By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A very good new article comparing Xbox One and PS4 post Xbox One GPU boost!

DialgaMarine said:
I have to be a broken record here... I'm constantly hearing about how XBone has a whole plethora of features that the system can do that sets it apart from the PS4, but I still have yet to hear what they actually are... Can someone please, for the love of god, tell me?

A few of the Xbox One difference I came up off the top of my head:

Kinect - you can talk to your console - hey Xbox, look up this game/movie/tv show/actor/director/etc. Xbox.  In addition to 'pause' 'rewind' all by your voice, etc. (It really useful when you live with it.)

Motion Gaming included for up-to 6 players in the Xbox One, including heart rate:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi5kMNfgDS4

Instant switching of games - demo: http://www.gamespot.com/video/xbox-one-interface-demo-6408651/

Playing a game or watching while waiting for an online game que to come up.

Can also be used to control your TV with you voice (or controller, or universal remote.)

Instantly recognizing you and logging you in, even if you switch controllers or places.

Skype, video conference included in every Xbox One, can be 'snapped' to the side even when you are playing a game.

The Controller - the One controller takes the best of the Xbox 360's then add some other features, lower latency, more battery life, the biggest advancement is 'feedback triggers.'   Having tried them I think they are going to be a great innovation in immersion and game feedback.  (The PS4 has a 'touch pad' which I understand will be nice for browsing, but a bit awkward to use in games because of it's placement.)

Many, many  app, I know Sony will have many, but doesn't seem to have anything near the level of Xbox's. 

Integration with you existing tablet through Xbox Smartglass your ipad, Windows Phone, Surface, Android Tablet, etc. (the PS4 can do similar but only with the Vita).

Integration with Windows 8 apps.

Xbox One will be running a version of DirecX 11.2, PS4 will be running OpenGL

Similar:

The both have sharing DVR Game features, Blu-ray, streaming, a form of friends, and gaming features. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
killerzX said:
ethomaz said:
killerzX said:

"And tests simulating the potential performance of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One only resulted in a 24 percent difference."

only 24 percent?

24% seems huge.

These are Leadbetter using a HD 7850 to simulate the Xbone lol.

i dont know what that means.

leadbetter, is a person, right? i dont know anything about graphics cards

One of the editors of Digital Foundry... the pro MS.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-xbox-one-multi-platform-games-compete-with-ps4

He used a HD 7870 to simulate the PS4 (well PS4 is between a HD 7850 and HD 7870) and a HD 7850 to simulate Xbone (it is HD 7770 in spec terms)... so fair.

killerzX said:

"And tests simulating the potential performance of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One only resulted in a 24 percent difference."

only 24 percent?

24% seems huge.

Yes, if you are buying stuff on sale.

But, If you think in graphic abilities, you usually have to get more than 100% for humans to even notice.   24% is really tiny.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:

But, If you think in graphic abilities, you usually have to get more than 100% for humans to even notice.   24% is really tiny.

24% is what you need sometimes to change a game from Mid to High quality in PC... just saying.

ethomaz said:

Zappykins said:

But, If you think in graphic abilities, you usually have to get more than 100% for humans to even notice.   24% is really tiny.

24% is what you need sometimes to change a game from Mid to High quality in PC... just saying.

That is a very good point and I will say again I am not taking sides. To say that 24% is too small to notice when it comes to the power the PS4 has graphically over the Xbox One is to also say that a 6% boost for Microsoft from 800mhz to 853mhz then would be a microscopic boost. Then why should it be referred to as a boost at all. Lets be serious both systems have a lot of great features some Xbox One does better and some PS4 does better. Ps4 is graphically more capable and $100 cheaper. Xbox One has the second to none Kinect system which is amazing but also causes the system to be $100 more expensive. 

"I support the industry that's why I rock with all of the Big 3!"

Around the Network

I don't think a 10fps frame rate difference "in theory" is that big of a deal if MS can drop some higher shadows or whatever. To me it's not really a big deal, and third parties are going to have to "take advantage" of the PS4 to really show the differences. It will just me like last gen where first party titles really shine. Those that optimize the PS4/XB1 respectively will have some really nice games.

If you care about graphics so much, just grab a high end PC.

It's just that simple.

24% is still quite a significant difference. I still don't think though that many people will be able to tell the graphics difference between Xbox 1 and PS4 games.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

This article is pretty poor actually. Lots of errors. Xbox one teraflop numbers have .02 added to them for some reason. Also they didn't know the ram is indeed "better" with this upclock. I stopped reading when they confused the FCC hz number for the cpu instead of for ram.

24% is smaller than the diference of ps2 and GC?

Yes the PS4 is more powerful. It's NOT important how much. What IS important is that the PS4 is more powerful... at a lower price.

If the Xbox One didn't come with a Kinect 2.0 it would cost probably $350 instead of $500.

We've seen in previous generations certain consoles that are more powerful and they cost more. The Wii was the weakest of the 3 last gen. It was the cheapest and sold the most. We seen the PS3 struggle at launch. Sure it was the most powerful of the 3 and the most expensive.

The PS4 is again the most powerful of the 3, but not as expensive as the Xbox One. It will be interesting to see what happens at launch and beyond