By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Xbox One 12GB RAM upgrade debunked by Microsoft

ethomaz said:
I believe if MS delayed the console to 2014.

Yeah, there's no way this will happen if they're releasing in November.

Around the Network
danasider said:
Getting a PS4, but I think if this news is correct, it's good news for everyone. If PS4 is approximately 1.5 times as powerful as XB1 with current official specs, the adding of ram might even the systems up a little more (what the extra ram did for the 360, one of a few reasons why it was the standard development platform for a lot of multiplats).

If the info is not true, than I can see a lot of multiplats using XB1 as the baseline for development and that will hold back what PS4 consumers get technologically speaking, outside of what is offered by first party.

The near parity between the 360 and PS3 (again, aside from first party offerings), made this current gen one of the best in terms of quality games, because the competition wouldn't allow either company to be complacent. And the multiplats eventually looked near equal on both systems. If PS4 truly outpowers the XB1 by what is currently known, I can see a lot of fugly multiplats coming our way (relative to what we'll expect the system to do with regards to first party games).

Only downside I see to this is faulty hardware for those getting XB1 due to the last minute adjustments, but I doubt it'd be as serious as RROD, because the XB1 is humongous, hehe.

I believe the PS4's average advantage was found to be more around 24%. None the less it’s still quite a big and noticeable advantage, at least in theory.  

Edit: To clarify, yes the PS4 has 50% more raw graphical computing power, but it translates into about a 24% advantage.

BinaryDelt said:
ethomaz said:
I believe if MS delayed the console to 2014.

Yeah, there's no way this will happen if they're releasing in November.

The article based this increase in RAM because MS upclocked the GPU but they forget to say that change the clock of the componente can be made even after release with a new FW... now add more RAM need to be made before to start the mass production.

It is August... Xbone is already in mass production for sure.

Pemalite said:
Egann said:

Besides, I'm not entirely convinced "more is better" with RAM. My PC rig has a paltry 6 GB, and task manager confirms I seldom use more than 4, often with stuff running in the background. I expect RAM--like other electronic components--hits a diminishing returns wall somewhere between 2 and 8 GB. Less than two and you'll hit memory limits all the time, more than 8 and you're going to have developers making spaghetti code.

The PC doesn't equate to a console in regards to memory usage, the PC is doing *far* more just in the background than a console ever has to manage, which makes sense, because the PC is the most flexible and powerfull platform available.

Plus, the PC has multiple memory pools, you have your System Ram, which may be 6Gb, but on top of that you also have your Video cards Ram which today is usually around 2-6Gb in size.

On a console the video and system memory are one in the same this time around, thus if you were to compare say... The PS4 to a PC a developer might use 4Gb of that ram for GPU operations, leaving 3Gb for other tasks and 1Gb for the OS, suddenly that 8Gb of Ram doesn't sound like allot when you compare it to my 32Gb of System Ram and 9Gb of total video card memory. (3Gb is the max usable in games, however with compute I can use the whole 9Gb.)

You also can't forget that these machines are expected to last a decade without any changes in the hardware, what might seem "somewhat decent" today... Will seem paltry and pathetic in 5-10 years time. (Hence my wanting for better hardware in all the consoles.)

Oh, I'm sure developers will use all of whatever they're given, but I wonder how much of that will actually be constructive use. PC's are in an odd situation because most monitors can go higher than 1080p or will during this generation, so they actually can use a lot of power. Consoles? I don't think any of them support 4K, so past a certain point what difference does it make? More RAM will basically translate to running uncompressed textures which your HDTV screen can't display even if your system can churn them out. Games announced thusfar like MGS5 and Witcher 3 make me think the new hardware can run open world environments with visuals maxed out for the display--or close enough, anyway, my eye won't be able to tell the difference.

I just don't see RAM adding meaningfully to the equation when the limiting reagent is the 1080p HDTV screen.

Not going to happen. Upclocking happens all the time with consoles. I'm pretty sure his sources he his best friend.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:

Not going to happen. Upclocking happens all the time with consoles. I'm pretty sure his sources he his best friend.

The source is "intersomething" at Beyond3D the same used by DigitalFoundry in the latest articles.

Bullpoop

First they are using the upclock as proof of their sources. Well insiders expected the upclock to be 100-200 mhz, not 53.

Also the only reason any tech guy would believe this is because they did the same with the 360. They used dev kit boards for the final hardware so that ram could be upgraded late in production. I feel like this peice of history is actually the source of the rumor, not supporting evidence.

Love to be wrong though! I want 32 GB

because 70% of the time, it works every time

JoeTheBro said:
Bullpoop

First they are using the upclock as proof of their sources. Well insiders expected the upclock to be 100-200 mhz, not 53.

Also the only reason any tech guy would believe this is because they did the same with the 360. They used dev kit boards for the final hardware so that ram could be upgraded late in production. I feel like this peice of history is actually the source of the rumor, not supporting evidence.

Love to be wrong though! I want 32 GB

The upgrade in 360 was the same that happened in PS4... they just changed the RAM chip for another more dense... no hardware changed needed.

Now how can you change the memory chips and reach 12GB? 16GB is more reasonable than 12GB.

PS. DevKits have additional memory slots and a bigger bus width... the final hardware not.

I wouldn't complain if it was true. I'm not sure more RAM has ever been a bad thing, and it doesn't seem that long ago that having 2gb of RAM in a PC was deemed overkill. I'm not totally convinced by the source article, but I guess we'll see if more news comes to light.

But just to add to "conspiracy theories" proving there may be some truth in it - as well as the "non mentioning" of RAM on the official Xbox site unveiling article - in the Major Nelson unboxing video, he seemed pretty determined to only show one side of the box, and got it out of the picture pretty quickly... Could the other side (ie. Not the side that lists the boxes content that he showed) have details of specs, that eagle eyed video zooming editor types could use to leak this hardware upgrade?

Probably not, but I love some unfounded gossip - especially when there's some flimsy evidence to back it up that gives it some small credibility.