By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Would You Rather Talk To Your TV Or Press A Button?

Which do you prefer?

Press a button 283 86.54%

Say a phrase 44 13.46%

Total:327
endimion said:
lol so people actually like the less convenient way... I bet you people probably would have been the same guys saying, DVD is a gimmick you prefer VHS, or GUI is a gimmick you prefer command lines, etc etc.... preferring a button than a handsfree feature makes absolutely no sense, it's like saying I would rather walk 3 miles than be teleported to that 3 miles away destination.... you guys make no sense at all

I would always prefer to walk. Convience is not always better you know. It's just allowed us to be lazier and far more unhealthy. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
endimion said:
lol so people actually like the less convenient way... I bet you people probably would have been the same guys saying, DVD is a gimmick you prefer VHS, or GUI is a gimmick you prefer command lines, etc etc.... preferring a button than a handsfree feature makes absolutely no sense, it's like saying I would rather walk 3 miles than be teleported to that 3 miles away destination.... you guys make no sense at all

I agree with you, but can't blame people completely. We get use to doing things a certain way we usually don't like to change, even if how we normally do it is slower and harder than the new way. As of right now, button presses are just something we're so use to that people don't think there is any need to change, give it sometime for people to adjust. 

Depends on what I want to do really. For example, say I'm on my console watching a movie, and I wanna start up a game. If my options are (on Xbox) hit the guide button, push Y to get to the dashboard, then browse my collection to get to the correct game, then push A to launch.......or just say "Xbox launch _____"

I'll go with that

button for the same reason i don't use siri or voice controls on a pc or enjoy voice commands in a game.

voice control is slow, too frequently misinterprets phrases, and is rude to others in the room.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
endimion said:

I'm guessing you didn't even read the OP.  Also on top of those points imagine your playing a game and someone walks in and says "Turn the xbox off."  All the xbox will hear is xbox off and shut off.  Also comparing VHS and DVD to pushing a button and saying a phrase makes no sense and holds no merit.  

That's why kinect recognizes individual voices so that mistake doesn't happen. 

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Depends on what I want to do really. For example, say I'm on my console watching a movie, and I wanna start up a game. If my options are (on Xbox) hit the guide button, push Y to get to the dashboard, then browse my collection to get to the correct game, then push A to launch.......or just say "Xbox launch _____"

I'll go with that

Exactly. Obviously there will be circumstances that pressing a button will be faster and easier, but not for all things. 

Press a button. It's the same with my iphone and siri. It's amusing for a bit, but then just seems easier to just navigate the touchcreen.

smroadkill15 said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
endimion said:

I'm guessing you didn't even read the OP.  Also on top of those points imagine your playing a game and someone walks in and says "Turn the xbox off."  All the xbox will hear is xbox off and shut off.  Also comparing VHS and DVD to pushing a button and saying a phrase makes no sense and holds no merit.  

That's why kinect recognizes individual voices so that mistake doesn't happen. 

Source?  Also not only does it have to be able to recognize individual voices, but you have to be able to program it to only listen to you and lets assume it can, Ill believe it when I see it.  Me and my dad sounds very similar and I doubt it will be able to tell us apart.

Press a button. I never use voice recognition on any of my devices. It's just awkward and unnecessary.

endimion said:

how is pressing a button less convenient way?

you got evidence to suggest this? I bet saying XBOX i want to watch TV takes more effort than pressing buttons.