By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One To Release In Kinect-Less Bundle in 2014 - Rumor

Well this could help sales but the Kinect is pretty important to the Xbox One so I don't see them doing this. But this is a smart idea to help undercut the PS4's price. Perhaps the former Windows lady is making some good decisions.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
CBOAT on GAF already laughed at this, so no chance in hell.
At least for now. Could be a long wrong strategy if XB1's don't sell much mid-late next year, but I'd believe an outright price cut of $50 or more (MS can afford to) would be a more sound strategy.

agreed especially since it is not on hardware they make money really.... XB1 and PS4 is to MS and Sony what a kindle is to amazon, just a platform to sell content and accessories....

I read somewhere that kinect "almost costs as much as the console itself".

It would stand against everything Don Mattrick stood for....but then again he f'd up hard and Xbox is under new management. Pricing and perception (tin foil crowd) means a lot.

I say do it.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

EpicRandy said:
IMO. It is more likely that Microsoft will make a version of the One without Blu Ray than without Kinect.

A Blu Ray may not be as expensive as a kinect but Microsoft will be able to reduce the price of the One in more than one way without it.
1) The Cost Blu Ray itself.
2) Royalties of the Blu Ray.
3) People with this version will not be able to buy used games then Microsoft can take a greater loss with it because it will result in a greater return on investment on average over years.

LOL that is not going to happen Blu Ray drives are dirt cheap right now.  This is not 2006 where the drive in the PS3 cost $500 as a matter of fact I'm sure the Blu Ray drive in the X1 cost MS less then $50.  As for royalties per disc they are only slightly higher then DVD royalties.

Confirmed by Microsoft to not be true.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-shoots-down-rumors-of-kinect-free-xbox-one-bu-897031441

Around the Network
Wagram said:

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-shoots-down-rumors-of-kinect-free-xbox-one-bu-897031441

booo well thats me out again for probably a couple of years, unless they do some aggresive prive cutting sooner. 

Chris Hu said:
EpicRandy said:
IMO. It is more likely that Microsoft will make a version of the One without Blu Ray than without Kinect.

A Blu Ray may not be as expensive as a kinect but Microsoft will be able to reduce the price of the One in more than one way without it.
1) The Cost Blu Ray itself.
2) Royalties of the Blu Ray.
3) People with this version will not be able to buy used games then Microsoft can take a greater loss with it because it will result in a greater return on investment on average over years.

LOL that is not going to happen Blu Ray drives are dirt cheap right now.  This is not 2006 where the drive in the PS3 cost $500 as a matter of fact I'm sure the Blu Ray drive in the X1 cost MS less then $50.  As for royalties per disc they are only slightly higher then DVD royalties.

well while I agree it won't happen next year and they are dirt cheap.
I can see a all DD without BR drive slim box with a XBL gold plan in the future at 200 bucks

and yeah royalties is relevant if you multiply it by several milions it becomes really relevent, this exactly the reason why we count money with at least 6 figures behind  the dot in finance.

what he is saying makes way more business sense than removing the kinect.... it would be smarter to remove the BR put it a 350 bucks take a 100 dollars loss and push DD with great sales in a year or two than remove the kinect and make a net loss on the kinect and future development for it.....

A moderator can lock this thread.

Xenostar said:
Wagram said:

booo well thats me out again for probably a couple of years, unless they do some aggresive prive cutting sooner. 

and that's exactly why they will not do a kinect less bundle. people remotly interested in the XB1 for one reason or an other, beside the privacy freaks, will eventually buy it when the price is right.

they don't expect 100 million sales the first year anyway.

ArnoldRimmer said:
Zappykins said:

I don't agree with you assumption that most don't use it.  Kinect Adventures the pack in with Kinect was as of last week still the 11th most purchased game title in North America!  It's still selling quite well, even with X1 and Kinect 2.0 just months away.

That's hardly a good counter-argument, is it?

People buying Kinect Adventures, the pack with the Kinect hardware (" #161 in Video Games"), are obviously not using Kinect yet. If they already had the Kinect sensor, they could simply buy Kinect Adventures standalone, available for 3.99 $ at Amazon ("#1,554 in Video Games").

Most of the people buying this will, like me and millions of others, enjoy a great new experience for a few hours or days, then it simply starts collecting dust, or it's usefulness is reduced to being a 150$ microphone.

But anyway, if those rumors should be true, I still think Microsoft is making a bad decision.

OK, first it hasn't been $150 in a long, long time.  If you just want to bag on Kinect, at least be current. 

Second, yes, because people would just give them to someone else if they were just 'worthless collecting dust.'

Not sure what you expected it to do, or for you to do with it, if you only used it for a few hours.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!