By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retailers are a part of the Wii U problem

eFKac said:

I think that everything is the problem just not Nintendo.

Give me a break, the boxes are different, people would know. In Poland, Vita, if they are selling games for it at all, also doesn't have it's own shelf space,(if there is no PS Vita stand that obviously SONY put there paying money so the handheld is visible), and the few games there are, are merged with PSP titles.

Trust me, consumers won't know the difference. Have you never heard the several stories of people buying 3DS games for their child's DS? Well, they are out there somewhere, and it's kind of scary how dumb consumers can be.

OT: Both my GameStop, Target, and WalMart have each Nintendo console seperate. Which is a feat in and of it's self since my town's WalMart and GameStop aren't the brightest of the bunch.

Also, consumers are a large piece of the puzzle when and if we have to put blame on somebody/something. Consumers seem to confuse themselves way too easily and then you get the stories about how somebody's Mom bought them a 3DS game for their DS.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

You don't see Vita fans making excuses as on why it's not selling even close to we expected for a stupid reason such as this.  What ends you go to defending the consoles sales makes you look a bit pathetic honestly. 

Oh yes, because "Vita Fans" haven't made up any ridiculous excuses for why the Vita isn't selling. They're just too good for that.

NintendoPie said:
eFKac said:

Give me a break, the boxes are different, people would know. In Poland, Vita, if they are selling games for it at all, also doesn't have it's own shelf space,(if there is no PS Vita stand that obviously SONY put there paying money so the handheld is visible), and the few games there are, are merged with PSP titles.

Trust me, consumers won't know the difference. Have you never heard the several stories of people buying 3DS games for their child's DS? Well, they are out there somewhere, and it's kind of scary how dumb consumers can be.

OT: Both my GameStop, Target, and WalMart have each Nintendo console seperate. Which is a feat in and of it's self since my town's WalMart and GameStop aren't the brightest of the bunch.

Also, consumers are a large piece of the puzzle when and if we have to put blame on somebody/something. Consumers seem to confuse themselves way too easily and then you get the stories about how somebody's Mom bought them a 3DS game for their DS.

This right here.  Not only do people still think the Wii U is an add on for the Wii like the Sega 32 X, but I once went to get a copy of a 3DS game at E.B. Games and the guy told me before I could buy it that it wouldn't work on the DS and I almost facepalmed from the realization that enough people had tried to put 3DS games in a DS that they now had to inform people before they could purchase a 3DS game.  

~.~

Xenostar said:
silly argument as 3DS and software is selling fairly well, so people clearly aren't confused, Wii U boxes are distinct from Wii boxes even if they are put together, its just Nintendo's fault, the've made a console that's just not appealing to most people.

Its all on them to change the perception of the console.

Haha, no.   People are.  It's been said before, but the general public does believe that the Wii U is a device to update the Wii to HD and that 3DS games work on the DS.   

jake_the_fake1 said:
Nope, Still Nintnedo's problem, remember these retailers don't care about Nintendo's image or how their products are advertised or set up, that's Nintendo's business and since Nintendo buys shelf space then they can demand how there products are shown and where they are located, such as at the front of the shop or near the back.

At the end of the day retailers are there to move products and make money, they don't care if the WiiU and Wii games are jumbled, they just care that they sell, if Nintendo doesn't like it they can have this sorted and the retailer will comply...so it may seem that maybe, just maybe Nintendo may not care either.

You have obviously never worked retail. EVER.

Employees that work in retail, even if they were told to set a shelf a certain way, DON'T CARE, how shit is presented.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
eFKac said:

Give m. Abreak, the boxes are different, people would know. In Poland, Vita, if they are selling games for it at all, also doesn't have it's own shelf space,(if there is no PS Vita stand that obviously SONY put there paying money so the handheld is visible), and the few games there are, are merged with PSP titles.

This comment is hilariously ironic.  Basically you say the shared cabinet space with Wii is not hurting the Wii U because Vita doesn't have its own cabinet space and... you know... Vita is selling amazing.

OT:  Lack of dedicated space would hurt any product.  My experience in Canada is that Wii U has its own space.  Certainy at Walmart it usually has the best space in the games section. Little less good space at some Gamestops.  Of course it seems to sell OK here.

Yeah, but noone brings that up as an excuse for the horrible sales that Vita suffers. Even though Vita and the PSP look similar on pictures. Maybe I should start bringing that up. The huge PSP sales in Europe are all because people want to buy the Vita but keep buying PSPs by accident.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
eFKac said:

Give m. Abreak, the boxes are different, people would know. In Poland, Vita, if they are selling games for it at all, also doesn't have it's own shelf space,(if there is no PS Vita stand that obviously SONY put there paying money so the handheld is visible), and the few games there are, are merged with PSP titles.

This comment is hilariously ironic.  Basically you say the shared cabinet space with Wii is not hurting the Wii U because Vita doesn't have its own cabinet space and... you know... Vita is selling amazing.

OT:  Lack of dedicated space would hurt any product.  My experience in Canada is that Wii U has its own space.  Certainy at Walmart it usually has the best space in the games section. Little less good space at some Gamestops.  Of course it seems to sell OK here.

Yeah, but noone brings that up as an excuse for the horrible sales that Vita suffers. Even though Vita and the PSP look similar on pictures. Maybe I should start bringing that up. The huge PSP sales in Europe are all because people want to buy the Vita but keep buying PSPs by accident.

Thats not what this is about, im not saying the only reason Wii U isnt selling is because people get confused in store, there are many contributing factors, and Brand confusion is known to be one of these.

my point is that (certain)retailers ,in the UK at least, are not helping themselves with their in store presentation and layout with regards to the Wii U.

Vita has its own game section in every store i have been in by the way, 3DS does not.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

NintendoPie said:
eFKac said:

I think that everything is the proju just not Nintendo.

Sure, of course there will be people (parents or children) that just want to buy a game as a gift or something, but are totally green when it comes to anything video games. I just don't think that there are enough of these people to make a significant difference in the big picture of Wii U problems.

Greatness Awaits!

Cleary397 said:
eFKac said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
eFKac said:

This comment is hilariously ironic.  Basically you say the shared cabinet space with Wii is not hurting the Wii U because Vita doesn't have its own cabinet space and... you know... Vit. elling amazing.

Thats not what this is about, im not saying the only reason Wii U isnt selling is because people get confused in store, there are many contributing factors, and Brand confusion is known to be one of these.

my point is that (certain)retailers ,in the UK at least, are not helping themselves with their in store presentation and layout with regards to the Wii U.

Vita has its own game section in every store i have been in by the way, 3DS does not.

Read your OP and I am aware, even if I don't really agree with your statement, many people in this thread already explained why it's still in big part Nintendo's fault even when it comes to retail.

It's just the fact that a lot of people brought this up after launch as a major reason why Wii U sales were failing, that I again don't agree with.

Greatness Awaits!

looks like a messy store