By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - IGN Australia Lost Odyssey Review

naznatips said:

God I hope every game doesn't start copying FF. FF has sucked since it went 3D (with the notable exception of FFIX), and there are dozens upon dozens of JRPGs that I'd rather play than the other 3D FF games. FF is the most casual RPG in existence, and I'm including Pokemon in that. It lives on the idea that if it has pretty graphics it doesn't matter if everything else sucks, and that's what sells it. So, I'm sorry to hear that LO is copying Final Fantasy. I'll stick with good JRPGs thanks.

PS: Blue Dragon was a much better game than reviewers gave it credit for.

LOL. Way to pass an opinion of as a fact. The 3D Final Fantasy games have been great and brought a lot of new fans to the series which benefits everyone. If's the fault of gamers around the world that FF is on it's current pedestal as they constantly buying them and ignoring other JRPG's had resulted in FF being put on this pedestal. I would say that I've enjoyed the FF experience over the past 10yrs, some games more than others, but all within the level of expectation. I think it's more that die hard fans of other JRPG's can't stand that FF name is remembered while other 'better' JRPG's in their opinion get forgotten.

I mean, in the end, even though sales is not inductive of quality, it definitely influences what games are remembered and which games are not. The remembered games go on to get more publicity, more attention, thus resulting in more sales. Consumers only have themselves to blame for the fact that FF is on a pedestal in regards to JRPG gaming because they are the ones who put it there.

I bet you anything that FFXIII does not get a 7.5 gameplay even if the gameplay is horrible.

Around the Network

darthdevidem01 said:

WHY all the FF HATE suddenly

because a bunch of reviewers are comparing it to FF....

Final Fantasy has been in decline for sometime and in general the oldest fans of the series have increasing become fed up with it. 

Lightning08 said:
naznatips said:

God I hope every game doesn't start copying FF. FF has sucked since it went 3D (with the notable exception of FFIX), and there are dozens upon dozens of JRPGs that I'd rather play than the other 3D FF games. FF is the most casual RPG in existence, and I'm including Pokemon in that. It lives on the idea that if it has pretty graphics it doesn't matter if everything else sucks, and that's what sells it. So, I'm sorry to hear that LO is copying Final Fantasy. I'll stick with good JRPGs thanks.

PS: Blue Dragon was a much better game than reviewers gave it credit for.

LOL. Way to pass an opinion of as a fact. The 3D Final Fantasy games have been great and brought a lot of new fans to the series which benefits everyone. If's the fault of gamers around the world that FF is on it's current pedestal as they constantly buying them and ignoring other JRPG's had resulted in FF being put on this pedestal. I would say that I've enjoyed the FF experience over the past 10yrs, some games more than others, but all within the level of expectation. I think it's more that die hard fans of other JRPG's can't stand that FF name is remembered while other 'better' JRPG's in their opinion get forgotten.

I mean, in the end, even though sales is not inductive of quality, it definitely influences what games are remembered and which games are not. The remembered games go on to get more publicity, more attention, thus resulting in more sales. Consumers only have themselves to blame for the fact that FF is on a pedestal in regards to JRPG gaming because they are the ones who put it there.

I bet you anything that FFXIII does not get a 7.5 gameplay even if the gameplay is horrible.

Hehe, that's pretty funny because about 10 years ago was when I stopped playing FF games (new ones at least). FF7 was the last FF game that I completed, in 1997...

I used to really like the FF series a lot and the SNES/SFC FF games are still some of my favorite rpgs of all time. I played the hell out of them back in the day, but the new ones don't do anything for me. FF8 I just stopped playing part way through, never got into FF9. Bought 10 with a gift card I had, but only played a couple of hours. Tried 12, but soon after stopped playing it...

Now I'd rather play the DQ games. When they release DQ9 is prolly when I'll buy a DS (hopefully they release a special DQ9 edition DS :) )

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Quick note: Gametrailers gave Lost Odyssey a 8.8. Not bad.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

thats more like it gametrailers. still not the 9+ I feel it deserves, but better.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849907p1.html

Got an 8.

It got a 7.5 for gameplay. The major markdown was that it doesn't innovate.

Having never played a JRPG im almost done with the first disc and so far think this is one of the best games ive ever played. So i guess its a matter of opinion. For seasoned JRPG gamers, do you want more of something great with a few tweaks (ring system, wall system) or something completely different.

As far as I could see they didn't specify which version they reviewed (Japanese or PAL), but despite giving it a 9 for graphics, the review claims there was some framerate issues and screen-tearing. Again, either they are reviewing the Japanese version (which was known to have FR issues), or they are talking about the 2,3 and/or 4th disk, because I simply have not faced one single screen-tearing or framerate issue in 9 hours of playing.

Gameplay

"It all works - despite AI and balancing issues - but the real problem isn't the gameplay itself, but the concepts behind. It's all been done before."

I cant speak to balancing issues having never played a JRPG, but as someone new to the genre I have to say this game is amazing. If you are looking for something new buy this game now it is excellent. But I guess if you are a seasoned JRPG gamer you have to decide if more of the same with a few differences is what you are after. Personally, I despise the fact that this game's mark has clearly come down because it didn't redefine the genre, but what can you do.

Well thats probably the reason why it impressed you ... Still , I cant say that I have an opinion about the game aslong as I didnt played it ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I'm so freaking sick of "It doesn't bring anything new to the table--point deduction."

Why change what isn't broken??? I love the gameplay of old school JRPG's and consider a turn based game a welcome relief to the button mashing action RPG's of today.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

It's a little hypocritical to pull the 'new' card anyway. Welcome to modern video games. (Can't wait for Sim City 5!)

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

elnino334 said:
The USA IGN

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849927p3.html

Closing Comments
Lost Odyssey proves that a turn-based RPG still has merit in modern gaming. While there is nothing in Lost Odyssey that will convert action-RPG fans, there is plenty to please those already singing in the choir. Lost Odyssey creates several memorable characters and a somber setting that should please those sick of JRPGs that seem made for 10-year-olds. There are quite a few things that go wrong -- from the bad stealth portion to performance issues -- but none of it kept me from enjoying the overall adventure. It may not be in the same class as Mass Effect, but for a system in desperate need for more quality RPGs, Lost Odyssey fits nicely into the 360 library.

Why would you put a stealth section in an RPG, it is madness!!! that ruined any chance of me ever liking the game (although I will never play it)