By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Xbox One 12GB RAM upgrade debunked by Microsoft

ethomaz said:
JoeTheBro said:
Bullpoop

First they are using the upclock as proof of their sources. Well insiders expected the upclock to be 100-200 mhz, not 53.

Also the only reason any tech guy would believe this is because they did the same with the 360. They used dev kit boards for the final hardware so that ram could be upgraded late in production. I feel like this piece of history is actually the source of the rumor, not supporting evidence.

Love to be wrong though! I want 32 GB

The upgrade in 360 was the same that happened in PS4... they just changed the RAM chip for another more dense... no hardware changed needed.

Now how can you change the memory chips and reach 12GB? 16GB is more reasonable than 12GB.

PS. DevKits have additional memory slots and a bigger bus width... the final hardware not.

360 dev kits had 512 MB while the console was at 256 MB. Now xbone dev kits have 12 GB while the console is at 8 GB. Beneath these numbers they are completely different situations, but on the surface it looks like perfect evidence to support the rumor. Hence I believe it's actually the source of the rumor.

Just like the rumor of PS4 being upclocked a few years in. PSP did it true, but they are completely different situations.

Around the Network
JimmyDanger said:
I wouldn't complain if it was true. I'm not sure more RAM has ever been a bad thing, and it doesn't seem that long ago that having 2gb of RAM in a PC was deemed overkill. I'm not totally convinced by the source article, but I guess we'll see if more news comes to light.

But just to add to "conspiracy theories" proving there may be some truth in it - as well as the "non mentioning" of RAM on the official Xbox site unveiling article - in the Major Nelson unboxing video, he seemed pretty determined to only show one side of the box, and got it out of the picture pretty quickly... Could the other side (ie. Not the side that lists the boxes content that he showed) have details of specs, that eagle eyed video zooming editor types could use to leak this hardware upgrade?

Probably not, but I love some unfounded gossip - especially when there's some flimsy evidence to back it up that gives it some small credibility.

Not internal hardware specs but things like in/out connectors can be leaked.

JoeTheBro said:

360 dev kits had 512 MB while the console was at 256 MB. Now xbone dev kits have 12 GB while the console is at 8 GB. Beneath these numbers they are completely different situations, but on the surface it looks like perfect evidence to support the rumor. Hence I believe it's actually the source of the rumor.

Just like the rumor of PS4 being upclocked a few years in. PSP did it true, but they are completely different situations.

This is the differce...

256MB to 512MB = No hardware changes only the use of a more dense memory chip
8GB to 12GB = Hardware changes... PCB, bus width, etc
8GB to 16GB = No hardware changes only the use of a more dense memory chip

I can't see they modifying the hardware too close to release.

PS. Unless they did the hardware changes in early of this year when they know Sony reveled 8GB too.

Zekkyou said:
danasider said:
Getting a PS4, but I think if this news is correct, it's good news for everyone. If PS4 is approximately 1.5 times as powerful as XB1 with current official specs, the adding of ram might even the systems up a little more (what the extra ram did for the 360, one of a few reasons why it was the standard development platform for a lot of multiplats).

If the info is not true, than I can see a lot of multiplats using XB1 as the baseline for development and that will hold back what PS4 consumers get technologically speaking, outside of what is offered by first party.

The near parity between the 360 and PS3 (again, aside from first party offerings), made this current gen one of the best in terms of quality games, because the competition wouldn't allow either company to be complacent. And the multiplats eventually looked near equal on both systems. If PS4 truly outpowers the XB1 by what is currently known, I can see a lot of fugly multiplats coming our way (relative to what we'll expect the system to do with regards to first party games).

Only downside I see to this is faulty hardware for those getting XB1 due to the last minute adjustments, but I doubt it'd be as serious as RROD, because the XB1 is humongous, hehe.

I believe the PS4's average advantage was found to be more around 24%. None the less it’s still quite a big and noticeable advantage, at least in theory.  

Edit: To clarify, yes the PS4 has 50% more raw graphical computing power, but it translates into about a 24% advantage.

Oh, my bad.  I didn't look up a reference and only thought of the figure off the top of my head (from memory, didn't just make it up lol) and conflated the raw graphical power for overall power.  But either way, I'm sticking to my opinion.  System parity is a good thing.

Thanks for the catch though.  It'll teach me to not spout off random figures without knowing what they stand for in the future, haha :)

lol at 24% advantage lol

They used a way strong GPU than the Xbox One to reach these results.

