By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U's main graphical disadvantage is the lack of a studio like Naughty Dog or Santa Monica

Nintendo has plenty of studios that will push the envelope graphically. The only thing they won't or probably won't do is Movie games like Uncharted or The Last of Us, which are very good at showcasing graphical capabilities of a system. Take a look at X, it really does look fantastic.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
DevilRising said:
NightDragon83 said:
No one is trying because Nintendo themselves have set a precedent that graphics don't really matter, and that taking a minimalist approach to visuals as long as your game sells decent enough is the way to go with the Wii U.

Basing this the whopping handful of titles you've yet seen from Nintendo for Wii U. Right.

Also, Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, hell even Pikmin 3, I'd hardly call any of those graphically lazy or "minimalist". And we haven't even seen the new Zelda, or a potential new Star Fox, or Wave Race, or F-Zero, etc. Any one of those games hold the potential to look amazing.

The way people are overreacting is kind of hilarious. Akin to assuming that all SNES games were going to only ever look as good as Super Mario World, or that all PSX games were only ever going to look as good as Jumping Flash.

Actually Super Mario World was one of the best looking games of its day on consoles.  It didn't look like a game that was capable on last-gen consoles when it came out, thats for sure.  Nor did Super Mario 64, or Rogue Squadron II or Melee. All the other games you mentioned look like Wii games in HD, with the exception of Bayonetta, which looks exactly like a PS360 game.

you're only lying to yourself. and with your (lack of) logic, one can argue that ps4/xone titles don't even look like ps360 titles in hd.

HikenNoAce said:
curl-6 said:
HikenNoAce said:

Because it only won 2 GOTY awards - so as many as Spec Ops and Sleeping Dogs.

Big deal. Like reviews, GOTY awards are just a popularity contest, the glorified opinions of a small group of people.

How is it different from you saying that X looks better than TLoU?

just to start, X looking a lot better than tlou is not a matter of opinion.

Scoobes said:

I acually think the difference between PC and consoles will take less time to become apparent then last gen. As powerful as these consoles are they're not more powerful then a top end PC and by the time the next graphics architecture is out the difference should be quite plain to see. 

How long did it take last time? I know the first Crysis in 2007 was beyond PS3/360 level, was there anything before then?

curl-6 said:

The Wii U may not be a cutting edge powerhouse, but it's definitely capable of producing beautiful visuals; after all, the PS3 and 360 produced some absolute stunners with half as much RAM and older GPUs.

The thing is that nobody's trying.

Nintendo's priority clearly isn't on pushing visual  boundaries. Even the 1st party who pushed the Wii's limits, like Tokyo EAD and Retro, seem content to do Wii-graphics-in-HD on Wii U. And third parties? They're barely bothering to do ports at all.

The thing is, graphics are about more than just the hardware.

Games like Uncharted 2-3, The Last of Us, and God of War Ascension look as good as they do because they were built by teams of technically brilliant people for whom pushing technological boundaries was a very high proirity. Wii U simply doesn't have any such studios. 

What's really sad about this post is that your avatar is FROM THE VERY KIND OF STUDIO YOU ARE SAYING DOESN'T EXIST FOR NINTENDO.

You are also completely ignoring that the first year of any console is the dumbest time to judge it's graphics.  Many first-year games began or even concluded development on unfinished dev kits, and that it takes time for developers to discover all the nooks and crannies in the hardware.  

Or did you somehow convince yourself that all the best graphical representations of every console released in their first year?  Was Super Mario Galaxy a year 1 Wii title?  Was Donkey Kong Country a year 1 SNES title?  Was THE LAST OF US A YEAR ONE PLAYSTATION 3 TITLE?  No to each and every one of these.  

Your argument is flawed from the get-go.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Scoobes said:

I acually think the difference between PC and consoles will take less time to become apparent then last gen. As powerful as these consoles are they're not more powerful then a top end PC and by the time the next graphics architecture is out the difference should be quite plain to see. 

