By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One To Release In Kinect-Less Bundle in 2014 - Rumor

EpicRandy said:
IMO. It is more likely that Microsoft will make a version of the One without Blu Ray than without Kinect.

A Blu Ray may not be as expensive as a kinect but Microsoft will be able to reduce the price of the One in more than one way without it.
1) The Cost Blu Ray itself.
2) Royalties of the Blu Ray.
3) People with this version will not be able to buy used games then Microsoft can take a greater loss with it because it will result in a greater return on investment on average over years.

This actually makes the most since.  I don't really see much of a need of a blu-ray and even less so in a couple more years.

PS Just tried Amazon Prime last night, really liked it!  (HD Movie and TV show screaming.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Removing the Blu Ray drive doesn't make a lot of finacial sense since it adds $50 dollars to the console at most removing it wouldn't net much of a saving both to the consumer and MS.  Also the X1 is marketed as a multi media device so a Blu Ray drive is pretty much vital until Blu Rays become obsolete.   Also the majorit of consumers still don't have fast enough internet (plus a lot of them have data caps) so a drive less cosole still isn't very appealing to the majority of consumers.

Zappykins said:
warhalohog said:
well this sucks now that some of us have accepted the extra cost of xbox one i wanted to see some good kinect games which the developers tried due to mandatory

I think this group is trying to pull the biggest gag on the community.   Really in poor taste in my opinion.

An Xbox One without Kinect is just like a really good gaming machine, not an amamzing 'oh wow, this is great!' one.  I don't belive the rumor.

i hope your right as microsoft seem to be really shaky with their policy and vision which just makes us nervous

Chris Hu said:

Removing the Blu Ray drive doesn't make a lot of finacial sense since it adds $50 dollars to the console at most removing it wouldn't net much of a saving both to the consumer and MS.  Also the X1 is marketed as a multi media device so a Blu Ray drive is pretty much vital until Blu Rays become obsolete.   Also the majorit of consumers still don't have fast enough internet (plus a lot of them have data caps) so a drive less cosole still isn't very appealing to the majority of consumers.

yeah well that's why it is a possibility in the future not for right now.... we are talking 5 years from now.... by then at least in france in every major cities I hope I won't have to check were the fiber lines to make sure I'm raccorded when I move....
and the point of  removing the BR drive wouldn't be to make a good price cut but to make it a DD only box netting more revenue per sales by cutting off intermediaries and royalties.... most of the revenue is not generated by hardware sales anyway....

but yeah I agree with you it is not there yet.... but to me it would make more sense than to kill kinect by doing a kinect less bundle....

Wagram said:
Confirmed by Microsoft to not be true.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-shoots-down-rumors-of-kinect-free-xbox-one-bu-897031441

Well you can't expect them to confirm this, even if it was true. They wouldn't want people waiting till they get this cheaper version of the console. The latest would mean less sales, so it's a no brainer that they would deny it.

Around the Network

it would especially make no sense to do it next year anyway.... so I call the rumor BS anyway you can quote me... they'd be better off cutting the price and take a loss while keeping Kinect boxed in than drop it one year after launch when you won't have even a third of you core install base yet....
at that point it would be smarter to kill Kinect 2 all together before launch

I don't mind the Kinect being bundled with it. I'm not sure if I can believe this rumor, I'll take it with a grain of salt though. Although since I'm not getting my Xbox One until 2014 I guess I can look forward to a cheaper console if true. Big IF though.

Chris Hu said:

Blu-ray seems to be at the holding state, right before it starts the atrophy stage, much like DVD 10 years ago.  Blu ray players are about $60 or so for a decent version.  It is not supported  by Mac or Windows 8.  For it to be a major dominate format in the market it would need to still be growing.  But as seems like so many companies are all doing streaming right now, and most of the brick and motor video stores closed, I don't see it coming back.

Now if they used that extra space for a larger, say 1 T hard drive, and sold it for less, that might be a good choice for new consumers.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the quality, had the annoying menus and previews though.  I just think it's time has come, and it on it's way out.  Perhaps the can save it with 4K, but seems like everything, even that, is going streaming.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

A month ago before the 180 I would have laughed at this rumor. Now with the way Microsoft has suddenly decided to please the vocal core, I could even see it coming before launch. I doubt that, but I could see it happening.

Chris Hu said:

This does not prevent Microsoft from doing a package without it while keeping the basic model with it. If you don't have a fast enough internet connection or do not already own a Blu Ray you'll only have to buy the basic model. But if you already own a bluray player you may plug it to the Xbox One through the hdmi in and still use it as a media center.

Even if microsoft only save $30 -$35 from removing the Blu Ray. They will produce digital download only version of the Xbox One so basicaly they will obtain what they wanted before the 180 with those bundle which will eventually result by an increase of revenue on those bundles compare to the basic one on average. Microsoft may well want to take a greater loss on those in order to push them more than the basic bundle. So the $30-$35 saved on the Blu Ray may result in a $80 - $120 cheaper package for us.