By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which 8th gen home console will sell the most in 2014?

which will sell the most in 2014?

Wii U 356 33.87%

Playstation 4 608 57.85%

Xbox One 85 8.09%

Total:1,049

Surprised by the wii u votes

Around the Network

Never underestimate Nintendo. ESPECIALLY when they're about to release a new Zelda, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. in the same year. 

The way the media and internet are responding, its definitely the PS4. Based on hype that is pretty much the console to beat and it hasnt even come out yet.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
The way the media and internet are responding, its definitely the PS4. Based on hype that is pretty much the console to beat and it hasnt even come out yet.

i didnt ask what media and internet think lol im asking what u think

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I voted Wii U just because I think Xbone and PS4 will struggle in the first half of 2014 as some of their BIG games get inevitably pushed back to the 2nd half of the year, whereas Nintendo's single biggest hitter (Mario Kart) is set to arrive in the spring (possibly along with a price cut if Nintendo's holiday doesn't go as well as they're hoping). Also, I think for the first year or two, Xbone and PS4 will struggle against 360 and PS3 because a lot of the games will also be coming to those older, cheaper systems still.

Plus, I think Nintendo WILL gain at least SOME solid momentum through this holiday with Zelda, DK, 3D Mario, Wii Fit and then so far they easily have the strongest lineup of proven exclusives coming in 2014 (Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Bayonetta, Monolith Soft's X, Yarn Yoshi, SMT X Fire Emblem) and they'll inevitably add some more to that list (possibly the next Zelda or a Wii Sports sequel or something)...so they should be able to avoid any major droughts, which should help with sales consistency.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network

PS4 should just edge out the Wii U.

PS4- 10 million
Wii U- 9.5 million
Xbox One- 7 million

But if Nintendo play smart with Wii U, give a price cut and ensure it gets 3rd party parity with the other 2 systems it should do better than PS4 but it's hard to say. Announcements at Gamescom and TGS could make it a bit easier to predict

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well it's true, but PsVita also had a very good feedback from the internet and the media. Now, I'm sure the ps4 will do very well but I don't think hype is the most accurate indicator.

Conegamer said:

The safe money is on the Wii U. As predicted, a lot of the big buzz has died down now for the new systems, and flaws in the systems and holes in their libraries are showing themselves. Pretty much every single system has a pretty poor first year, and with 2 new systems lining up head to head, and fighting 3 other, cheaper systems, it may easily take a lot to make people upgrade.

Meanwhile, the Wii U will likely have a price cut alongside Mario Kart next year. Coming off of Zelda/DK/Mario this year, and with 2 games which are far bigger than any exclusive on any other system known for the first half of next year, you can see the momentum being with the U.

So here are my predictions:

Wii U: 10.6mil
PS4: 7.5mil
Xbone: 6.9mil

But what I really want to know is why, although most here are saying the U, that the PS4 has a big lead in the poll. Clearly people are coming in and voting for their system of choice as opposed to thinking about it logically, and as such are choosing not to post. Fair enough.

I think your wii u numbers are too low.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

If that meant anything, vita would be king right now.

For 2014 I think it may be close call between Ps4 and WiiU.
The Ps4 is much more competitive and in the long run it will beat the WiiU for sure, but still the first year may be its weakest year. I say this because I don't see any exclusive killer app coming on it in the next months and most ps4 multiplatform titles will also be avaliable on ps360, also some people may be still undecided whether to buy the Ps4 or the Xbox One, plus GTAV is very good incentive to convince people staying on ps360 a little longer.
The WiiU on the other hand has a lot of potential exclusive killer apps coming, strating form Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong, to the most important Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. Also Nintendo may cut the price in the coming months or release a more appealing bundle.
At last I don't think Xbone will come out as winner next year, it will suffer the same problems I've noted for Ps4, also the higher price tag and the negative feedback due to used game policies will hurt it a bit at the beginning. On the plus side it has a more appealing lineup so far (compared to ps4), but in the end I think ps4 will still beat it.