By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which 8th gen home console will sell the most in 2014?

which will sell the most in 2014?

Wii U 356 33.87%

Playstation 4 608 57.85%

Xbox One 85 8.09%

Total:1,049
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:

Looking at next year these are the "big" games, this is seperating the men from the boys, these are the games likely top 2.5 million in shipments worldwide on "next gen" platforms:

Destiny, Call of Duty Next Gen, Mario Kart 8, Titanfall, Madden NFL Next-Gen, Super Smash Bros. U, Battlefield 5, FIFA Next-Gen, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V.

That list IMO skews much more heavily towards the XB1/PS4 in terms of potential audience for the "biggest" games and we really don't know what Sony/MS have in store for 2014 so much (Uncharted 4? Gears?).

You keep bringing up these PS4/XO titles, I keep asking how many of those are exclusive and confirmed to be released next year, you keep ignoring me. D:

Nintendo will have more for next year also. I fully expect Zelda U to be a holiday title, and we might get stuff like Wii U Sports and Mario Party 10.

They don't have to be exclusive, the XB1/PS4 have the bonus of having the best versions of these games. Call of Duty wasn't exclusive to XBox 360, but it sold a bazillion XBoxes.

The problem with Nintendo is I think at some point their franchises hit a saturation where they lose selling power. For instance the person buying Mario 3D World likely is a fan of Mario Kart too. And the Mario Kart fan is probably a fan of Smash Brothers. There's a lot of overlap between Nintendo's biggest franchises which mitigates their sales power. 

Nintendo needs something new to break out and sell to audiences that aren't willing to buy a console just for the same 4-5 franchises.

Sony/MS don't have this problem because they basically tailor their platforms to the wide development community. So one person can buy a XB1, maybe they don't give a crap about Call of Duty or Halo at all. Maybe they like FIFA and on the side a little Final Fantasy. This tends not to be the case with Nintendo consoles.

You really have to not be able to live without Mario games or Nintendo has to have a new Wii Sports like phenomenon to bring in other people. Otherwise the audience for say Smash Bros. U and Mario Kart 8 and Mario Party 10 and Yoshi's Yarn is probably a lot of the same people.

From a marketing/demographic perspective too I think the Wii U is pretty much a disaster. They somehow managed to make a console that doesn't satisfy hardcore players and doesn't interest casual players either. So I think just on that basis, Nintendo can throw all their franchises at this platform that they want, to me it's just conceptually flawed to begin with and isn't going to find success with a wide audience.

This doesn't seem to be the case going by their previous systems and how every significant Nintendo release boosts hardware sales no matter how successful that console is overall. This I believe is because people (non-forumers) aren't really fans of the companys but are fans of the games themselves. I bet if Microsoft was making SM3DW, it would sell the same as it would otherwise. And of course there's overlap! Very few buy a console solely for one game. We're already seeing prood of that with NSMBU. And of course the Wii U isn't satisfying anyone right now! It's current library is just atrocious! Practically nothing for Casuals, and hardcores already have a majority of the Wii Us library on other systems. This will be rectified by next year though. X/Smash/Bayo 2/etc. for hardcores, Wii Fit/Mario & Sonic/Wii Party/etc. for casuals, and Mario Kart/Yoshi/DKC/etc. for everyones. I'll definitely be getting a Wii U by the end of next year! ^_^

The Wii U is a console designed I think in large part under the assumption (on Nintendo's part) that the casual/blue ocean audience would come back to some large degree, all they had to do was show off the new controller with Nintendo Land.

But I think that audience has abandoned Nintendo and that's sorta left them stuck with this console that they designed for an audience that doesn't want it.

I don't think casuals want a console, they like gaming, but in bite sized bits and don't have a huge apetite for it. Smartphones/tablets scratch their gaming itch just fine for $1 a pop or free, a $300 console with $60 games is way overkill for them.

Like Nintendogs, Brain Training, Guitar Hero, I think Wii Sports/Fit's time has passed. Just Dance will probably see a large decline this year too. These things come and go. The blue ocean audience is not like the core audience; they like something for a while but then move on to the next thing.

Around the Network

Wii U with price cut.. PS4 without it..

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

PS4.

I'll say the ps4, but actions after launch change everything.

