By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Will the Xbone be Microsofts last console?

sales2099 said:
the2real4mafol said:
sales2099 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Depends on how much the Xbox One sells in the end

You mean profits

No i mean sales. You can't profit without many sales and without that you won't get many games on the system, so sales are more important as they drive profits.

Except history from this very gen says otherwise. If sales mattered more then profit, MS wouldn't have been coasting on 2008 NA prices. By contrast, Sony went through $150 in price cuts since 2009 and not one but 2 slim redesigns. It is truly baffling how many missed opportunities MS missed with price cuts in the last 2-3 years.

MS profited and coasted on steady sales for almost 5, count 5 years.

They still have yet to break even with their total XBox losses from the original xbox and early 360 years...

Around the Network

It's becoming nearly impossible to participate in this site these days with topics like this...

sales2099 said:
"360 lucky to sqeeze by Wii for 2nd"

You do realize that profit and marketshare mean far more to companies then total sales mean to us right?

If total sales mattered then MS could have easily dropped their 2008 prices to remain on top. 360 gained tremendously compared to its predecessor and is in full profit mode.

If X1 makes a profit and only sells 40 million lifetime, that alone is reason enough to make another Xbox successor.

Funny you mention profit and market share mean more when talking about a Microsoft home console.  First xbox was in the red the entire time.  The 360 had massive losses in the first few years due to selling it at a loss.  360 only started making profit a few years ago.  I don't even know if they are completely in the black with the 360 over its entire life cycle.  Microsoft as a whole is probably still in the red for the entire xbox division since the first xbox launch.

I know Microsoft is making money now off the 360 (and has been doing for last few years) but are you sure they made a profit from 360 since its launch?  They took some massive losses in the first few years of the 360.

Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
the2real4mafol said:

No i mean sales. You can't profit without many sales and without that you won't get many games on the system, so sales are more important as they drive profits.

Except history from this very gen says otherwise. If sales mattered more then profit, MS wouldn't have been coasting on 2008 NA prices. By contrast, Sony went through $150 in price cuts since 2009 and not one but 2 slim redesigns. It is truly baffling how many missed opportunities MS missed with price cuts in the last 2-3 years.

They still have yet to break even with their total XBox losses from the original xbox and early 360 years...

Total Xbox losses? Thought we were just referring to this gen as an example that profit means sustainability.Why don't we just throw in that PS3 burned through all PS2 profits and it is likely PS3 itself will never break even? EDIT: Yet still we see a PS4 coming out. So in essense this thread is just wrong.

Oh and 360 in itself is in full profit.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:
the2real4mafol said:

Total Xbox losses? Thought we were just referring to this gen as an example that profit means sustainability.Why don't we just throw in that PS3 burned through all PS2 profits and it is likely PS3 itself will never break even? EDIT: Yet still we see a PS4 coming out. So in essense this thread is just wrong.

Because obviously if the PS4 does well (It is looking like it will do more than ok), it shows the PS3 was a mistake after 2 generations of utter platform dominace followed by another great gen.  Playstation made a blunder, but overall proves it is still a market leader.

If the Xbox One bombs than it shows that two out of three Xbox generations were failures and the 360 only made a slight profit.  The Xbox division got lucky once and it is time to stop.

All I am saying is that if the Xbox One does terribly, the Xbox division has an awful track record with no signs of success.  That is not disputable (By people who live in reality).

Around the Network

No! I doutb they will lose a crap load of money on the X1.

Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

If the Xbox One bombs than it shows that two out of three Xbox generations were failures and the 360 only made a slight profit.  The Xbox division got lucky once and it is time to stop.

All I am saying is that if the Xbox One does terribly, the Xbox division has an awful track record with no signs of success.  That is not disputable (By people who live in reality).

Wouldn't call either Xbox generation a failure. Xbox did outsell Gamecube. But then again it didn't profit. 360 is almost at 80 million and in full profit. Would hardly call that a failure....seriously I can't imagine what you must be thinking to come up with that conclusion. 360 is now in full profit, and yet it has at least a few years left in it. So this will only widen.

With 360, the division in itself has at least a moderate track record. X1 will probably not sell as well as 360, but I have no doubt it will outsell the origional Xbox. Probably somewhere in the middle with profit in the end. This I would say is more likely, where as yours is just fishing for the worst case scenerio with a skewed view of what has allready past. That ain't reality.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

There is no way MS would stop with the XBOX. It is a huge part of their public image, it was pretty much solely the XBOX that made them "cool" to the public. They are banking so much on the brand that their entire entertainment suite is named after it. They seem more interested in market share than immediate profit, with the XBO being a all in one media center it looks like they aim to control the living room and the media you consume, which is bound to bring in mass profits if it's a success.

sales2099 said:
Captain_Tom said:
sales2099 said:

Wouldn't call either Xbox generation a failure. Xbox did outsell Gamecube. But then again it didn't profit. 360 is almost at 80 million and in full profit. Would hardly call that a failure....seriously I can't imagine what you must be thinking to come up with that conclusion. 360 is now in full profit, and yet it has at least a few years left in it. So this will only widen.

With 360, the division in itself has at least a moderate track record. X1 will probably not sell as well as 360, but I have no doubt it will outsell the origional Xbox. Probably somewhere in the middle with profit in the end. This I would say is more likely, where as yours is just fishing for the worst case scenerio with a skewed view of what has allready past. That ain't reality.

The original Xbox created 5 Billion+ dollars of total  debt and bairly outsold the Gamecube (Which did horribly yet actually made a profit).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=MZSqFet36PGZBM&tbnid=EkFRnSW-tn_RHM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thisisbigbrother.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D6227203&ei=2wD4UcesJIjI9QTX9ICYCw&bvm=bv.49967636,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNFhm9jMLzXEL77qP3jrv-8bnP21kw&ust=1375294032308269

^Based on that chart I would guess the Xbox division is still at least a billion or two away from overall profit.  If they create a generation that makes a good amount of money then yeah it is worth staying the course.

However the OP asked what it would take for them to quit, and if they create another loss gen it is common sense to stop.  I never said they will!  I think they will do 40-60m and thus justify another go at it.  

Calm down, no need to go into full !!!XBOX DEFENSE MODE!!!.  I'm sure you are needed in another MS post...

I think the XB1 would need to bomb miserably for them to not make another one, and I mean like 20m or lower.