By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mistakes a console companies tend to make

I just figured I'd start a topic on some of the biggest mistakes console makers have made and can make when releasing a system...

1. Price too high - Sega Saturn, PS3, 3DO, Neo Geo, Apple Pippin

2. Lack of games available at launch- Sega Saturn, N64, Sega 32X, PS2

3. System reliability - Xbox 360, Ps2, PS1, Atari Jaguar, Atari 5200

4. Pointless Ad-ons - Sega 32X, Jaguar CD, 64DD

5. Difficult to program for - PS3, Sega Saturn, PS2, N64

6. Lack of or bad copyright protection to prevent piracy - Xbox 360, Wii, Dreamcast, 3DO, Sega CD, PSP - While some of these had copyright protection, for those systems listed it was broken in less than a year

7. Short Supply - Wii, PS2

8. Unnecessary Censorship - SNES, n64

9. Allowing only 3-5 games per company per year - NES, SNES

10. No 3rd party support - N64, Sega Saturn, Tubographix, Master System, gamecube

11. Using the wrong media format - N64(cardriges), PSP (UMD disks - think of the load time that could have been avoided if memory stick was used instead to load games)

12. Awful PR - Saturn, PS3, Jaguar

13. Gone mad with power (thinking technically superior means best) - PS3, Jaguar, 3DO, Neo Geo

14. Bad console idea to begin with - Virtual Boy, Sega 32X, Philips CDi

15. Underestimating your competitor - Snes(for underestimating Genesis), Saturn(for PS1), PS3 and XBOX 360(for wii)

Any other ones come to mind?

Around the Network

6. Lack of or bad copyright protection to prevent piracy - Xbox 360, Wii, Dreamcast, 3DO, Sega CD, PSP

it's not that it's bad (even the PS3 is close to getting hacked), it's the hackers that are really smart. That's also the reason alot of hackers get hired by software protection companies

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

7. Not making enough - Wii

8. Making them run too hot /too noisy - X360

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

releasing to many versions

Around the Network
Press_the_Button said:
8. Making them run too hot /too noisy - X360

LOL...lets not get too picky here. I'd say that is part of system reliability. Oooo I got another one...

8. Not including blood in a specific fighting game - SNES

In terms of limited supply. I believe Wii has merely been the longest running with this issue, while 360, PS2, PS3, DS lite have all had supply constraints at some time, usually only at the initial launch.

Too hot/Too noisy falls under system reliability, lets try to actually keep this as a reasonable discussion and not as a fanboy pissing match.

Rather that saying releasing too many versions, I think that issue should be changed to having too many different SKUs on the market at once. PS2 had a number of revisions, but from what I recall, they simply updated the system and that was it, they didn't have multiple versions out at the same time. Same for the GBA and the DS
So with that refinement made, the PS3 and 360 fall into that category.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Underestimating game and system sales constantly - Nitendo Wii

Honestly. :P

@disolitude

wouldn't that be more like 8. extreme censorship

also
9. Allowing only 3-5 games per company per year

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

disolitude said:

I just figured I'd start a topic on some of the biggest mistakes console makers have made and can make when releasing a system...

1. Price too high - Sega Saturn, PS3, 3DO, Neo Geo

2. Lack of games available at launch- Sega Saturn, N64, Sega 32X

3. System reliability - Xbox 360, Ps2, PS1, Atari Jaguar, Atari 5200

4. Pointless Ad-ons - Sega 32X, Jaguar CD

5. Difficult to program for - PS3, Sega Saturn

6. Lack of or bad copyright protection to prevent piracy - Xbox 360, Wii, Dreamcast, 3DO, Sega CD, PSP

Any other ones come to mind?

Add PS2 to "lack of games available at launch" and add PS2 and N64 to "difficult to program for."

10. Destroying 3rd party support - N64