By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which 8th gen home console will sell the most in 2014?

which will sell the most in 2014?

Wii U 356 33.87%

Playstation 4 608 57.85%

Xbox One 85 8.09%

Total:1,049
PDF said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
PDF said:
People thinking that the WiiU will be on top in 2014 must be really pessimistic about the future of the videogame industry.

How'd you come to that conclusion?

Looking at how poorly the WiiU is selling right now and even if it managed to double or tripple its weekly sales it would still be doing terrible.  If people think that the WiiU will be ontop in 2014 they must be predicting absolutely atrocious sales for the PS4 and XB1 in 2014.  That would be terrible for the industry if true.

You hit it right on the head, the wiiU will sell better with more games available next year.  The real problem is 2 or 3 X crap is still crap.  I think that it is more likely that the wiiU sells into the 3-4 million range next year than 7 million +. 

Around the Network
PDF said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
PDF said:
People thinking that the WiiU will be on top in 2014 must be really pessimistic about the future of the videogame industry.

Looking at how poorly the WiiU is selling right now and even if it managed to double or tripple its weekly sales it would still be doing terrible.  If people think that the WiiU will be ontop in 2014 they must be predicting absolutely atrocious sales for the PS4 and XB1 in 2014.  That would be terrible for the industry if true.

Many of us can take pride in knowing that we are more informed when it comes to video games and the trends of the market compared to, say, your typical generic news site that only forms conclusions based on what is right in front of them.  This is why so many analysts (Pachter included, iirc) declared that Nintendo would be lucky to have 15% of the market for the 7th gen back when the Gamecube was out.

Just looking at the WiiU's current sales it may be logical to assume that the console is going to fail, but what about what tomorrow could bring?  Nintendo often surprises when their back is against the wall, and of course they are quite aware of how the console is currently tanking, so we can assume that they are (hopefully) taking measures to rectify this.  The games industry is their livelihood after all.  If we indeed believe that they could right the ship then that doesn't necessarily mean a bad performance from Sony or Microsoft, just a better performance in 2014 from the console with the biggest selling IPs and the lowest price.

However, I do think that people may be a bit surprised as to how the PS4/XB1 are going to fare during most of 2014.  They will still have relatively small libraries, most of the games coming to them will be available for three additional platforms (PS3, 360, PC), none of the exclusives announced so far are big name system sellers, and they will both be at their premium price tags during this time.  I have no doubt that hardcore Sony and Microsoft fans will jump in just as they did early on for their 7th gen consoles, but the biggest numbers for the PS360 came much later when the prices were cheaper and the libraries more robust.

WiiU could continue to struggle in 2014, but there is a definite possibility that the opposite could prove true.  I certainly do think there is a very good chance that it will do more than the 7m you predicted previously.

archbrix said:
PDF said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
PDF said:

Many of us can take pride in knowing that we are more informed when it comes to video games and the trends of the market compared to, say, your typical generic news site that only forms conclusions based on what is right in front of them.  This is why so many analysts (Pachter included, iirc) declared that Nintendo would be lucky to have 15% of the market for the 7th gen back when the Gamecube was out.

Just looking at the WiiU's current sales it may be logical to assume that the console is going to fail, but what about what tomorrow could bring?  Nintendo often surprises when their back is against the wall, and of course they are quite aware of how the console is currently tanking, so we can assume that they are (hopefully) taking measures to rectify this.  The games industry is their livelihood after all.  If we indeed believe that they could right the ship then that doesn't necessarily mean a bad performance from Sony or Microsoft, just a better performance in 2014 from the console with the biggest selling IPs and the lowest price.

However, I do think that people may be a bit surprised as to how the PS4/XB1 are going to fare during most of 2014.  They will still have relatively small libraries, most of the games coming to them will be available for three additional platforms (PS3, 360, PC), none of the exclusives announced so far are big name system sellers, and they will both be at their premium price tags during this time.  I have no doubt that hardcore Sony and Microsoft fans will jump in just as they did early on for their 7th gen consoles, but the biggest numbers for the PS360 came much later when the prices were cheaper and the libraries more robust.

