By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Microsoft showed it only cares about the US market

well if they don't do a nfl deal someone else does it and then it is big time loss for them.... that deal is more to avoid loss of market share than gain any.... sometimes you invest money not to create wealth to but avoid losing it....

Around the Network

but you are right they have to invest more in similar stuff in other markets.... and I'm sure they will once again the plan is to be a media center in the future (long term so including future gen).... the very existence of MS might very well rely on it... with the shift in customers habits

Somini said:
Azerth said:
Whike they should have had more there was sony even there? Cuz atleast ms showed up

The thread is about Microsoft and their efforts, or lack there off, in the different markets. Please stay on topic and don't bring any other party into the discussion.

How is that not relevant?  In fact, it's mentioned in the article.

Microsoft is there, but without a playable demo.  Sony either did the same, because they didn't have a playable demo, or as other people are saying wasn't there.

Why short-shift Microsoft because they're there without a playable demo, when the competition isn't either?  If this was a reasonable article, and not an indirect attempt at trolling, the writer wouldn't have gone the extra mile to lambast Microsoft and would have instead suggested Microsoft had a missed opportunity. 

The Xbox One's TV features are actually just as possible in the US as they are elsewhere.  The HDMI input actually isn't necessary to do what Microsoft is doing with the TV overlay.  You can do it without it, but what the Xbox One's HDMI input allows is for the Xbox One to be the device set between the TV or AV Receiver and everything else that uses HDMI. 

HDMI allows for two-way signaling.  Meaning, I can change the channel, get content information, or adjust the volume via HDMI.  Not all TVs may support it, but new, current TVs will.  So even if you're going over the wire, or a direct cable connection to the TV, the Xbox One can still interact with the TV.  I believe the challenge that Microsoft is facing, and the reason why right now it is supporting a limited market for the One Guide is because getting channel and programming information outside of the US is a lot more difficult than doing so in the US.

As I've stated in other threads, in the US there are services that provide that programming/channel information.  Outside of the US there may or there may not be.  If there are, then it stands to reason that Microsoft could easily integrate those services with the One Guide.  However, if there isn't than that creates a particular problem of how does Microsoft get that programming information?  If it's a service, it won't be that difficult, but if it's over-the-air then it's nearly impossible to do unless you create that service yourself.  

I doubt that the One Guide is even the biggest feature yet to be announced about the Xbox One.  So little has still been said about Skype and how it'll feature in the Xbox One, and certainly Skype will be something that is available worldwide.

crissindahouse said:
Somini said:
Azerth said:
Whike they should have had more there was sony even there? Cuz atleast ms showed up

The thread is about Microsoft and their efforts, or lack there off, in the different markets. Please stay on topic and don't bring any other party into the discussion.

sony is mentioned in your op, if you don't like that people compare it with sony which the techradar guy also did, post other articles.

Damn!  OP sees a negative Microsoft article, posts it to VGChartz, doesn't see there is something more negative about Sony in it, complains when people mention it. 

sales2099 said:
areason said:
endimion said:
areason said:
The US is Microsoft's best market, so i don't think they need to make the same effort their in order to get customers as in the rest of the world. Bad business decision by them.

wait so you actually think being at PAX would have been better business than being at comic con????

because beside that they are present to every major event this year on every major gaming continent...

once again Australia and PAX are completely irrelevant right now they'd be better off doing a sollow XB event in Qatar than australia

Not talking about pax or comic con, but speding 400 million on a deal with the nfl is a waste of money in a market where they already have very strong brand power compared to their compeition. 

You been comparing the madden sales for the last few years? That gap is shrinking and MS probably wants to be like it was in 2008 for instance.

I don't think the NFL deal has anything to do with Madden, to be honest.  The NFL watching/fantasy football playing crowd is not necessarily the same as the Madden crowd, but there is cross over.  Certainly.  Because of this you may see EA use the NFL deal to integrate Madden with your NFL Fantasy Football team so that you can manage your fantasy football team in Madden as well as play as that team in the game.  Which may be why Microsoft and EA are so chummy.

What I'm most surprised with is that Microsoft hasn't achieved such a deal with FIFA.  It'd be awesome to see a Fantasy Football where you could select players from regional football associations, and if you're good at your picks, have a team that goes national, and if you're really awesome a team that goes on to compete in FIFA.  Then again, keeping up with a FF team for four years would get tiresome.  Still.  To pick players from around the world that make it from a regional club, to their national club, and make it all the way to FIFA would be pretty damn impressive. 

