By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Cloud/Cloud Computing is the way of the Future. Agree or disagree?

This is to let people to discuss The Cloud or if you want to Galkai (Though different services from what I know). 

I for one believe that The Cloud has a big future in gaming like it or not.  Third parties will take advantage of The Cloud and it will be the biggest difference maker this generation.  At first I don't expect a lot of games to really take advantage of it but just like Hardware, The Cloud will also progress.  Microsoft is already heavily investing in the cloud and making servers cheaper for developers to use.  I believe Sony will also be heavily invested by the end of the generation if they aren't planning on to at the moment.  

Developers (Third and First Party) has been talking about The Cloud a lot since the reveal, and I expect it to only become more frequent as time goes on.  While the world was not ready for always online, I do believe the world is ready for the cloud.  This is something that will not be forced, but the people who do have an online service will have the superior version of the game.  

So you know my opinion but what is your opinion on The Cloud in gaming?  Is it the way of the future?  Will Sony and Microsoft both be heavily invested in it by the end of the generation?  What is your thoughts?  And if you want to talk about Nintendo using it you can as well.

Around the Network

THE CLOUD

Cloud may have a bright future (unfortunately) but not so much in gaming. Aside from streaming entire games, there's very little cloud can bring to gaming. Syncing saves between devices is probably the most important one, and even that's not a major benefit with all the DRM and stuff. And consumers don't seem to like the idea of streaming games, and it has one major problem: latency.

In fact, latency is a major problem for any significant use of the cloud in gaming, because gaming is always interactive. Most games need to be responsive, there's relatively few games where it's not required. And then there's the fact that using cloud as an aid, if it even can be of any signifact help, is probably pretty hard to monetize... Yeah, I don't see anyone running free servers computing stuff for people.

Maybe later, but for now, the whole cloud thing is getting blown out of proportions.

RolStoppable said:
I can easily see "The Cloud" becoming "teh cloud" in the near future.

"You know, those games don't look as impressive as I hoped."
- "Just wait until you see what teh cloud can do!"

...as painful as it is to admit as a Sony fan...

I agree.

Cloud is a fad and will never get the success people think it will get.

Software orporations thinking their customers (companies and mass public) will allow them to take control of all their data and tie them with a contractual relationship are stupid.

Nothing will ever beat controlling datas on local physical support.

Around the Network

Maybe..but it depends.

"The Cloud" (aka the internet) is already useful, and has been for many many years now. Its not anything new.

Will "The Cloud" be useful for games, is the question. I don't think internet speeds are there yet.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

I'm finding it really hard to get excited or even interested in something so mundane.

It's somebody's future, but not mine.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Lucas-Rio said:
Cloud is a fad and will never get the success people think it will get.

Software orporations thinking their customers (companies and mass public) will allow them to take control of all their data and tie them with a contractual relationship are stupid.

Nothing will ever beat controlling datas on local physical support.

Not sure the future of the cloud as far as gaming is concerned... Not sure I want it either... But I agree with this pretty much word for word. 

In next-next gen yes, but not in the upcoming gen. It definitely won't be a difference maker in the upcoming gen.