By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Xbox One 12GB RAM upgrade debunked by Microsoft

I think it would be pretty funny if all of these last minute changes would cause another RROD issue.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
I think it would be pretty funny if all of these last minute changes would cause another RROD issue.

Wat?

Egann said:
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

The real problem is that unlike Sony going from 2 GB to 4 GB and finally 8 GB, 12 GB is not an even power of two. The only easy explanation for how they could change the amount of RAM this late in the game would be if they had a memory slot the X1 was designed to use, but for some strange reason was left empty.

Besides, I'm not entirely convinced "more is better" with RAM. My PC rig has a paltry 6 GB, and task manager confirms I seldom use more than 4, often with stuff running in the background. I expect RAM--like other electronic components--hits a diminishing returns wall somewhere between 2 and 8 GB. Less than two and you'll hit memory limits all the time, more than 8 and you're going to have developers making spaghetti code.

At this point I'm pretty convinced the X1 is this generations most numerically powerful gen 8 console already. I'm just not sure that will amount to anything.

Not a power of two? Yeah, this is... non-noteworthy.

And just because you don't seem to use your pc to the limits doesn't say anything on how devs use console-hardware.

Do they even need more ram, they have the cloud don't they which make the console 600 time more powerful

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
Do they even need more ram, they have the cloud don't they which make the console 600 time more powerful

But ram != power.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
chapset said:

But ram != power.

wrong more ram = more power also more cloud = more power

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
walsufnir said:
chapset said:

But ram != power.

wrong more ram = more power also more cloud = more power

Getting a PS4, but I think if this news is correct, it's good news for everyone. If PS4 is approximately 1.5 times as powerful as XB1 with current official specs, the adding of ram might even the systems up a little more (what the extra ram did for the 360, one of a few reasons why it was the standard development platform for a lot of multiplats).

If the info is not true, than I can see a lot of multiplats using XB1 as the baseline for development and that will hold back what PS4 consumers get technologically speaking, outside of what is offered by first party.

The near parity between the 360 and PS3 (again, aside from first party offerings), made this current gen one of the best in terms of quality games, because the competition wouldn't allow either company to be complacent. And the multiplats eventually looked near equal on both systems. If PS4 truly outpowers the XB1 by what is currently known, I can see a lot of fugly multiplats coming our way (relative to what we'll expect the system to do with regards to first party games).

Only downside I see to this is faulty hardware for those getting XB1 due to the last minute adjustments, but I doubt it'd be as serious as RROD, because the XB1 is humongous, hehe.

riderz13371 said:
badgenome said:

Do you smell that?

Wow that caught me off guard, I can’t stop laughing at the pic! xD

But yeah, this sounds like some serious bull.

I believe if MS delayed the console to 2014.

Upclock = software changes = can be made anytime even after the release of console with a new FW.
MOAR RAM = hardware changes = they need to do that before start production = delay