By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Muslim writes about Jesus - Is This The Most Embarrassing Interview Fox News Has Ever Done?

ultima said:
happydolphin said:

He got Mary from the greek term tou, by omission. I had bolded it for you you should have read it:

"Renowned Greek scholar A.T. Robertson points out that Luke employs the definite article toubefore each name, except Joseph’s.2 This seems to indicate that a better translation would be “Jesus being (as was supposed the son of Joseph) the son of Heli” with the understanding that Jesus was the grandson of Heli through Mary."

2) On top of that, I hope you understand that Joseph can't have two biological fathers.

I adressed that... I told you that every bible version that I looked at unanimously agreed that there wasn't such a notion present. Once again, Mary is not mentioned. At all.

2) Why not? After all, Jesus had no biological father at all. Perhaps he lent his right to a biological father to Joseph, so he could have two.

But no, all joking aside, I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Holy hell. Mary was not mentioned. All males, except Joseph, had the greek article Tou before each name. That's because Joseph was the Son in law.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
ultima said:

1. So tell us the, what is the value of "science" behind religious study? How is it inherently more important than, say, history?

Theology is the study of religion, creationism is the absurd idea that humans were intelligently designed by some creator. Don't insult theology by clumping theologists with creationists.

He has a point about creationist theory pseudoscience, and it's a point you encountered earlier in this thread. Creationist "scientists" go in with the agenda of backing up their biblical stories, then pick out scientific facts that they see as being consistent while ignored other facts that clearly show their theory to be at the very least fundamentally flawed.

@bold. Facepalm I didn't, your friend in skepticism Osc did. Regardless I respect creationists for what they do so I wouldn't care if they were considered to a comparable level of discipline each in their own field. But when someone is bundling the words pseudoscience when talking about religious studies, you know you have a boso on your hands.

@1. Religious studies makes use of history, for example, to explain ideas found in religious texts that may seem contradictory. Whether it has life implications to you or not doesn't change the fact that it is a very complex and in-depth multi-disciplinary study that really resembles detective work. It requires knowledge of linguistics, history, archaelogy, and many other disciplines in order to find answers to theological questions.

He used pseudoscience when referring to creationism, and that's a moniker that is completely justified. You, then, put creationists and theologists together, as if creationists do anything that is considered productive. I think most theologists would find that offensive; rightly so.

I didn't ask about the process or the difficulties of theological research. I had a vague idea of that already. I inquired about its value. What makes it so valuable as to warrant such explicit description?

happydolphin said:
ultima said:
happydolphin said:

He got Mary from the greek term tou, by omission. I had bolded it for you you should have read it:

"Renowned Greek scholar A.T. Robertson points out that Luke employs the definite article toubefore each name, except Joseph’s.2 This seems to indicate that a better translation would be “Jesus being (as was supposed the son of Joseph) the son of Heli” with the understanding that Jesus was the grandson of Heli through Mary."

2) On top of that, I hope you understand that Joseph can't have two biological fathers.

I adressed that... I told you that every bible version that I looked at unanimously agreed that there wasn't such a notion present. Once again, Mary is not mentioned. At all.

2) Why not? After all, Jesus had no biological father at all. Perhaps he lent his right to a biological father to Joseph, so he could have two.

But no, all joking aside, I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Holy hell. Mary was not mentioned. All males, except Joseph, had the greek article Tou before each name. That's because Joseph was the Son in law.

Holy hell. No such distinction is present in any of the versions I've seen. How do you explain that then, if your point is so clear that it's frustrating you? Did every single translator overlook this? Seems unlikely. Improbable. Dare I say, impossible?

happydolphin said:
Osc89 said:

I very much understand. You are arguing over a technicality, a 2000 year old fencepost error. And anyone can twist the phrasing to make the Bible wrong or right.

The issue here is the religious approach, the same thing that makes all creationist theory pseudoscience. If you go into the argument with an agenda, you will ignore everything that disagrees with your point of view.

No, you still don't understand. People study contexts and interpretation for a living, it's they job, it is their science. They analysis are not arbitrary, and they do comparative studies and linguistics analysis, as well as doctrinal analyses. Their results are not arbitrary and I can tell you that you still have no knowledge of the value of science behind religious studies.

That's because you're biased. I've seen it before, and when I read "The issue here is the religious approach, the same thing that makes all creationist theory pseudoscience.", I know I'm talking with someone who has no knowledge or contact with theology whatsoever.

