By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Examiner Hands-on: PS4's 'Killzone: Shadow Fall' excites with new gameplay possibilties

Tagged games:

walsufnir said:
VXIII said:

I especially think that story-telling in first-person-view can be way more intense and is just way more realistic than seeing the person you control.

Well,  Just like in real life, movement and expressions tell so much about the character. Good animations in video games will always be an important way to get more sence of the characters and story. First person view does not have any of that as it supposed to simulate "you" inside the game not the character, which is in my opinion..  a weak attempt at best.

Yes, that's why I sad "can be". Both ways have advantages and disadvantages. It would be nice if more fp-games would make you get more intense feelings. Why should I look at a character and his emotions if that could be mine? Surely it depends on which game you try to transport this and fp is definitely not the best way of presentation in any way but I think there is still a lot of potential in it besides of shooters (and even there is still potential).

Personally I love first person view scenes in any games, one example is God Of War III,  at the very end, the game switches to fp view so you'd finish off Zeus, it was perfect ..just perfect. I understand your point, but to tell a whole story without a real presence of the character is bad for the story.

let's be honest here, the vast majority of fp games is all about gameplay and don't even try to tell a good story :)

Around the Network
teigaga said:
riderz13371 said:
teigaga said:

Not but the gameplay should look exciting.

Something needs to grab you whether it be setpieces, weapons, freedom/scale. But you are probably right to an extent, established FPS fans (especially KZ fans) will lap it up no problems but for guys who are a tad on the fence, I think we're left wanting.

Actually I'm glad you mentioned freedom/scale. In this Killzone there is much more freedom in the way you complete missions. You are essentially dropped off in an area and there are several missions you can go do in that area. The order you do the missions in is all up to you. For instance in that forest level we saw, I remember a developer saying you could first take out the alarm system and then go deal with the other missions after. This would make sure no enemy reinforcements came if you were caught, because you would have taken out the alarm and the Helghast would have no way to call in reinforcements. Or if you wanted to not do that mission first, you would get caught and you could hear the alarm go off which then brings in a lot more enemies.

Also the OWL gives you a lot more freedom as well. As I said to you before, you can use it to get into basically any location using the rope gliding perk that it has.

Yeah, the gameplay video I watched was not narrated, so it look like he was just following linear objectives. But the area was much more open.

Hopefully at gamescon they'll show a new weapon in use and more then one enemy type/enemy tactic because the AI looks a bit basic. But I wasn't sugesting the game looks bad by any extent, just that nothings grabbing me at the moment. In my other comment, by character I meant they haven't shown anything which makes me think the story or world will have any heart. It seems like its just a set of objectives. But now I think back to it the febrauary demo teased quite an interesting story, but that was 6months ago and its been pushed to the back of my mind.

I think they are showing multi player at Gamescom so we should be seeing some primary and secondary weapons. Yeah the AI looks basic but that's because they are playing on easy mode with infinite health on your character. It's just for demonstration purposes, you don't know to risk dying during live presentation lol

VXIII said:
walsufnir said:
VXIII said:

I especially think that story-telling in first-person-view can be way more intense and is just way more realistic than seeing the person you control.

Well,  Just like in real life, movement and expressions tell so much about the character. Good animations in video games will always be an important way to get more sence of the characters and story. First person view does not have any of that as it supposed to simulate "you" inside the game not the character, which is in my opinion..  a weak attempt at best.

Yes, that's why I sad "can be". Both ways have advantages and disadvantages. It would be nice if more fp-games would make you get more intense feelings. Why should I look at a character and his emotions if that could be mine? Surely it depends on which game you try to transport this and fp is definitely not the best way of presentation in any way but I think there is still a lot of potential in it besides of shooters (and even there is still potential).

Personally I love first person view scenes in any games, one example is God Of War III,  at the very end, the game switches to fp view so you'd finsh of Zeus, it was perfect ..just perfect. I understand your point, but to tell a whole story without a real presence of the character is bad for the story.

let's be honest here, the vast majority of fp games is all about gameplay and don't even try to tell a good stroy :)

I've recently been enjoying third person shooters more than FPS games. I don't know why but I think just seeing your character move, take behind cover or even being shot at makes you feel more connected to him/her. Seeing them get hurt and seeing them react to being shot at has a much more emotional effect than just seeing red blood on your screen in an FPS game. I also love some of the character animations that you get to see in third person in games such as the Last of Us. 

teigaga said:
FATALITY said:
teigaga said:

The more I see of this game, the more it looks current gen and least I'm interested. Hopefully they can renew my excitement at gamescon.

