By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Sony have a mascot?

Sony Mascot?

Kratos 62 23.13%

Nathan Drake 52 19.40%

Sackboy 65 24.25%

GT car...? 27 10.07%

Not voting 62 23.13%

Total:268

Choose an official mascot!

I was just wondering who you guys thought Sony's mascot was. Unlike Nintendo or Microsoft, Sony doesn't seem to have one (or 2) character that stands out over the rest.

For Nintendo most people would say Mario (I'd argue Pikachu myself) and Master Chief is definitely Microsofts...but who does Sony have? I think they used to have Crash but since he's gone...who is it?

If I had to pick one, I'd say Nathan Drake but is he all that recognizable by the general public? Make your pick!

(Side note, is Mario or Pikachu Nintendo's?)

Around the Network

Well it depends, in the West they don't but in Japan they have that Cat mascot that appeared in PSABR. I was rather hoping Sackboy would become one in the West but he hasn't been popular enough, don't really know who I'd call the mascot for the West for Sony or if they really have one.

I think Sony has multiple mascots for everyone.

For the younger audiences they use Sackboy.

For the older audiences they'll probably use Drake or Kratos.

They do.... sort of. Toro the cat.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Crash was the first... after that Sackboy get close to that.

Kratos is a good option too.

And if you uses the biggest IP (like Halo for MS) then Gran Turismo is the name.

Around the Network

I'd agree with you that Sony has a mascot identity problem, but maybe it's a good problem to have. With so many first party franchise characters and no one really standing out significantly above the rest, it's kind of a testament to the variety of gaming in the PlayStation universe. You could argue for many, but the top picks would probably be Drake, Sackboy, or Kratos.

For awhile they really grabbed a marketing identity with Kevin Butler, though I think that relationship is over as they've moved to a new marketing team and there was some dispute about a Bridgestone ad Butler's actor was in that featured Wii remotes.

The mascot is definitely not the creepy "Play B3yond" baby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkNPcUMffU

Edit: Mario is Nintendo's mascot, IMO

It's Kratos, he's by far the most popular character on PlayStation. Sackboy for the younger gamers.

http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore?q=Kratos#q=Kratos%2C%20Nathan%20Drake%2C%20Sackboy&cmpt=q

Just randomly searched to see who is more popular, Kratos or Master Chief. You'd expect the Chief to be far more popular considering how huge Halo is, but you'd be wrong... http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore?q=Kratos#q=Kratos%2C%20Master%20Chief&cmpt=q

Yeah, it's defintely Kratos for Sony. Now I want to see a 3 way fight to the death between Master Chief, Super Mario and Kratos!

In some sense you could argue that the characters in the first PSASBR commercial are their biggest mascots (currently). Kratos, Cole, Sackboy and Drake. With the exception of Cole the others seem plausible.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Yeh, me :)

Torillian said:
Well it depends, in the West they don't but in Japan they have that Cat mascot that appeared in PSABR. I was rather hoping Sackboy would become one in the West but he hasn't been popular enough, don't really know who I'd call the mascot for the West for Sony or if they really have one.

Does Toro even count? I don't live in Japan but the fact that he is virtually unknown in the U.S says it all doesn't it? I mean, Hello Kitty is known here despite being mainly in Japan.

I was really hoping Sackboy was going to take on that role too but sadly it didn't happen. To be honest, I blame Sony for not pushing it harder because it definitely had the potential.

ethomaz said:

And if you uses the biggest IP (like Halo for MS) then Gran Turismo is the name.

Gran Turismo doesn't have a face to go with it though so it will never get that brand recognition.