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
sales2099 said:
areason said:
endimion said:
areason said:
The US is Microsoft's best market, so i don't think they need to make the same effort their in order to get customers as in the rest of the world. Bad business decision by them.

wait so you actually think being at PAX would have been better business than being at comic con????

because beside that they are present to every major event this year on every major gaming continent...

once again Australia and PAX are completely irrelevant right now they'd be better off doing a sollow XB event in Qatar than australia

Not talking about pax or comic con, but speding 400 million on a deal with the nfl is a waste of money in a market where they already have very strong brand power compared to their compeition. 

You been comparing the madden sales for the last few years? That gap is shrinking and MS probably wants to be like it was in 2008 for instance.

I don't think the NFL deal has anything to do with Madden, to be honest.  The NFL watching/fantasy football playing crowd is not necessarily the same as the Madden crowd, but there is cross over.  Certainly.  Because of this you may see EA use the NFL deal to integrate Madden with your NFL Fantasy Football team so that you can manage your fantasy football team in Madden as well as play as that team in the game.  Which may be why Microsoft and EA are so chummy.

What I'm most surprised with is that Microsoft hasn't achieved such a deal with FIFA.  It'd be awesome to see a Fantasy Football where you could select players from regional football associations, and if you're good at your picks, have a team that goes national, and if you're really awesome a team that goes on to compete in FIFA.  Then again, keeping up with a FF team for four years would get tiresome.  Still.  To pick players from around the world that make it from a regional club, to their national club, and make it all the way to FIFA would be pretty damn impressive. 

well they could already have deals with the bundes ligua, the premier league, la ligua and prima division... I already play fantasy football with the premier league app/website

no need to go with the fifa... but they could work up something with the fifa for the world cup next year.... now that would be big.... imagine a three way deal between MS the FIFA and EA... for broadcasting rights on FIFA XBox app (with a fee I don't care but have it there at least) a FIFA world cup game and a fantasy football app conbo... now that would be great... same thing with the UEFA and the euro cup next :D

What a coincidence, I don't care about MS either.

sales2099 said:
thehusbo said:
kowenicki said:

Try again.

Sony is mentioned in the op. Sony couldn't even be arsed showing up. ONE wins.

thanks for sharing this and showing how Microsoft care a bit, but Sony don't give a rats arse

What like how microsoft bothered showing up for gamescom, the biggest gamer event in the world and the tokyo game show last year? Thanks for showing how Sony care a bit, but microsoft don't give rats arse.

Try to stick the the current year when making a rebuttal to current events.

Both companies don't make it to events, thats not the point. The point is to not indirectly imply one cares while the other doesn't.

/end of thread

endimion said:
Adinnieken said:
sales2099 said:
areason said:
endimion said:
areason said:

well they could already have deals with the bundes ligua, the premier league, la ligua and prima division... I already play fantasy football with the premier league app/website

no need to go with the fifa... but they could work up something with the fifa for the world cup next year.... now that would be big.... imagine a three way deal between MS the FIFA and EA... for broadcasting rights on FIFA XBox app (with a fee I don't care but have it there at least) a FIFA world cup game and a fantasy football app conbo... now that would be great... same thing with the UEFA and the euro cup next :D

Yeah, I don't really know a lot about how football licensing works.  In the US, it's easy.  The only professional football league American's care about is the NFL.  The only non-professional football they care about, other than possibly high school, is NCAA College Football.

I just figured FIFA has control over all over football, but I guess the various football associations in which clubs participate likely have more clout than FIFA.  In which case, yeah.  If both Microsoft and EA got all the football associations into a licensing deal, they could end up with a pretty cool FF thing going on.   

MoHasanie said:
Well that's their main market and probably the only one they still have a small chance of doing well next generation. They will lose the UK because of the very high price. And they aren't even launching in many markets around the world in the first year so Sony will dominate those as well.

You realize that Sony isn't launching in every market either.  In fact, Sony has stated definitively that if you buy a PS4 in an unsupported market, that the games will not work.  Once agian, it's the same limitation that the Xbox One has.