By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2013: Seattle Seahawks win Super Bowl XLVIII

Preseason voting: Who will win the Super Bowl?

Ravens 28 6.14%

Patriots 53 11.62%

Broncos 141 30.92%

Texans 9 1.97%

Other (AFC) 19 4.17%

49ers 32 7.02%

Falcons 5 1.10%

Packers 17 3.73%

Seahawks 101 22.15%

Other (NFC) 47 10.31%

Total:452

Yes the best two teams made. Also the intro to AFC Championship game narrated by Don Cheadle was epic. Going to root for the Broncos to win it all.

Around the Network

Congrats Zelhawks. Congrats in not only beating me outright (same damn place as last season) but for also having your team make the SB.

Guess I'll see ya'll next season, where hopefully I won't get stumped at the damn conf championship again.

Oh one more thing...

Seahawks by 3

Seahawks passing game will improve with Harvin returning. Lynch will run for 100+ again as he has against 2 great run defenses already. LOB will get 2 interceptions. Seahawks win by 6.

superchunk said:
Congrats Zelhawks. Congrats in not only beating me outright (same damn place as last season) but for also having your team make the SB.

Guess I'll see ya'll next season, where hopefully I won't get stumped at the damn conf championship again.

Thanks dude! That game was intense. Not gonna be easy beating Denver.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

Around the Network

I was wrong in both of my picks. lame superbowl. can't stand either team and I don't really care who wins.

I am glad they play the Seahawks instead of the 49ers. SF really beat themselves yesterday with some crappy plays, especially unforced bad decisions by Kaep. I think my team has a much better chance of beating Seattle than the 49ers. Should be a good game either way.

Loved the league and have liked this for the three years you've done it. Obviously first was just random and not entirely thought out... but the last two official years were a lot of fun.

Thanks rol!

RolStoppable said:

ANNOUNCEMENT - Prediction League Postmortem

It's not over yet, but the season is as good as done. I can't wait until after the Super Bowl with this, so I'll do it now. In this post I will reflect on the NFL season, the prediction league, ramble a lot and insult random people.

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for participating in the prediction league. Except for the quitters, the people who forgot that they were actually in the playoffs and all the sore losers. You are cool guys, Zelhawks37 and NobleTeam360.

Next up, I am willing to accept noname2200 back in the Packers family after the huge fallout during mid-season. That was a lot of dramarama, but in the end the Packers won their division against great... um, no... against good... no, that's not it either... against teams that were there... at least more or less... yes, that sounds about right.

What else did happen? burninmylight was starring in the role of the rebel who constantly had an issue with what I did. But eventually he came around to realize that my rules served a purpose and weren't just there to make life harder for everyone.

Will there be another prediction league next year? I won't guarantee it, because I am looking at VGC on a year-by-year basis. Seven months is a long off-season, so I might decide to leave this site. The bragging of Sony fans was already hard to bear when they were in third place, so I doubt that they can handle winning. But if I stay, the NFL thread will go up in August.

This year saw some rule adjustments and I think they worked well for the most part. Giving everyone with a top 5 worthy record for the week at least one prediction point benefitted the more consistent players, and the perfect Monday night predictions occured about as often as I expected it over the course of the season. However, more PP being handed out tips off the balance for the homefield advantage in the playoffs (even though all players have the same chance to earn PP all season long), so assigning less weight to prediction points might not be a bad idea. Currently two PP are worth as much as one correct pick, but that could easily change to a 3:1 ratio next year. I am not thinking about any additional sources for PP, because there are already enough numbers to juggle as it is.

The rate of errors in the spreadsheet was reduced from last year as I only had zuvuyeay as a second #2 seed in the divisional round for a week. Of course there might be errors that nobody noticed, but I'd like to assume that everything is correct.

I was very disappointed in the reaction to the massbannings this season. There was hardly any response, so I take it that people just assumed that those bans would never hold up. Why do you guys have such a high opinion of me when it comes to fairplay?

And that's about it from my side. It's two weeks until the Super Bowl, so that's plenty of time for you to speak your mind in regards to the prediction league while people are still paying attention. Suggestions, complaints etc.

Thank you Rol, u did a great job as NFL Prediction League Comissioner.

theRepublic said:

With all the talk lately about evaluating Peyton's neck in the coming offseason, I just feel like we are being setup for a retirement announcment if the Broncos win the Super Bowl.

The clause in his contract about the neck evaluation was known when he signed the contract, and the story came from ESPN, which talked about that. Other than that, they base this off of Manning's comment that he can "see the light at the end of the tunnel" which makes sense, because he's 37. It's possible that he retires in the offseason, but I would imagine only if he fails the evaluation, and I don't think that's likely. The rumors also say that how the Broncos do in the postseason won't affect Manning's decision.

Rol; thanks for hosting again. I think the rule changes you made this season did a nice job of improving the league. As for why we didn't take your mass banning threats seriously... well, I figured that it'd be no fun to play by yourself, so you couldn't ban everyone... and even if you did, we could just pretend like you didn't and carry on anyway.