My sister studied theology for more than 3 years she is now doing a masters, and she is a very smart girl, barely christian but she is smart. I can tell you that she puts in a LOT of work in what she does. That you bag it all up into one big lump with troll terms such as "creationist theory pseudoscience" goes to show that you truly know nothing about the topic at hand.

What? Theology is not the same as creationism or having a religious approach. Theology would objectively study these passages and compare theories on whether they are including Mary, if there is a dispute over the lineage or if there was a translation error (and many other theories I imagine). It is a science, and is neutral in approach.

However you are denying and ignoring anything that would suggest the Bible is wrong. You said very early on in this thread how you believe the Bible does not contradict itself, which is something a theologian would not. They would acknowledge and study the reasons for the contradictions. You deny them.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

ultima said:
happydolphin said:

@bold. Facepalm I didn't, your friend in skepticism Osc did. Regardless I respect creationists for what they do so I wouldn't care if they were considered to a comparable level of discipline each in their own field. But when someone is bundling the words pseudoscience when talking about religious studies, you know you have a boso on your hands.

@1. Religious studies makes use of history, for example, to explain ideas found in religious texts that may seem contradictory. Whether it has life implications to you or not doesn't change the fact that it is a very complex and in-depth multi-disciplinary study that really resembles detective work. It requires knowledge of linguistics, history, archaelogy, and many other disciplines in order to find answers to theological questions.

1. He used pseudoscience when referring to creationism, and that's a moniker that is completely justified. You, then, put creationists and theologists together, as if creationists do anything that is considered productive. I think most theologists would find that offensive; rightly so.

2. I didn't ask about the process or the difficulties of theological research. I had a vague idea of that already. I inquired about its value. What makes it so valuable as to warrant such explicit description?

2. Read bold. Read my posts. Please.

1. I am going to curse to the seven hells here you are driving me insane. HIS WORDS -> "The issue here is the religious approach, the same thing that makes all creationist theory pseudoscience." in reference to theology, in this post.

Around the Network
ultima said:

Holy hell. No such distinction is present in any of the versions I've seen. How do you explain that then, if your point is so clear that it's frustrating you? Did every single translator overlook this? Seems unlikely. Improbable. Dare I say, impossible?

Let's get this straight. The versions you read omitted Mary, am I right? They don't mention Mary?

happydolphin said:
ultima said:
happydolphin said:

1. He used pseudoscience when referring to creationism, and that's a moniker that is completely justified. You, then, put creationists and theologists together, as if creationists do anything that is considered productive. I think most theologists would find that offensive; rightly so.

2. I didn't ask about the process or the difficulties of theological research. I had a vague idea of that already. I inquired about its value. What makes it so valuable as to warrant such explicit description?

2. Read bold. Read my posts. Please.

1. I am going to curse to the seven hells here you are driving me insane. HIS WORDS -> "The issue here is the religious approach, the same thing that makes all creationist theory pseudoscience." in reference to theology, in this post.

2. I did. So you're telling me complexity equals value? Because there's no other way this could answer my question about its value.

1. How is that post referencing theology??? It's referencing creationism!!! Creationism is not theology. Creationism is not science. Creationism is an absurd theory about the origin of the world. You're driving me insane. You keep repeating the same damn things over and over, ignoring my words. Jesus...

happydolphin said:
ultima said:

Let's get this straight. The versions you read omitted Mary, am I right? They don't mention Mary?

Yes. I stated that a couple of times. No mention of Mary anywhere in that chapter, in fact.

Osc89 said:

What? Theology is not the same as creationism or having a religious approach. Theology would objectively study these passages and compare theories on whether they are including Mary, if there is a dispute over the lineage or if there was a translation error (and many other theories I imagine). It is a science, and is neutral in approach.

However you are denying and ignoring anything that would suggest the Bible is wrong. You said very early on in this thread how you believe the Bible does not contradict itself, which is something a theologian would not. They would acknowledge and study the reasons for the contradictions. You deny them.

Oh my god. I would never deny that there are things that appear as contradictory. But so far, in every case, I have found a sound explanation to them, making them no longer True contradictions.

@Theology. Then we agree, and your original post was just trolling.

ultima said:
happydolphin said:
ultima said:

Yes. I stated that a couple of times. No mention of Mary anywhere in that chapter, in fact.

Good, because that's also what I understood you to say. I then went on to say that the text (of Mary's lineage) makes use of the greek article Tou, which is used for all males but joseph. I never said the passage stated mary, but that by omitting the article Tou for Joseph, it made it clear that they were refering to Joseph as the Son in Law.

Get it now? *sobs*