By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would You Rather Talk To Your TV Or Press A Button?

Which do you prefer?

Press a button 283 86.54%

Say a phrase 44 13.46%

Total:327
KingdomHeartsFan said:
endimion said:
lol so people actually like the less convenient way... I bet you people probably would have been the same guys saying, DVD is a gimmick you prefer VHS, or GUI is a gimmick you prefer command lines, etc etc.... preferring a button than a handsfree feature makes absolutely no sense, it's like saying I would rather walk 3 miles than be teleported to that 3 miles away destination.... you guys make no sense at all

I'm guessing you didn't even read the OP.  Also on top of those points imagine your playing a game and someone walks in and says "Turn the xbox off."  All the xbox will hear is xbox off and shut off.  Also comparing VHS and DVD to pushing a button and saying a phrase makes no sense and holds no merit.  

you can't XBox Kinect 2 actually identifies each person and only when you talk to it and are the one playing talking (when you play) will it execute the command

yes it does it is convenience.... they could easily have improved VHS quality and density.....

so you are telling me you would rather have to use 3 remote like in my case to just turn on the thing when you could just say it to turn it all on HDMI 1.4 with a few words???? you would rather have to navigate a bunch of menus when you can ask it to go there directly???? you would rather have to shuffle through hundreds of channels (because yeah I'm to lazy to memories every freaking TV chanel number) when you can go straight there????

anyway it's pointless to talk to dinausors of the 21st century..... they'll be stuck up in their old ways like my grand ma was last century.... too bad for them... I guess as long as you guys are ahhpy in your buble and me in mine everybody is happy

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
smroadkill15 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
endimion said:
lol so people actually like the less convenient way... I bet you people probably would have been the same guys saying, DVD is a gimmick you prefer VHS, or GUI is a gimmick you prefer command lines, etc etc.... preferring a button than a handsfree feature makes absolutely no sense, it's like saying I would rather walk 3 miles than be teleported to that 3 miles away destination.... you guys make no sense at all

I'm guessing you didn't even read the OP.  Also on top of those points imagine your playing a game and someone walks in and says "Turn the xbox off."  All the xbox will hear is xbox off and shut off.  Also comparing VHS and DVD to pushing a button and saying a phrase makes no sense and holds no merit.  

That's why kinect recognizes individual voices so that mistake doesn't happen. 

Source?  Also not only does it have to be able to recognize individual voices, but you have to be able to program it to only listen to you and lets assume it can, Ill believe it when I see it.  Me and my dad sounds very similar and I doubt it will be able to tell us apart.

Kinect for the 360 now can already detect individual voices so will Kinect 2.0, but at much greater precision.

You want to know how it wont make a mistake? If you haven't forgotten a camera is also watching your lips, facial expression, and heart rate so it will be able to see who in the room is talking. Pretty obvious if you think about it. 

voice control or hand motion control will be nice for people who keep losing their remote control

KingdomHeartsFan said:

So its pretty obvious at this point Microsoft really wants you to talk to your TV.  As weird as this sounds its true, they have shown the voice recognition feature of the kinect as one of its biggest selling features.  I think that feature is the most prevalent feature of the kinect actually used in games.  On top of that they are not including a mic with the X1 and instead want you to talk through your kinect.  Personally I like my privacy, I don't want my family hearing my conversation because I have to talk louder through the kinect.  I already know people are gonna say I won't have to, think about it, if I'm sitting on my couch and my kinect and all the way across the room it will not be able to pick up my voice if I talk in a regular tone and especially with the sounds from the TV droning out my voice.  I think it is easier to simply press a button than say a phrase for my xbox to do an action.  What would you guys rather do?

Your TV won't drown out your voice.  Kinect 2 will isolate the voice of the person speaking.  You can be in a room full of noise and if you're logged into the console, Kinect will isolate on you. 

Whether Kinect 1 with the Xbox 360 will be updated so it has this feature or not, I don't know, but I don't think this requires special hardware just updated software. 

http://youtu.be/bydLSVVuaRM?t=3m57s

Queued up for you. 

button ....

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Around the Network
endimion said:

I would actually prefer to walk over an exact replica of me being made 3 miles away while I am scattered to the winds as atoms.

smroadkill15 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
smroadkill15 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
endimion said:

That's why kinect recognizes individual voices so that mistake doesn't happen. 

Source?  Also not only does it have to be able to recognize individual voices, but you have to be able to program it to only listen to you and lets assume it can, Ill believe it when I see it.  Me and my dad sounds very similar and I doubt it will be able to tell us apart.

Kinect for the 360 now can already detect individual voices so will Kinect 2.0, but at much greater precision.

You want to know how it wont make a mistake? If you haven't forgotten a camera is also watching your lips, facial expression, and heart rate so it will be able to see who in the room is talking. Pretty obvious if you think about it. 

I don't ever recall Microsoft saying all those features will work in unison, and I highly doubt they will be able to.  For it to be able to listen to what you are saying, look through the camera at who is saying it(to make sure your voice matches with your face) and match up the words being spoken with your lips moving(incase there is more than one person talking at a time), I think it way too much for it to be able to handle.  If you have a source from Microsoft saying all those features will work in union then I will take that back.

One thing I would add is pushing a button is not any faster than swapping out a disc yet swapping out a disc was seen as such a horrible thing to do this gen.

Buttons, yo!

endimion said:

The same way that tech isn't there to provide teleportation, the tech just isn't there to make it so voice control is actually more convenient and reliable than pressing a button. In due time, sure, but as of now, hell no!