By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last Of Us Equals COD Record In The UK

taus90 said:
Angelus said:

First off, summer for me is june-july. Maybe the first half of august.

Second, I guess our definitions do vary because the only top tier game you listed that came out during those times is MGS4. Everything else you listed is far from top tier, or in the case of Rockstar games had a typical pre-summer release during May.

And since I'm pretty sure MGS4 probably sold more units than the Last of Us, that only validates my point. Top tier games will sell. Whenever.

It sounds like ur definition is more for ur sake of argument. What make The last of Us a new IP!? top tier game compared to Infamous 1 and 2, Read Dead & L A Noire, Specs ops, max payne 3 not, all were high production AAA titles! so what make TLoU different from them?

What makes it a new IP? Uhm....the fact that it's not an existing property. What does that have to do with anything?

Infamous isn't top tier, because no matter when it releases it will never sell more than maybe 2 million units lifetime.

Red Dead was a top tier game, came out in before summer, and sold incredibly well. L.A. Noire wasn't quite top tier unfortunately (close though), but it also released before summer and sold pretty well. Max Payne was again the same deal, except they deviated too much from the tone of what people expect from Max Payne, and it kinda bombed as a result.

Spec Ops? Top tier? Uhm......lol

A top tier game is a game with the potential to sell at least 5 million units lifetime. A game of that calibur can release whenever. CoD, Halo, Battlefield, Gran Tourism, Mario, Elder Scrolls, Uncharted, Fallout, GTA, Assassin's Creed......you get the point.

They will do great numbers no matter when they come out.

What makes the Last of Us different from the other games you mentioned? Top tier studio. Coming off developing a top tier franchise in Uncharted. Everything going for it.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be misunderstanding what some of us are saying. Or at least what I think they're saying. For my part, I'm not in the least taking credit from TLoU for it's sales. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm saying "look at this people! Why aren't more studios releasing some of their top tier games in the summer, where there is less heat on them than during the holidays?" I'm saying that the Last of Us is a top tier game, that most other titles can't measure up to. How are you guys trying to spin this into a negative?

You're so obsessed with defending your precious game that you don't even realize that nobody is attacking it to begin with. Top tier games sell. That's my only point. Of course other people are also right to point out that if several top tier games release in the same time frame, it's highly unlikely for one to consistently hold the top spot for weeks. 

Around the Network

So are we saying now that May is some amazing month for game releases, where its difficult to get number 1 even for AAA games.

Angelus said:
taus90 said:
Angelus said:

Second, I guess our definitions do vary because the only top tier game you listed that came out during those times is MGS4. Everything else you listed is far from top tier, or in the case of Rockstar games had a typical pre-summer release during May.

And since I'm pretty sure MGS4 probably sold more units than the Last of Us, that only validates my point. Top tier games will sell. Whenever.

It sounds like ur definition is more for ur sake of argument. What make The last of Us a new IP!? top tier game compared to Infamous 1 and 2, Read Dead & L A Noire, Specs ops, max payne 3 not, all were high production AAA titles! so what make TLoU different from them?

What makes it a new IP? Uhm....the fact that it's not an existing property. What does that have to do with anything?

Infamous isn't top tier, because no matter when it releases it will never sell more than maybe 2 million units lifetime.

Red Dead was a top tier game, came out in before summer, and sold incredibly well. L.A. Noire wasn't quite top tier unfortunately (close though), but it also released before summer and sold pretty well. Max Payne was again the same deal, except they deviated too much from the tone of what people expect from Max Payne, and it kinda bombed as a result.

A top tier game is a game with the potential to sell at least 5 million units lifetime. A game of that calibur can release whenever. CoD, Halo, Battlefield, Gran Tourism, Mario, Elder Scrolls, Uncharted, Fallout, GTA, Assassin's Creed......you get the point.

What makes the Last of Us different from the other games you mentioned? Top tier studio. Coming off developing a top tier franchise in Uncharted. Everything going for it.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be misunderstanding what some of us are saying. Or at least what I think they're saying. For my part, I'm not in the least taking credit from TLoU for it's sales. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm saying "look at this people! Why aren't more studios releasing some of their top tier games in the summer, where there is less heat on them than during the holidays?" I'm saying that the Last of Us is a top tier game, that most other titles can't measure up to. How are you guys trying to spin this into a negative?

You're so obsessed with defending your precious game that you don't even realize that nobody is attacking it to begin with. Top tier games sell. That's my only point. Of course other people are also right to point out that if several top tier games release in the same time frame, it's highly unlikely for one to consistently hold the top spot for weeks. 

1 inFAMOUS PS3 2009 Action Sony Computer Entertainment 1.57 0.56 0.12 0.37 2.63

You were saying?

riderz13371 said:

You were saying?

Sorry, typo. I meant to say 3. Doesn't change my point at all. If you read the rest of it you'd clearly see that I stated a top tier game had the potential to sell at least 5 mill lifetime. Infamous is far off

Good for Naughty Dog. They should release all their games in the summer.
Its not a surprise it beat COD since it has no competition.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

While it is true that it had no competition that is not the sole reason that it did this(even though I always thought that this was the WORSE time to release a game from what most have said) If that were the case we would be talking about lots of games that came out with "no competition" that did this...but we don't.

Anyway...Congrats ND well deserved for a great game!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

You heard it here first everyone. A top tier game is not about budget or high production value, it’s not about marketing or publicity. It’s about the hype, the potential of a game. It’s about what games that dev did in the past. It’s about the games of the last week of May being pre-summer and June 14th being summer. So all you fans wanting Microsoft to release Crackdown 3, why bother? It’s not a top tier series because it didn’t sell 5 million! Now I finally understand..

Angelus said:
taus90 said:
Angelus said:

from my basic knowledge summer is may- august.. and the games u written off, which according to u doesnt fit ur time frame of summer, were infact summer releases.. Again you havent answered what makes The Last of Us a New IP a 5mil+ seller and Spec ops the line a shooter didnt .. coz of Naughty dogs heritage?? well if so than it has still done better than RDR and LA Noire.. and LOL Max Payne changed too much thats why its disqualified as a top tier game 

U wanted top tier games there u have it... if that doesnt fit ur time line of ur summer releases than thats ur problem.. coz for the world its different. and the only thing ur playing down is that Last of Us didnt had any hype and sold coz of no competition

Angelus said:
riderz13371 said:

You were saying?

Sorry, typo. I meant to say 3. Doesn't change my point at all. If you read the rest of it you'd clearly see that I stated a top tier game had the potential to sell at least 5 mill lifetime. Infamous is far off

Does a psychic tells u that which games have potential to sell 5 mil+ lifetime  before release... and also in that sense i dont think the last of us has yet crossed 5 mill so its not a top tier yet.. and what abut top tier franchises, what are its criteria? :D

Wow, congrats to Naughty Dog again XD Glad to see them getting a lot of attention lately. Great developers and great games.

EDIT: Why are people arguing about release dates?  It is an accomplishment whether it was released today or on Cucumber the 5th.