additional 3DS (be it limited edition, alternate colour 3DS, 2DS, 3DS XL etc.)

For Nintendo to reach JL's prediction, they needed to entice 2 specific markets in a big way; the family market and the Nintendo fans. Seems like they failed to the degree they needed to.

@mumnelman

You remind me of Vegeta trainning so hard on that fake gravity machine, but in the end, he couldn't just simply beat goku whenever he would decide to show up.

That's how I see this topic lol

177k this week 0_o

1.375m a week for it to reach 10m and 1.875m to reach your original 12m prediction (which you said still might make it a week or so ago).

Looking further ahead, JL expects a weekly average of 550k+ a week next year.

Seece said:

177k this week 0_o

1.375m a week for it to reach 10m and 1.875m to reach your original 12m prediction (which you said still might make it a week or so ago)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5845237

5.5 million very, very likely at year's end and about 3 million or less for the entire calendar year, especially if you factor in adjustments with confirmed reports of overtracking of several consoles in Europe and UK (Wii U being among them) and more possible adjustments for NPD.

Nudging 200k for this week and then possibly into the 220k region the week after, followed by a 240k week, again following a very natural pattern for the holidays and then topped by a typical week that moves about the same amount as the week after BF to end the year = perhaps about 840k more global sales for remaining December weeks, less when you consider the last "week" going far into January (new year's even on a tuesday this year) and below 5.5 million lifetime. With (again, completely normal) post-holiday adjustments, we could be looking at closer to 5 million than 5.5 in a worst case scenario. The PS3 and 360 have been rather massively adjusted in Europe lately and the Wii U might have 100k or more shaved off in that region alone when all is said and done (UK being overtracked by about 40-50k would indicate as much, could be even more).

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5855846 Some stuff

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5768057 Ooh snap, especially "Tough one, I'm thinking it should average at least 180-220k for the last six weeks of the year and sell decently in the weeks before, so somewhere in the region of 6 million or there abouts." Quite a good prediction if I might say so myself, the year end total being too high is mostly due to a massively disappointing November.

Even my (to some) shockingly conservative year end lifetime sales will likely be off by a margin of 10-20%, that's quite something.

Of course, none of this matters. The revolution is coming, just you wait. And it's not like actual sales have anything to do with domination either, it could be a spiritual metaphor? I know there's one guy who's being chanting about Ms and Sony being evil companies, likely explanation right there.

You better hurry John Lucas, one more week of numbers to make my post make more and more sense and one more to label your far-fetched speculation as utter hogwash. I'm sure there's a way to twist this though, maybe we should blame it on the retailers (because the reason why you're wrong is always somehow more valid than anything we can say, and more valid for sure than the actual sales directly contradicting your every word, then again; with rationalization (like with the ridiculous attempt a couple of pages back), you could keep your perfect streak and never be wrong!) or maybe we should just look to the future, like we're always told.