By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Examiner Hands-on: PS4's 'Killzone: Shadow Fall' excites with new gameplay possibilties

Tagged games:

teigaga said:

The more I see of this game, the more it looks current gen and least I'm interested. Hopefully they can renew my excitement at gamescon.

The owl looks cool but thats not really enough.

lol.

if killzone looks current gen

DR3, titanfall and KI are all PS2 games

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
teigaga said:

The more I see of this game, the more it looks current gen and least I'm interested. Hopefully they can renew my excitement at gamescon.

Agreed. Current gen at least in terms of the actual gameplay anyway. Which is bad for me because the SP of KZ was never great to begin with imho. I hope they show something truly special with the MP. KZ2 had so much potential but needed some more balancing. KZ3 was a big step down imho.

To be fair I think we won't see big changes at the beginning of the new gen. The transition will be very conservative, I believe. This isn't necessarily bad and I hope that designers will surprise us with even better story-telling than this gen, combined with a nice gameplay and some innovations.

riderz13371 said:
teigaga said:

Y u no like pew pew pew?

lol, theres nothing wrong with shooters but this just looks so mundane. There appears to be no character and nothing from the campaign so far looks particularly exhilerating. Technically its looking a bit dissapointing too. Am I the only person who thinks the melee animations are quite awkward.

But anyways I'm just being difficult, I'm sure the game will be cool, but probably not the must have title I was wanting it to be. 

hmm looks good. I do like the color change from previous kz games. I'll prob pick this up a bit after launch.

riderz13371 said:
J_Allard said:
Agreed. Current gen at least in terms of the actual gameplay anyway. Which is bad for me because the SP of KZ was never great to begin with imho. I hope they show something truly special with the MP. KZ2 had so much potential but needed some more balancing. KZ3 was a big step down imho.

Current gen in terms of gameplay? It's an fps...you're not going to slay dragons in it. lmfao

Not but the gameplay should look exciting.

Something needs to grab you whether it be setpieces, weapons, freedom/scale. But you are probably right to an extent, established FPS fans (especially KZ fans) will lap it up no problems but for guys who are a tad on the fence, I think we're left wanting.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
riderz13371 said:
teigaga said:

Y u no like pew pew pew?

lol, theres nothing wrong with shooters but this just looks so mundane. There appears to be no character and nothing from the campaign so far looks particularly exhilerating. Technically its looking a bit dissapointing too. Am I the only person who thinks the melee animations are quite awkward.

But anyways I'm just being difficult, I'm sure the game will be cool, but probably not the must have title I was wanting it to be. 

I think it's looks incredible. The OWL is an incredible adition. It let's you get to places quickly by using the rope gliding thing. It helps you in combat and it can detect enemies. It can probably do many other things but they just aren't ready to reveal it. I'm sure the game is still a work in progress, it's most likely going to release in November. Also, what do you mean no character? No main character has been revealed yet you mean? I'm sure that's something they will show pretty soon. I think Gamescom is just for the multi-player reveal for Shadow Fall but we'll get more trailers/gameplay as the release date approaches. They can't give everything away at once, they need to hype up the game slowly =P

teigaga said:
riderz13371 said:
J_Allard said:

Current gen in terms of gameplay? It's an fps...you're not going to slay dragons in it. lmfao

Not but the gameplay should look exciting.

Something needs to grab you whether it be setpieces, weapons, freedom/scale. But you are probably right to an extent, established FPS fans (especially KZ fans) will lap it up no problems but for guys who are a tad on the fence, I think we're left wanting.

Actually I'm glad you mentioned freedom/scale. In this Killzone there is much more freedom in the way you complete missions. You are essentially dropped off in an area and there are several missions you can go do in that area. The order you do the missions in is all up to you. For instance in that forest level we saw, I remember a developer saying you could first take out the alarm system and then go deal with the other missions after. This would make sure no enemy reinforcements came if you were caught, because you would have taken out the alarm and the Helghast would have no way to call in reinforcements. Or if you wanted to not do that mission first, you would get caught and you could hear the alarm go off which then brings in a lot more enemies.

Also the OWL gives you a lot more freedom as well. As I said to you before, you can use it to get into basically any location using the rope gliding perk that it has.

walsufnir said:
bananaking21 said:
walsufnir said:
bananaking21

I especially think that story-telling in first-person-view can be way more intense and is just way more realistic than seeing the person you control.

Well,  Just like in real life, movement and expressions tell so much about the character. Good animations in video games will always be an important way to get more sense of characters and story. First person view does not have any of that as it supposed to simulate "you" inside the game not the character, which is in my opinion..  a weak attempt at best.

FATALITY said:
teigaga said:

lol.

This looks pretty but I would mistake for a PC game from 2011. Have the graphics taken a hit since feb or is the engine just not well equipped to deal with organic landscapes?

So far Ryse and Forza are the only games which look like they actually belong on a next gen console. Obviously these are all launch games so I probably shouln't be so hard on KZ.

teigaga said:
FATALITY said:
teigaga said:

lol.

This looks pretty but I would mistake for a PC game from 2011. Have the graphics taken a hit since feb or is the engine just not well equipped to deal with organic landscapes?

So far Ryse and Forza are the only games which look like they actually belong on a next gen console. Obviously these are all launch games so I probably shouln't be so hard on KZ.

I somewhat agree that kz doesn't scream to me wow this is next gen. It looks good, better then current gen, but I just don't know lol. It's next gen, but not enough next gen.. Now this looks next gen to me. Watch dogs on next gen look really nice too.