By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Everquest Next looks like the next best MMO

ethomaz said:

MDMAlliance said:

I know of MMO's and have played a few.  However, I hear people using the word "innovate" very tightly around here and say how this and that isn't "innovation" at all.  I get what the innovation is supposed to be, but I keep seeing people use the word as if you need to do something completely new and by definition the MMO isn't. For an MMO, I would believe it is.  MMO's don't tend to have these kinds of elements, I know but for some reason other genres doing similar things aren't innovating?  Maybe you do judge it fairly, but how I keep seeing the word used this wouldn't be called an innovation.

Hummmmmm... Do you think Uncharted is innovative? I do but if you looks for each feature in the game you will see that previous games did the same but not not all together. Uncharted gets the good ideia from a lot of games and put it together in an amazing way.... that's make the delivery something innovative.

It's not innovative in a single feature... it is innovative in how you can put all together and enhancement the old ideias in a way that the final develiver for the game is a complete new experience.

I have issues with the language... so I don't know if I make what I think clear.

SOE is doing something that no other company did with MMO's before like ND did with Uncharted.

I haven't played Uncharted, so I can't comment on it.  I know a lot of people like making weird comments about games they haven't played.  

I simply am making commentary about how I see many users (and journalists for that matter) use the word "innovate" in an unfair way.  They would say that such and such game does not innovate at all, while commenting on another game saying how innovative it is even though both games use ideas that exist in new forms.  Or so it seems, at least because the term seems to be shrouded in obscurity.  Not many people even explain what they mean by the word and are very inconsistent.

For the bolded part: I agree that the game is doing for MMO's what I haven't seen in any MMO I've played or seen before.

Around the Network

MDMAlliance said:

I haven't played Uncharted, so I can't comment on it.  I know a lot of people like making weird comments about games they haven't played.  

I simply am making commentary about how I see many users (and journalists for that matter) use the word "innovate" in an unfair way.  They would say that such and such game does not innovate at all, while commenting on another game saying how innovative it is even though both games use ideas that exist in new forms.  Or so it seems, at least because the term seems to be shrouded in obscurity.  Not many people even explain what they mean by the word and are very inconsistent.

For the bolded part: I agree that the game is doing for MMO's what I haven't seen in any MMO I've played or seen before.

There is always a chance to SOE fail hard in what they want to do but if what they plan goes right then I think I will be addicted to a MMO like I'm not in years.

I was thinking to try FFXIV MMO but SE fucked me not giving me a Beta pass... all my friends received one from email after the registration in the Beta site (I even registered my SE games on the official site to say "I play game dohhhh").

ktay95 said:
ignoring everything until its announced for PS4. dont want to get excited for a game i may never play

Completely agree, with dcuo and ps2 (of which the engine is being used for EQN) already developed for the ps4, and how controller friendly the game already seems to be as admiited by the devs, I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't.  I get that the demographic may not be as ripe, but thats because there havent been any truly great, innovative mmo's on consoles because there are so few of them available to begin with.  Lets hope that changes with next-gen, please let that change...

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

OK guys I don't blame you for not understanding what they are promising and why this is a different than any MMO that has come out since everquest.

I will do my best to explain and post videos of people that are much better explaining.

LOL at the people making this microsoft sony thing...seriously get a life. Oh and by the way, Minecraft ≠ Microsoft.

TWO games were announce, Everquest Next (the MMO) and Everquest Next Landmark (the world builder "minecraft killer"), both free the play, Landmark out this winter

In this game you make anything you want, and if you are good you can sell it. Look up SOE "Player Studios" people are making real money off this. SOE will hold competitions so makers come out with best structures, statues, keeps, ruins, cities,....chairs. The winners will make it to the real game, but the maker will be honoured with his name on the item or something like that.

Around the Network

some gameplay example and the dynamics of "layers"

Look at the video. Look at this picture and let your imagination go wild. The defs are saying that they will make content to be discovered and consumed, so only a few people experience it because they can move these caves anywhere in the world, but earthquakes or sunamies. :)

Start At MINUTE  19

This is best thing so far. Basically they will give a global quest to found a city on a new area. NPC will give quests to drive yhe orcs away, others will give quests to harvest wood or stone, crafters will have to make walls, houses,whatever. The quest can take up to 3 months. This is very high concept and very hard for me explain. Watch the video and ask me what confuses you. 

Lastly skills combat and classes.

Look at how different classes hold the same sword :)

RenCutypoison said:
They all look like the best. Then they release.

This. They always make huge promises, but in the end they all have problems.

OK this is some guys that understand and really enjoy all apects of MMOs. Maybe they can make a better case than me to why you should be paying attention to this game.