How long did it take last time? I know the first Crysis in 2007 was beyond PS3/360 level, was there anything before then?

It probably was Crysis, so about 2 years from the start of the gen. By the holiday 2014 or early 2015 I think PC will start to pull away again. For most of 2014 I think they'll be fairly equal.

Hmmm... actually, if you count WiiU it actually would be about 2 yrs, lol.

ninjablade said:
curl-6 said:
ninjablade said:

well i meant big games with a nice budget, 3d mario, mario kart and X, are all due in 2014, third party support will be very rare by then.

Nintendo announce big games with like 6-9 months to go to release all the time, they could very easily anounce several 2014 games they haven't yet.

this is false, there might be a rare exception, but nintendo anounces games and they usually come out a year and a half later.

everyone announces games that come out a year and a half later. but MOST NINTENDO GAMES are announced 6-9 months before release.

let me refresh your poor memory: one/two months ago, nintendo announced mario 3d world, dk tf, mario kart 8, sonic lost worlds, mario and sonic... all to be released 6-9 months after. there are titles confirmed for 2014 as well as LOTS OF unannounced titles for 2014. of course you know that but your hater level makes you try everything to distort the truth.

Resident_Hazard said:
curl-6 said:

The Wii U may not be a cutting edge powerhouse, but it's definitely capable of producing beautiful visuals; after all, the PS3 and 360 produced some absolute stunners with half as much RAM and older GPUs.

The thing is that nobody's trying.

Nintendo's priority clearly isn't on pushing visual  boundaries. Even the 1st party who pushed the Wii's limits, like Tokyo EAD and Retro, seem content to do Wii-graphics-in-HD on Wii U. And third parties? They're barely bothering to do ports at all.

The thing is, graphics are about more than just the hardware.

Games like Uncharted 2-3, The Last of Us, and God of War Ascension look as good as they do because they were built by teams of technically brilliant people for whom pushing technological boundaries was a very high proirity. Wii U simply doesn't have any such studios. 

What's really sad about this post is that your avatar is FROM THE VERY KIND OF STUDIO YOU ARE SAYING DOESN'T EXIST FOR NINTENDO.

You are also completely ignoring that the first year of any console is the dumbest time to judge it's graphics.  Many first-year games began or even concluded development on unfinished dev kits, and that it takes time for developers to discover all the nooks and crannies in the hardware.  

Or did you somehow convince yourself that all the best graphical representations of every console released in their first year?  Was Super Mario Galaxy a year 1 Wii title?  Was Donkey Kong Country a year 1 SNES title?  Was THE LAST OF US A YEAR ONE PLAYSTATION 3 TITLE?  No to each and every one of these.  

I'm not criticising their results, I'm criticising the amount of effort they put in. It'd be one thing if their early games showed growing pains, (Pikmin 3) that I can understand. Systems never show their full power from day 1, and Nintendo is new to HD development. What I don't understand is games like Mario 3D World. That's not difficulty, that's laziness.

I don't expect them to make the Wii U's best looking games in its first year. But I did expect them to try.

X does look amazing though, yes.  Monolith are very talented, and clearly making an effort. I'm just not sure if they're as technically minded as ND or Santa Monica.

curl-6 said:
Resident_Hazard said:

I'm not criticising their results, I'm criticising the amount of effort they put in. It'd be one thing if their early games showed growing pains, (Pikmin 3) that I can understand. Systems never show their full power from day 1, and Nintendo is new to HD development. What I don't understand is games like Mario 3D World. That's not difficulty, that's laziness.

I don't expect them to make the Wii U's best looking games in its first year. But I did expect them to try.

X does look amazing though, yes.  Monolith are very talented, and clearly making an effort. I'm just not sure if they're as technically minded as ND or Santa Monica.

what exactly is lazy about mario 3d world?

This is just as bad as the "Could the Wii U run X, Bayonetta 2 and MK 8" thread. 

Nintendo and PC gamer