By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Xbox One 12GB RAM upgrade debunked by Microsoft

Honestly this would just be a massive waste of money.  There would be no performace benifits since 8GB is far more than enough room for the amount of horsepower behind the X1.  

It would be like increasing from a 5-lane highway to an 8 lane highway when you only have 4 cars driving on it.  They need double the speedlimit instead...

Around the Network

Is Sony doomed?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

MB1025 said:

bkilian from Beyond. (ex Microsoft employee) regarding the jump from 8gb to 12 gb instead of up to 16gb.

Actually, it wouldn't. It currently uses 16 4Gb chips. I saw an announcement go past just the other day announcing 6Gb chip manufacturing for DDR3. 16 6Gb chips == 12GB RAM.

And if they split it 8/4, then their marketing materials wouldn't have to change at all. It would have 8GB, for games.

Like I said before, I'm still expecting 8GB, as announced, and as planned when I was there. But expecting something and _knowing_ something are two different things.

A 8/4 means you have hald of the bus width (128bits) acessing 8GB memory and other half (128bits) accesing 4GB... the concurrence to use the 8GB memory will be bigger than use 4GB... there will be performance issues with the 68GB/s bandwidth unless you make a really good memory management with the software.

Works but it is not the best way to use the bus width.

16GB fits better than 12GB.

There is a reason to Dual, Triple, Quad-channel in PC require memory with the same size ... 12GB means a Dual-channel with two chips of memory but one with 4GB and nother with 8GB.

JoeTheBro said:
danasider said:
Zekkyou said:
danasider said:
Getting a PS4, but I think if this news is correct, it's good news for everyone. If PS4 is approximately 1.5 times as powerful as XB1 with current official specs, the adding of ram might even the systems up a little more (what the extra ram did for the 360, one of a few reasons why it was the standard development platform for a lot of multiplats).

If the info is not true, than I can see a lot of multiplats using XB1 as the baseline for development and that will hold back what PS4 consumers get technologically speaking, outside of what is offered by first party.

The near parity between the 360 and PS3 (again, aside from first party offerings), made this current gen one of the best in terms of quality games, because the competition wouldn't allow either company to be complacent. And the multiplats eventually looked near equal on both systems. If PS4 truly outpowers the XB1 by what is currently known, I can see a lot of fugly multiplats coming our way (relative to what we'll expect the system to do with regards to first party games).

Only downside I see to this is faulty hardware for those getting XB1 due to the last minute adjustments, but I doubt it'd be as serious as RROD, because the XB1 is humongous, hehe.

I believe the PS4's average advantage was found to be more around 24%. None the less it’s still quite a big and noticeable advantage, at least in theory.  

Edit: To clarify, yes the PS4 has 50% more raw graphical computing power, but it translates into about a 24% advantage.

Oh, my bad.  I didn't look up a reference and only thought of the figure off the top of my head (from memory, didn't just make it up lol) and conflated the raw graphical power for overall power.  But either way, I'm sticking to my opinion.  System parity is a good thing.

Thanks for the catch though.  It'll teach me to not spout off random figures without knowing what they stand for in the future, haha :)

No. Stick to your guns. 24% is so wrong it hurts.

I really don't know how raw graphical power and advantage differ, because I'm pretty tech naive.  Just used a figure I read somewhere, but the number, whether 24 or 50, doesn't change the point of my post.  If someone could enlighten me as to what Zekkyou meant and/or how he's wrong, that'd be good, but in the end it doesn't affect my opinion, hehe.

landguy1 said:
Never too late to make the change IMO. Why wouldn't you want to maximize the minimum set up of your gaem system. It won't help the firs 2 years, but years 3-7/10 it would. Like many others have said, it can't hurt to have more ram. I agree with others that it will help 1st party a few years down the line for sure. Seems funny that so many people can't grasp that this was probably an option for them all along in the design. They probably chose to save some costs and go 8gb when they thought that Sony was only 4gb. Once Sony housed them at the reveals, they have been scrambling ever since to maximize what they can. Either way, it would be nice if its 12, but it does seem less likely to be reality.

Props for using a term from my era of Hip-Hop. 

Oh and yeah about the rumor, Pezuz makes a good point and if it's true, we'll find out then.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Around the Network
pezus said:
After watching the unboxing video I wouldn't be very surprised. Larry said something like: "and here it says what's inside, which I'm not showing you" and later "see you at gamescom!"

You saw that power brick right.

pezus said:
After watching the unboxing video I wouldn't be very surprised. Larry said something like: "and here it says what's inside, which I'm not showing you" and later "see you at gamescom!"

The "see you at gamescom" thing was in reference to something new about the power button.

Rumor gives this a 10% credibility.

70% of 10%...

7% chance this will happen...

OMG FF7 Remake confirmed!

toadslayer72 said:
landguy1 said:
Never too late to make the change IMO. Why wouldn't you want to maximize the minimum set up of your gaem system. It won't help the firs 2 years, but years 3-7/10 it would. Like many others have said, it can't hurt to have more ram. I agree with others that it will help 1st party a few years down the line for sure. Seems funny that so many people can't grasp that this was probably an option for them all along in the design. They probably chose to save some costs and go 8gb when they thought that Sony was only 4gb. Once Sony housed them at the reveals, they have been scrambling ever since to maximize what they can. Either way, it would be nice if its 12, but it does seem less likely to be reality.

Props for using a term from my era of Hip-Hop. 

Oh and yeah about the rumor, Pezuz makes a good point and if it's true, we'll find out then.

Once you hit your forties, you can't remember what the current terms are for everything.  I have 3-4 generations of "terms" floating through my head...

riderz13371 said:
pezus said:

The "see you at gamescom" thing was in reference to something new about the power button.

Yeah I'm guessing sleep mode? Or they made it feather sensitive (because that's what people want!)