The owl looks cool but thats not really enough.

lol.

if killzone looks current gen

DR3, titanfall and KI are all PS2 games

This looks pretty but I would mistake for a PC game from 2011. Have the graphics taken a hit since feb or is the engine just not well equipped to deal with organic landscapes?

So far Ryse and Forza are the only games which look like they actually belong on a next gen console. Obviously these are all launch games so I probably shouln't be so hard on KZ

LOL.

they dont. 

not even close.

one is a boringlinear/ QTE/gray gameplay with a few npcs

and the other doesn't have weather effects or dynamic lighting.

which pc game from 2011 looks better than KZ?

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

riderz13371 said:
VXIII said:
walsufnir said:
VXIII said:

Personally I love first person view scenes in any games, one example is God Of War III,  at the very end, the game switches to fp view so you'd finsh of Zeus, it was perfect ..just perfect. I understand your point, but to tell a whole story without a real presence of the character is bad for the story.

let's be honest here, the vast majority of fp games is all about gameplay and don't even try to tell a good stroy :)

I've recently been enjoying third person shooters more than FPS games. I don't know why but I think just seeing your character move, take behind cover or even being shot at makes you feel more connected to him/her. Seeing them get hurt and seeing them react to being shot at has a much more emotional effect than just seeing red blood on your screen in an FPS game. I also love some of the character animations that you get to see in third person in games such as the Last of Us. 

Sir, you earned yourself a friend request :p

Exactly my point.

Around the Network

i never really liked killzone and i'm very interested in this killzone game. don't even know why but yeah, probably my most anticipated exclusive ps4 game right now (of those officially announced).

could be also infamous but i'm still not sure about that game. have to wait for gamescom

VXIII said:
walsufnir said:
VXIII said:

Personally I love first person view scenes in any games, one example is God Of War III,  at the very end, the game switches to fp view so you'd finish off Zeus, it was perfect ..just perfect. I understand your point, but to tell a whole story without a real presence of the character is bad for the story.

let's be honest here, the vast majority of fp games is all about gameplay and don't even try to tell a good story :)

Yes, it's sad that it is used only in a few games. I couldn't finish Crysis 2 because of being so unidentified with the main character. But Bioshock for example is a whole different story (literally ;)).

Perhaps tech like illumiroom or fortalezza/oculus rift can change the intense feelings of fp in a faster way. I want to be the guy who kicks ass - not a random person I control :D

FPS with new gameplay possibilities ? OK then 

J_Allard said:
riderz13371 said:
J_Allard said:
teigaga said:

The more I see of this game, the more it looks current gen and least I'm interested. Hopefully they can renew my excitement at gamescon.

The owl looks cool but thats not really enough.

Agreed. Current gen at least in terms of the actual gameplay anyway. Which is bad for me because the SP of KZ was never great to begin with imho. I hope they show something truly special with the MP. KZ2 had so much potential but needed some more balancing. KZ3 was a big step down imho.

Current gen in terms of gameplay? It's an fps...you're not going to slay dragons in it. lmfao

I bought a PS3 the day KZ2 launched because the environments, animations, atmosphere of the battlefield, and MP design looked to be unique. Lke nothing I had seen on PS2 or my 360. Here is my issue with Killzone 6... the graphics might look great, but what can be done with the gameplay that I cannot already do on current gen shooters? The answer so far has been nothing. And even the scope and atmosphere of the battlefield and the environments are not positive elements of the game anymore. It looks like a Crysis knock off.

So I will keep my eyes peeled for some MP stuff because the SP stuff looks like a current gen game with great graphics. aka shooters that have been available on PC for years.

Lets be honest here...just about everything on next gen looks like an upgraded current gen. No game revealed so far has any truly breakthrough gameplay.

Titanfall looks interesting..but thats going to be on current gen as well. So perhaps as gamers our expectations were/are too high.

At the very least i hope all these games are good games.

And since you bringing in PC gaming as well....then no game on any console will ever be breakthrough/groundbreaking ever again.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Damn, I can afford only one game to pre order at launch and currently is Watch dogs, now I'm tempted to change it for this game.