WiiU could continue to struggle in 2014, but there is a definite possibility that the opposite could prove true.  I certainly do think there is a very good chance that it will do more than the 7m you predicted previously.

I think PS3/360 adoption was held up also by the fact that a lot of households didn't have HDTVs yet in 2005/06. But now pretty much have home has multiple HDTV sets, so that's one bottleneck the PS4/XB1 don't have to worry about a much.

Miguel_Zorro said:

The PS4 will sell more than the XBox One and the Wii U combined in 2014.

Nope.

Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:
More stuffs

If you really believe all that you're saying then how bout that bet?

What's the bet?

Yeah right, you totally read my post! It's been there for a while, you've been online everyday since I made it, and it's only 9 post behind your next post. Plus it should be obvious what the bet is about just looking at thread topic. But eh, w/e! Bet is I say Wii U will be highest selling 8th gen home console in 2014. I win if it is, you win if it isn't. Winner get's 1 month avatar control and 1 year of their victory in loser's signature. Do you choose to accept it!?

Around the Network
PDF said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
PDF said:

Or they could just predict that while the PS4/XO will do alright, the Wii U will simply do better. I'm personally thinking 8m-10m for Wii U, 6m-8m for PS4/XO. I don't think those are atrocious numbers considering it's their first year.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:
More stuffs

What's the bet?

Yeah right, you totally read my post! It's been there for a while, you've been online everyday since I made it, and it's only 9 post behind your next post. Plus it should be obvious what the bet is about just looking at thread topic. But eh, w/e! Bet is I say Wii U will be highest selling 8th gen home console in 2014. I win if it is, you win if it isn't. Winner get's 1 month avatar control and 1 year of their victory in loser's signature. Do you choose to accept it!?

Sure, lol. You should probably know I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost though so a Mario avatar or something would be just great by me. I just don't buy they have a great ability in to sell console hardware though.

Since 1997, of about 15 years, Nintendo's only been the "console leader" for about 4 years of 15, and that was at the height of the Wii Sports/Fit crazes, which I don't think Nintendo can replicate.

Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Soundwave said:
More stuffs

What's the bet?

Sure, lol. You should probably know I'm a Nintendo fan first and foremost though so a Mario avatar or something would be just great by me. I just don't buy they have a great ability in to sell console hardware though.

Since 1997, of about 15 years, Nintendo's only been the "console leader" for about 4 years of 15, and that was at the height of the Wii Sports/Fit crazes, which I don't think Nintendo can replicate.

Alright, it's on! >:D

PDF said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
PDF said:

Or they could just predict that while the PS4/XO will do alright, the Wii U will simply do better. I'm personally thinking 8m-10m for Wii U, 6m-8m for PS4/XO. I don't think those are atrocious numbers considering it's their first year.

Telling me that the WiiU sales will explode to 8-10m is a hard pill to swallow for a console doing 30k a week.  Do you really think next year the WiiU will be pulling at least 120k a week?   I am sure you probably think games and a pricecut can bring things numbers for WiiU but it just does't seem likely to increase demand so drastically.   If the WiiU manages to be on top in 2014 it would be much more likely due to the terrible sales of the PS4 and XB1. 

You don't have to believe it or swallow it. It's just a prediction!

PDF said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

You don't have to believe it or swallow it. It's just a prediction!

Your right I don't have to beleive it, and I don't.  Generally though people make predictions and try to get people to buy into their prediction through good argument.  If a prediction looks far fetch'd or silly then it should be called out as a bad.   Afterall we are on a vg sales site debating sales predictions is kind of what we do.

Well you're late to the party as I've already been doing that for the entirety of this thread. I'd rather move on to something else now. You can go ahead and call my prediction bad if you want, but you'll only look really silly if it comes true!