By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Games with Gold for August: Crackdown, Dead Rising 2 & DR2: Case Zero

walsufnir said:
SnakeEyez said:

I had PS+ for a month and only got online with Vita to download the games, and never logged back on. I was still able to play the games, not once being required to log back in. On the last day of membership, a little message appeared on screen while I was playing Gravity Rush that said something like "you have xx numbers of minutes left" and after the time, I got booted off the game. No online is required for PS+

At least one time you have to be online :) What happens if you adjust your clock in PS3? ;)

well yea to download the game DUH. Adjusting the clock won't work cuz it's not based on the time, you can say it's kinda like a countdown that is credited to your account.

Around the Network

Oh kick ass, can't wait to get Dead Rising 2, already own Crackdown but once (or if) it goes up I might finally be able to find people to co op with. Games for gold is turning out to be pretty slick.

I think they aren't giving away newer titles because people get to keep them forever. So, basically, you can get whatever game is "for free" right now for 5 bucks if you just sign up for only one month and never come back. I think Microsoft is still somewhat in the testing phase. Or maybe for some technical reasons, the Xbox 360 doesn't allow countdowns like the PS3 and we will see games on subscription basis with the Xbox One. After all, they announced that the free games offers are for now limited until the end of 2013, right?

Who knows, but in the end, it should be good for gamers. Those who have the choice will choose PS+ for the moment. But every Xbox only owner can be happy about some free games at no extra cost.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
I think they aren't giving away newer titles because people get to keep them forever. So, basically, you can get whatever game is "for free" right now for 5 bucks if you just sign up for only one month and never come back. 

I would still prefer renting a much newer game from PS plus then getting old games that you can keep forever. I mean I don't replay games after I've played them so that's why PS Plus seems like the much much better deal right now. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
OdinHades said:
I think they aren't giving away newer titles because people get to keep them forever. So, basically, you can get whatever game is "for free" right now for 5 bucks if you just sign up for only one month and never come back. 

I would still prefer renting a much newer game from PS plus then getting old games that you can keep forever. I mean I don't replay games after I've played them so that's why PS Plus seems like the much much better deal right now. 

It sure does, but only if you happen to own a PS3. And remember the start of PS Plus? We got shitty PS One games like G-Police and mediocre PSN Titles. No full titles whatsoever. It wasn't even worth mentioning. Cloud saves and automatic updates were the only reason for plus back then. Microsoft is at least starting with full games right out of the gate, you gotta give 'em that. Sure, at the moment, they don't look too good versus PS+. But that can change within months. 

In the end, I also think it isn't that much of a difference if you keep a game for good or only for the time of your subscription. After all, in the next gen we all need to be paying to play online, so most people will have a subscription anyway. But that's just me and I also understand if people prefer to hold onto their games. That way you're able to play the games even 10 years from now, I'm not so sure if that'll work with PS+.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Thanks for the heads up Ns. Finally something I haven't played already.

KylieDog said:
Crackdown has aged horribly, and it wasn't super great to begin with.

False and false.

Two great games. Of course some people had to chime in about PS+ lol

this is great news. I never played either game. Right on. I'm stoked.

Talal said:
walsufnir said:
sniper989 said:

but PS+ offers newer titles

Yes, but they are not giving them away for free and it is tied to your ps+-account. If you can't see the technical difference between these two solutions I can't help you.

The only difference I can think of is that the games go away when your subscription ends, which isn't very important since people would have:

1- already played the game

2- renew to play the game.

So what's the difference?

OT: interesting games this time IMO.

well you can pay for a month of gold just to DL games you want and then cancel it... with the backloog I have I know I won't play dead rising before 2014 if I want to finish the rest first....

so nope it's not the same but I really don't care since I just have an XB1 so what does Sony is completely irrelevant to me really...

OdinHades said:
Ajescent said:
Why must someone ALWAYS bring up ps+ when xblG free games topic are made? Seriously people, grow up!

Because you gotta admit Microsofts offer looks pretty damn poor in comparison. Yeah, maybe we shouldn't compare stuff, but it's in the nature of things. You always need some sort of reference. If not compared to something else, the graphics of PS2 games are pretty damn good! But in a time where there are PS3 and X360, they look poor. Sure, you can just ignore the offerings of competitors, but why should you? Those new offers are a direct answer to PS+ and until now, not a very good one. But you'll have to give Microsoft time, PS+ also started very poor. 

I got a short ban and I get the message. But seriously, what's the point in glorifying something that just isn't that great? The only positive I can see from Xbox Live games thus far is that you can keep them forever and that it's "better than nothing". But I don't see how it's enough to be worth praising. 

I can't deny I'm a little pro Sony, but I got them all. Check OdinHades Xbox Live Profile if you don't believe me. Wasn't online for some time due to lack of exclusive titles that I'm interested in, but I got that sucker standing here nonetheless. Play whatever console you like, but I think a little bit comparison talk has to be allowed. Every console has it's pros and its cons. But if somebody does something really good (PS+) it's worth praising if you ask me. Yes, also in Microsoft threads, especially if they are about Microsofts direct answer to PS+. But if the mods think different, ban me again. I won't complain, it's your forum, you make the rules. 

Dead Rising 2 is really good though, seriously. :P

??? I just checked the list of the PSN+ first couple months games... I don't really see how anyone can argue that the MS offering is better from the get go....

you can't compare a 3 year old service list with a 3 months one.... if you want to compare something take the first 3 months of both and so far I'd rather have gold than PSN+ in that regard.... in a year or 2 we'll be able to discuss the overall quality of each....