By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Intel Ivy Bridge-E Processors Flagship Core i7-4960X To Cost $990 US

CGI-Quality said:

DDR4 capable Haswell-Es. * Drool *?

Cool!  Any ETA there? Will they do that, or jump strait to Broadwell?  (the Haswell tick)

I'm waiting to see what happens when they plop that into a new Surface Pro - perhapse a Surface Pro 3?  (If they still make them by then.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

I'll be skipping Ivy Bridge-E, 10% just ain't worth it when I can overclock that difference!
Haswell-E on the other hand will be the one to jump onto in my opinion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

CGI-Quality said:
Solid-Stark said:
This screams overkill to me, but looks cool.

Only overkill if you use it strictly for gaming (which I wouldn't advise, ever). However, for people like me, it's just right.

I do more than just game. I do run into some issues with my current hardware (bottlenecks and multitasking issues) but it's nothing to cry or rage about. Nonetheless, I can't imagine I'd ever fully put a 1K Intel CPU to use but I can definitely put the 4930K or better the 4820K to good use. But if you say so...

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Pemalite said:
I'll be skipping Ivy Bridge-E, 10% just ain't worth it when I can overclock that difference!
Haswell-E on the other hand will be the one to jump onto in my opinion.

This. But we have to wait till next year.

e=mc^2

$1000 cpu's are nothing new, specially if they are Extreme editions, what I like is the native pci-e 3.0 and DDR3 @1866 MHz memory support up from 1333mhz as well the clock per clock increased performance which is kind of "meh" 10% . buts is ok.  also Ivy Bridge has its benefits, consumes less power.  but imo, not worth an upgrade for me....  Anyhow, if some is planning on building a pc on a X79 platform is an enthusiast, wants the best of the best and last thing in his mind would be the word "budget" ,,

In my opinion, is not worth upgrading yet if you have a Sandy Bridge i7 2700k or an i5 2500k on a z68 or z77 to ivy ,  and so not worth upgrading from an ivy bridge i5 3570k to 4670k hasswell or from an i7 3770k to 4770k unless you want cosmedic motherboard upgrades or you need to ugrade from a LGA 775..

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Solid-Stark said:
CGI-Quality said:
Solid-Stark said:
This screams overkill to me, but looks cool.

Only overkill if you use it strictly for gaming (which I wouldn't advise, ever). However, for people like me, it's just right.

I do more than just game. I do run into some issues with my current hardware (bottlenecks and multitasking issues) but it's nothing to cry or rage about. Nonetheless, I can't imagine I'd ever fully put a 1K Intel CPU to use but I can definitely put the 4930K or better the 4820K to good use. But if you say so...

Oh, I can understand wanting to skip it, and it is overkill for most people/applications. Just not all.

Your right, should have worded my initial post better.

e=mc^2

That be crazy money, for some people with money to burn that just have to have the best performance it's ok I guess lol. I really wish that they had a competitor in the high end space to get some more price competition.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

CGI-Quality said:

DDR4 capable Haswell-Es. * Drool *?

I wonder how much longer will it take before ddr4 is the status quo?

"I support the industry that's why I rock with all of the Big 3!"

I no longer get excited about overly expensive and powerful CPUs. I mostly get excited about overly expensive and powerful GPUs. I do remember a time though when a jump from a Pentium 2 to a pentium 3, or even something as simple as a P100MHz vs P75MHz was considered a huge boon for gaming purposes.

CGI-Quality said:

For you Haswell-E patient waiters, here's a snippet:

Personally, this would be the only thing I'd upgrade to in 2014, keeping my 32GB of RAM and Titanx2 from my upcoming Sept 2013 build. Can't imagine two Titans being outdated, by much, until Volta GPUs arrive in 2016.

I thought they might have 8 core CPUs in the IB-E update but it looks like they won't. 8 core SB-E Xeons are already available with 20mb of cache. I'd imagine the people who don't want to wait, but want the extra cores/threads/cache would just spring for an IB-EP Xeon (or SB-EP Xeon) instead of waiting for Haswell-E. As long as they aren't overclocking.

It's also too bad Haswell-E won't be compatible with current 2011 motherboards as it has the 2011-3 socket.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"