Soundwave said:

stuffs

Alright, I can see we're not going to get anywhere as you keep leapfrogging from one thing to the next in an attempt to try and avoid my original question. Let's just end the shenanigans and put our money where our mouths are! I'm willing to bet that the Wii U will be the highest selling 8th gen home console WW in 2014. Winner get's 1 month avatar control plus 1 year of their victory in loser's signature. Are you man enough for it!?

Around the Network

Here's my guess for 2014: I voted PS4

wiiU = 6 million
PS4 = 8 million
XBone = 7 million

Why?

wiiU = Games will no longer help, the massive casual audience sees no reason to buy the wiiU, they already have an ipad or kindle and don't get the reason to get a wiiU. 6 million may be too strong of an estimate.

PS4 = I don't think the PS4 will lead in the long term, but in the short term they have a price advantage and they will probably ship more units globally than M$ plans to or can. Sony is winning 2014 by default rather than great planning.

XBone = Likely will have a limited amount of units shipped in 2014, and the limited launch globally. Small launch + high price = somewhat poor sales. The one thing that M$ can do is create bundles and take a loss if they feel they are falling behind too far sales wise. We have seen it in the past how they work with resellers to give them kickbacks to include a fee controller or charge kit. Or they can bundle Live for free the first year. But the other option that i have read somewhere is how M$ plans to subsidize the price of the XBone to buyers who sign up for multiple years of Live. They did it with the 360 and i think this is how they plan to compete with the PS4 on price.

landguy1 said:

wiiU = 6 million
PS4 = 8 million
XBone = 7 million

Why?

wiiU = Games will no longer help, the massive casual audience sees no reason to buy the wiiU, they already have an ipad or kindle and don't get the reason to get a wiiU. 6 million may be too strong of an estimate.

PS4 = I don't think the PS4 will lead in the long term, but in the short term they have a price advantage and they will probably ship more units globally than M$ plans to or can. Sony is winning 2014 by default rather than great planning.

XBone = Likely will have a limited amount of units shipped in 2014, and the limited launch globally. Small launch + high price = somewhat poor sales. The one thing that M$ can do is create bundles and take a loss if they feel they are falling behind too far sales wise. We have seen it in the past how they work with resellers to give them kickbacks to include a fee controller or charge kit. Or they can bundle Live for free the first year. But the other option that i have read somewhere is how M$ plans to subsidize the price of the XBone to buyers who sign up for multiple years of Live. They did it with the 360 and i think this is how they plan to compete with the PS4 on price.

Games won't help a console sell? What?

errorpwns said:
landguy1 said:

wiiU = 6 million
PS4 = 8 million
XBone = 7 million

Why?

I assume you mean the wiiU.  Games can't fix the problem for this system.  The wiiU will continue to sell slowly, as the core gamers and the few impulse buyers pick them up.  But, the majority of the casual market has moved on to tablets and smartphones.  I know that the majority of people who post on this site have strong connections to mario or zelda.  The problem is that most of the rest of the world doesn't care about those gaems anymore.  Those games sold well on the wii because of the large install base had to buy something due to the lack of 3rd party support.  I just don't believe that the majority of cauals are going to go out of their way to get a wiiU to play mario cart or zelda.  Had the wiiU brought the next gen graphics and matched the power of the PS4/XBone, i think people could say that they would buy it to play mario and COD.

WiiU is already irrelevant and the next gen consoles aren't even out yet. So good luck with that

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

landguy1 said:
errorpwns said:
landguy1 said:

wiiU = 6 million
PS4 = 8 million
XBone = 7 million

Why?

I assume you mean the wiiU.  Games can't fix the problem for this system.  The wiiU will continue to sell slowly, as the core gamers and the few impulse buyers pick them up.  But, the majority of the casual market has moved on to tablets and smartphones.  I know that the majority of people who post on this site have strong connections to mario or zelda.  The problem is that most of the rest of the world doesn't care about those gaems anymore.  Those games sold well on the wii because of the large install base had to buy something due to the lack of 3rd party support.  I just don't believe that the majority of cauals are going to go out of their way to get a wiiU to play mario cart or zelda.  Had the wiiU brought the next gen graphics and matched the power of the PS4/XBone, i think people could say that they would buy it to play mario and COD.

Most likely you're nothing but a stealth troll. But if you're not you're in real need of a reality check, couse your post is nothing more than pure bullshit.