And the guys here uses like it is true.

Around the Network
danasider said:
Zekkyou said:
danasider said:
Getting a PS4, but I think if this news is correct, it's good news for everyone. If PS4 is approximately 1.5 times as powerful as XB1 with current official specs, the adding of ram might even the systems up a little more (what the extra ram did for the 360, one of a few reasons why it was the standard development platform for a lot of multiplats).

If the info is not true, than I can see a lot of multiplats using XB1 as the baseline for development and that will hold back what PS4 consumers get technologically speaking, outside of what is offered by first party.

The near parity between the 360 and PS3 (again, aside from first party offerings), made this current gen one of the best in terms of quality games, because the competition wouldn't allow either company to be complacent. And the multiplats eventually looked near equal on both systems. If PS4 truly outpowers the XB1 by what is currently known, I can see a lot of fugly multiplats coming our way (relative to what we'll expect the system to do with regards to first party games).

Only downside I see to this is faulty hardware for those getting XB1 due to the last minute adjustments, but I doubt it'd be as serious as RROD, because the XB1 is humongous, hehe.

I believe the PS4's average advantage was found to be more around 24%. None the less it’s still quite a big and noticeable advantage, at least in theory.  

Edit: To clarify, yes the PS4 has 50% more raw graphical computing power, but it translates into about a 24% advantage.

Oh, my bad.  I didn't look up a reference and only thought of the figure off the top of my head (from memory, didn't just make it up lol) and conflated the raw graphical power for overall power.  But either way, I'm sticking to my opinion.  System parity is a good thing.

Thanks for the catch though.  It'll teach me to not spout off random figures without knowing what they stand for in the future, haha :)

No. Stick to your guns. 24% is so wrong it hurts.

I'm doubting this is true, since we haven't heard anything from the more well known leakers. And MS already specified 8GB at the reveal. That's going to be harder to change than some DRM software.

More importantly, however, is that we already know what happened last time they were still playing around with specs this close to launch and didn't give themselves adequate time for testing. If walsufnir is correct that the final builds of the console aren't going to be complete til the end of the month, this will only give MS a few weeks of testing with the final product before they need to start mass producing them and shipping them out. This screams RROD 2.0 to me. I just don't think MS is THAT arrogant to think they will get away with it a 2nd time.

Unfortunately for MS, IF they are that arrogant, this time around consumers don't have to wait more than a year before the competition releases their next gen product.

If this were actually true, I would find it amusing for 3 reasons:

- It feels like very few of the things we were told about the console when it was announced are the same as the console we're getting. It has already literally transformed in front of our eyes these past few months; and now it's changing even more.

- I thought "The Cloud" was supposed to offset any disadvantage XBone had in terms of physical hardware?

- It'd made Conegamer's old sig bet with APM look even more ridiculous.

All that said, I don't believe this for a second. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Most multi-plat games would still be limited by the (now) lower specs of the PS4; all that flapping about the Cloud would've seemed like it was for nothing; and it'd make the console even more expensive to produce (meaning either a price hike, which wouldn't happen, or a bigger loss having to be eaten by MS).

ethomaz said:

JoeTheBro said:

This is the differce...

256MB to 512MB = No hardware changes only the use of a more dense memory chip
8GB to 12GB = Hardware changes... PCB, bus width, etc
8GB to 16GB = No hardware changes only the use of a more dense memory chip

I can't see they modifying the hardware too close to release.

PS. Unless they did the hardware changes in early of this year when they know Sony reveled 8GB too.

bkilian from Beyond. (ex Microsoft employee) regarding the jump from 8gb to 12 gb instead of up to 16gb.

Actually, it wouldn't. It currently uses 16 4Gb chips. I saw an announcement go past just the other day announcing 6Gb chip manufacturing for DDR3. 16 6Gb chips == 12GB RAM.

And if they split it 8/4, then their marketing materials wouldn't have to change at all. It would have 8GB, for games.

Like I said before, I'm still expecting 8GB, as announced, and as planned when I was there. But expecting something and _knowing_ something are two different things.

I'm tired of people bringing RROD into this. It's off topic and report worthy. RROD had nothing to do with last minute changes since none of the last minute changes to the 360 involved more heat production or the heat management system.

The Xbox One however, has been designed and tested from day 1 to be capable of running for 10 years straight without overheating.

Adding RAM will never cause an RROD situation, especially not with the Xbox One's design.

I'm going to assume people were bringing it up out of ignorance and not to intentionally derail or troll the thread.